prayers needed for a forum member

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Prayers and good vibes are headed your way. :)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

I have a great doctor in Wheaton who works with a lot of cancer patients to keep their immunities strong while going through treatment.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Prayers from Missouri too! I think your attitude and your plan is wonderful!!
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Godspeed from N.H
lexi

Post by lexi »

Sending prayers and good vibes your way....
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks again everyone! You are all wonderful. We are truly basking in the glow of well wishes, and are teary eyed over all the offers our friends and neighbors have extended (taking the kids, walking the dog, driving, doing our laundry, cooking... you name it.) We're feeling sheepish about it now because DH is feeling great, but it will be a long summer so we may be taking folks up on their offers.

Small update: DH's cancer is considered rare because it has spread to lymph nodes that this type doesn't usually affect. So they're recommending a very aggressive round of chemo (2 - 3 mos) then radiation. We are pretty certain that we're going with a team at University of Chicago - they really seem to know their stuff. It makes us both feel better to (almost) have a plan in place.

Since we didn't have enough to occupy us, for fun a big storm came through and knocked out our power on Friday afternoon. Here it is Monday and we still have no power! I'm hanging out at a neighbor's to do some work and use their wifi. There is a biiiiggg branch still hanging on the wires in the yard next door, and no sign yet of the power company. 'Camping at home' is starting to lose its charm!

Thank goodness for my sweet neighbors (and the showers at the health club)!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi Chicago

I feel for your family having gone through this. Remember the kids, when Laurie was dignossed our boy's were 9 and 11 Didn't think to much about what they were taking in. Till we got the newspaper just before Christmas and there was a esay contest for what they wanted for Christmas for grade shoolers and our oldest son made the paper his wish was that his mom would be ok and that the doctors would stop saying things that might not happen. He took second place. But it made us consider what we were talking about when they were around
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Prayers and well wishes coming from NH.
linne

Post by linne »

Chicagoans!

I really hope you have got power now. I understand your frustations.

And once again I send all my best wishes for a good result of the treatment, it seems as if you are in good hands.

Linne
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

waterguy wrote:Hi Chicago

I feel for your family having gone through this. Remember the kids, when Laurie was dignossed our boy's were 9 and 11 Didn't think to much about what they were taking in. Till we got the newspaper just before Christmas and there was a esay contest for what they wanted for Christmas for grade shoolers and our oldest son made the paper his wish was that his mom would be ok and that the doctors would stop saying things that might not happen. He took second place. But it made us consider what we were talking about when they were around
Hi Waterguy:

You are so right - they take in everything we say... and much that we don't. I know our daughter (13) has caught me teary eyed a few times. Unfortunately she's the type that keeps things to herself. Our son (11) on the other hand will ask questions if he has them. Last week after DH had another biopsy and when we came home from the hospital, DS asked "So does this mean you don't have cancer any more?" That about broke my heart. Of course we all wish it were that easy!

Thank you again everyone. You're all terrific!
loria

Post by loria »

oh Katie, you guys are so in our prayers--our kids are always asking how yours are doing--...anything you need? just holler...we'll get it.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

You are still in my prayers. I am glad that you have made a decision, I bet that does really help. Hopefully you have power and you are all back home.

Xoxo
TouristTrapCheryl

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

Our friend Margie Smith (who is a great author) kept this blog during her discovery of, and treatment for, her cancer.
She offers up much strength and laughter in these chronicles of her battle:

http://msmargarita1.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... art-1.html

From our little Tourist Trap "family" to yours,
                                           we are thinking of you and sending positive thoughts.

(Margie waited tables at Skinny's with me for about a year.
That was probably 4 or so years ago, maybe some of you met her there.)
-cheryl

Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Chicagoans, having been the child of a cancer patient (and about the same age as your kids are now), I'd like to say 'good job' on keeping your kids age-appropriately informed, being available to them for questions and conversations, and for keeping some of the tougher times to yourselves (as best you can).

For all of you, but especially for the daughter who finds it hard to open up, please consider keeping a journal together. A notebook where you and she can write messages, thoughts, questions, feelings to each other and let the other respond in their own way in their own time. Sometimes just not having to look someone in the face while you are trying to sort through your thoughts and feelings really helps and it's important that she has the chance to get her feelings out and not bear so much weight on her own (not that you didn't know that of course - she just may not know that right now).

My thoughts are with you all and I sincerely wish you a short and successful journey through this time in your lives.
Jennifer

lprof

Post by lprof »

thinking of you and your family, chicagoans
... no longer a stranger to paradise