OK gals........fess up..........

Travel discussion for St. John
CindyM

Post by CindyM »

Awww, I could use some eyelashes but I'd go freaking nuts sitting in that chair while they glued them on one by one. Patience is not one of my virtues!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

liamsaunt wrote:I am totally out of the loop on this beauty stuff. I did not even know that you could get your eyelashes permed. :shock:

Truthfully, I've never had a pedicure, and I've had only one manicure (the day before my wedding, under duress--my mother forced me!). I tried getting a facial once, years ago, and I HATED it. Maybe it was a bad salon for facials, I don't know.

I just get so antsy in salons, I would rather be anywhere else!
Hey I'm with you! I'm not a shopper or a salon gal. Between work and kids and working out and life in general, who has time to sit for a mani/pedi? I made the mistake of getting gel nails (whatever you call it) once. Looked great, but then I found out that you have to keep going back! Like every week or two! My nails are so not worth that. One volleyball game and they're wrecked anyway...

What I'll make an exception for are massages. mmmmm. Now that I'd like to do every week if I could. They alleviate stress and help with the occassional migraine I get.

I'm lazy with hair too. Thank goodness big hair is out... mine is long and straight and I don't even dry it most of the time. So the thought of the lashes is intriguing... anything that looks good and takes no time in the morning would be great!

And I'm embarrassed to admit that I had the same swim suit on for lots of our vaca pictures 3 years in a row in Maui, STJ, and Kauai. ooops :oops: I have a bunch of suits but only one I really like. I better find another one!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I also agree, I HATE getting my nails done. I think they are called Solar nails. I can get away with going every 3 weeks, but I hate sitting there. It hurts my back, but it's the only way I can have nails that don't chip and break. I tried the gel nails and they didn't last 5 days.

I called the salon that does my hair and they charge 125. and up, for the lashes, but they use semi-permanent glue and only recommend them for special occasions. STJ would not come under that catagory for me. I looked at some websites and the "after" photos look almost silly.........like Bambie. I guess if you didn't overdo them, it would be nice to have nice full lashes again.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

I swear, I have worn the same two tank-in-is (sp?) to STJ for the past 3 summers. The only thing I really splurge on is the pedi and mini, and 3 months of tanning bed. The same old STj t-shirts from my favorite hang-outs and shorts. I take a pair of flops, tennis shoes and water shoes. My snorkel gear and I'm done. Definitely a light carry on. No beach chairs, umbrellas,etc. It's me and the backpack all day long!!!!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

cypressgirl wrote:Teresa, I don't have a clue what kind of technique he uses. I didn't know there were options. I wear the gown because they start me out with 10 min. on these eletrodes (4 of them), that send electrical shocks into the muscles to relax you. They put 2 on my lower neck, and 2 on my waaay lower back, where I have the most trouble. While those things are doing their job, they cover me with the hot, moist, heavy, pads, and put a towel over that. After 10 min., they give me a rub down with a "Gini". It's kind of like a big vibrator thing and feels great. Then the Dr. comes in and opens the back of the gown and can spot the exact places he needs to adjust. He adjusts my mid back first, then I get on each side to do the lower, and finally I lie on my back and he pops my neck. That's the best part. I do have one leg that is shorter than the other. He could tell that by my X-rays. :? I also have mild/moderate scoliosis (sp?), and a rotated spine, caused from my job.

This is waaay TMI, but I don't wear shoes. Don't know why. It never came up. I'll ask him next week.

There is only 1 chiropractic college in Texas, so they all may be quacks as far a I know. All I know is that if I stop getting regular adjustment, I'll be in terrible pain before long.
The NUCCA adjustment is a very specific, extremely precise and delicate adjustment of just the C-1 vertebrae. The idea is that as long as that one vertebrae at the very top is perfectly aligned, the rest will naturally fall into place. You can think of it kind of like holding up a chain. If the top link of the chain is kinked, the rest of the chain (or your spine) will be jacked up...but if the top link of the chain is perfect, the rest of the chain (or your spine) will naturally be aligned as well.

It sound like your chiro does diversified or manual adjustments. So where your doctor is popping your neck to hopefully put it back into place, my doctor is very precisely putting my neck into alignment. I used to get the type of adjustments that you get but it just didn't do it for me. It helped somewhat, but I didn't get the relief I wanted. Then I found NUCCA.

I don't get adjusted every time...just if I'm out of alignment. There are actually people who hold their adjustments for years with the NUCCA method. Mine is a complicated case and the longest I've held is four months. The leg length thing, even outside of NUCCA, doesn't mean that one leg is actually longer than the other. It's called the "short leg phenomenon." What happens is that when you're out of alignment one side of your body tenses up, pulls your hip up on one side, and then that leg seems shorter.

There are several NUCCA doctors in Texas. If you wan to know more, there is a good summary of the process here:
http://www.brooksspinalcare.com/nuccaprocedure.html
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We have just unpacked and I couldn't count the number of clothes my wife had that still had the tag on them. If I wasn't in such an island mood still it may have been a problem. :D