No St. Thomas rental cars allowed on St. John! UPDATE -

Travel discussion for St. John
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

A 60 day grace period is helpful but will merely delay the pain for many of us...

I've written the Governor and Sen. Barshinger...

Keep those calls and letters flowing!

If this were the 60's I'd say "Power to the People!"

Oh, what the heck...

Power to the People!!!
augie

Post by augie »

I'd say "Power to the people" too if I were in my, er, I mean - if it was, the 60s!

:wink:

What the heck - close enough - "Power to the People (right on)!"
Come see us!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I spoke with Mirna George who said she was Assistant Director at the DMV, she said a letter is being drafted and faxed to rental agencies informing them that the law goes into effect June 30th. She assured me that until then there will be no problems with rental vehicles being taken to St John.
Tickerless :(
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I've already received a response to my email to Mr. Browne. He doesn't seem to understand the full impact.
This is a recently amended law that we are informing the car rental agencies which we regulate. St. John has several car rental agencies that can fill that void and will be happy to meet your needs. Coordination can be made through the car rental agency that you have contacted on St. Thomas, or the Department of Tourism can help. However, we have given a 60 day grace period for reservations that have already been finalized. Thanks.

Jerris T. Browne
Director
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
(340)713-4268 ext. 226
(340)713-0855 fax
(340)643-0058 cell
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

thank you! we are covered then. now to try to cancel the St. John vehicle I just booked...
CBama

Post by CBama »

Just received the same response but replied back inquiring abou reservations already finalized that just exceed the 60 day timeframe.

Hoping the June 30 deadline above is accurate.

If we know a definite date then we can make our plans accordingly. Either keep our reservations or try to book on St John
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

This does not make me happy. This is the response I just received:

The BMV is only informing the car rental agencies which we regulate, of a recent change in the law. However, we have agreed to a 60 day grace period before implementation. There are several local car rental agencies on St. John that can meet your needs. Coordination can be made through the St. Thomas car rental agency that you are doing business with, or contact the Department of Tourism for more information. Thanks for your concern.

Jerris T. Browne
Director
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
(340)713-4268 ext. 226
(340)713-0855 fax
(340)643-0058 cell

I have had a reservation with Amalie for two months. They should honor all reservations that have been made thus far.
Jenn, News of St. John
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

OK... it's apparent they're giving everyone the same response regardless of what your email to them actually said.
MIke

Post by MIke »

Will someone who is smarter than me,or who has been following this closer,tell me whether I can keep my rental car from Dependable for our trip June 18th-25th.
They will also have to submit a $1000.00 surety bond to go with any "yes" answers.

Augie,
I'm glad you corrected my previos post.

Mike
CBama

Post by CBama »

Mike, it really depends on when the 60 day timeframe begins, and if they will honor until June 30th...

using a julian calendar and beginning on April 18 (109) and comparing to June 18th (170) the difference is 61 days....so really depends on when the 60 days begins...
tochin

Post by tochin »

I emailed Mr Browne of the BMV and his reply was similiar to everyone elses:

This is an amended law recently enacted by the VI Legislature that the BMV must inform the car rental agencies which we regulate. However, to accommodate tourists who have already finalized their travel, we have agreed to a 60-day grace period before implementation. Nevertheless, St. John has several car rental agencies who can meet your needs with little coordination by the St. Thomas car rental agency or the Department of Tourism. Thanks for your concern.

Jerris T. Browne
Director
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
(340)713-4268 ext. 226
(340)713-0855 fax
(340)643-0058 cell

I then emailed the Governor and the Tourism Board.
The governor's office has yet to reply.

The tourism board replied:

Thank you for your letter and concern for our industry partners. The Tourism Department has been notified about the implementation of the existing inter island rental car law, and we are working closely with the Director of the DMV. As of today, the DMV will be implementing a 60 day grace period for all rental car agencies. We hope that before this period is up, we are able to negotiate a fair solution for everyone.

Alani Henneman Todman
Public Relations Manager
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

A fair solution?!!! How about keeping it the way it is?! Someone is benefiting from this, I just like to know who. My thought is it's those 2 new ferries that they are leasing. They need a way to pay for them, so how about not letting people take their rental cars over on the barge by forcing them to take the passenger ferry and enforcing that stupid law. I'm willing to put money on it.
Last edited by STTlover on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

... and another message from Myrna George
The law was written by our Virgin Islands Legislators so it is not for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to answer what we are trying to accomplish. It is our responsibility to implement the laws as it pertains to this agency. As Director Browne mentioned, there is a grace period of 60 days (deadline June 30, 2012).

Regards,
Myrna George
Assistant Director, BMV
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Hearing from the USVI that:

"BMV will be issuing a 60 day grace period by the end of today"

Maybe this was already posted?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Sure would suck if someone traveling in the mainland wasn't allowed to take their rental car across state lines when they were planning to visit more than one state.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band