How'd you get here?

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Wow, such great stories!!
I don't have much to share, since I am still in the process of planning our first trip to STJ (for May), but I love reading of all yours!!
Image[/url]
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

kygirl wrote:Wow, such great stories!!
I don't have much to share, since I am still in the process of planning our first trip to STJ (for May), but I love reading of all yours!!
You are going to Love it! You WILL be back!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Back in 2003, my now-mother-in-law planned a family trip to STJ and included me- the girlfriend! Now that I look back on it, maybe it was her way of clinching a daughter-in-law :)!

I'd never been anywhere remotely tropical. My past travels had been to Europe & Japan & Niagara Falls.

When we flew into STT, I was absolutely stunned by the color of ther water. I'd only seen a blue like that on the Discovery Channel- ya know, Blue Planet & Shark Week! That color blue reminded me of candy...like a blue raspberry Jolly Rancher!

With the flights & taxis and ferry & rental car (not to mention the gravity defying drive up Jacob's Ladder), it took us almost 12 hours to get to our villa but, oh, was it worth it!

I was hooked that first night on the deck: gentle tradewinds, perfumed air, view of the lights on STT, sound of tree frogs, lizards scurrying around everywhere....then the snorkeling the next day! Island life is sooooo different from New England living. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to vacation in such a paradise.

Low-and-behold, now-hubby bought my engagement ring during that trip and proposed a month later. We then spent our pre-honeymoon there in 2004, our actual honeymoon there is 2005 and returned again this past December.

We'll be taking a little break for the next few years, investing a bit in the house, but WE WILL BE BACK!
jac w

Post by jac w »

In 2004, Bill and I decided to get married and we were picking out a place to honeymoon. Well I've always loved the Caribbean and had been raised by parents in the travel industry, (boy do I miss them - my kids flew coach for the first time in their lives after their grandmother died and couldn't believe it)so I've been around. The wedding prep was a bit stressful so when Bill suggested St. John, where he had vacationed as a child (early/mid 60s), I went along with the idea (while thinking I've never had any desire to visit the USVIs - STT was too touristy - yeah I can be a bit of a travel snob - prefer off the beaten track over a lux hotel any day). Bill picked up the old tray of slides from his parents and showed me a charming little island, it looked like a nice place - of course the slides were 40 years old (one day we'll get them scanned and post them). Well all I had to do was step onto the CA ferry and it was love. So much so that I dragged the entire family down the next trip - including the soon to be son-in-law who stated he was a city kid (Philly) and really didn't think he'd like it (they were planning their next trip to STJ before we left the island). Anyway - now I don't want to go anywhere else - well actually I do, but when weighed against going back to St. John - STJ always wins.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Our story is pretty simple. My husband and I had been to Hawaii and French Polynesia. We very much enjoyed snorkeling and the tropical air but it’s a long trip from the east coast. We began looking for a place closer to home. The words describing St. John like “nearly 70% of the land is National Park”, “great snorkeling”, and “laid back” felt right. We prefer a mountainous land to a flat land and that was another reason. A direct flight from EWR to STT was a bonus.
Ever since we first visited St. John in 2002, we’ve been going back there every year. Have pretty much forgotten about anywhere else. We have come to the point that we can’t imagine June without St. John.

I’m Japanese (not my husband) and all my family live in Japan. One time my brother was having a hard time at work and he said in his e-mail “Wish I could get away for a while… take a vacation in the Caribbean…” For him and his family to visit the Caribbean is not impossible but improbable. It’s half way around the planet – lots of travel time and money. I have to say that St. John is the only place I’ve wished I could take them with us. I even imagine from time to time which villa for all of us to stay at, which beaches to go, etc. even though I realize it’s not realistic. Well, who knows… maybe someday.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I love reading everyone's stories!

OK, here's my STJ 411... Sorry it's LOOOONG!

My first REAL BF from High School (we 're still friends today), had just graduated law school and had moved to STT to practice law. He moved there in the summer of 1995, just in time for hurricane Marilyn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_ ... _Islands_2
The island was devastated, but his house was OK and he said I should come down for a visit. So my first visit was in April, 1996. Blue tarps covered just about every rooftop across STT. B/C of the hurricane devastation, the flights were cheap and I stayed for about 2 weeks. He was big into the sailing thing and we spent several days partying and watching the rolex regatta in the BVI. It was also my first experience staying on an 80ft yacht. Sweet.

Anyway, he had to pretend to work and one day I found myself hopping the ferry to STJ to spend the day.

It was a quiet, sleepy place and when I got to the dock, all the taxi drivers were playing chess in the park across the street. I asked one if he could drive me to Hawksnest. I grabbed a sandwich and soda from the dockside grill (gone now)and set off. When he dropped me off he offered to come back and get me at a set time. I was by myself, so I actually appreciated the gesture. Later he did come back to get me and wouldn't take my money!

The driver dropped me off and I walked out onto Hawksnest beach and sat down. And was still for the first time in my life. I took a deep breath and took it all in. It was so beautiful. I had just finished college, just started my first real grown-up job and was taking my first paid vacation. At that moment I realized that the whole world was at my disposal and my whole life was ahead of me and I vowed that I would really make something of myself. STJ also became my benchmark for success: I always had to make enough money to get back to STJ whenever I felt like it.

When I met my hubby for the first time I was wearing a Duffy's Love Shack T-Shirt. When we got married, we decided to go to STJ for our honeymoon. I wanted to share my little STJ "secret" with him. He was hooked on the place the minute he set foot on island. I knew right then he was my soul mate.

I was in an office building right across I-395 from the Pentagon when it was hit on 9/11 and as I sat stuck in traffic sandwiched between Pentagon city mall and the underpass to the Pentagon, black smoke pouring into the air and people sobbing and covered in smoke as they walked to safety during the chaos of that day, I remember thinking: I've just got to get back to STJ. And somehow I was able to calm my fears just by thinking about sitting on Hawknest looking out onto that turquoise blue water, feeling that white sand between my toes, warm sun on my face and the gentle breeze cooling my body. And I knew that I would be OK. As soon as I could I booked a trip back to STJ.

Over the years we've chosen to share STJ with friends and family and inevitably they have all gotten hooked. Yes Flip Flop I'm talking about you!

I've also gotten to meet and know some wonderful people over the years: Did you know Miss Vie was a beauty queen? She competed in the Miss Virgin Island's pagaent when she was a young woman. Tehre are many, many more (Mo and Doug of Skinny legs fame among them) It's going to be hard to be back at Skinny Legs and not see Doug.

I know change on STJ is inevitable and that "nothing gold can stay" but STJ will always hold a special place in my life and in my heart and I will continue to return again and again.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Jorge wrote:Gromit,
The best so far IMHO.
I agree! Great story!
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
JT

Post by JT »

Gromit, We just got back from a rare mid-week night , with friends' where Mrs. Jt played guitar and sang pretty much all of Bonnie Raitt's first album. Flashback! Anyway, you get the Turquoise Ribbon for this thread. I'll try to find time tomorrow to say "thanx" better. Glad for you to be back!
JT
What would I do without spell check?

Oh, and another thing, seeing as we live across the river from you.....

[img][img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/ ... winter.jpg[/img]
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Ok that snow sculpture takes the cake! LMAO!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I'm STILL chuckling at that Winter photo-- it's been at least 15 mins. I'll let you know when I stop laughing....
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Great snow sculpture, JT! Thanks for the laugh!
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

STILL laughing....
JT

Post by JT »

Gromit, Your story is great! By the way, about Vie. She actually was "Miss St. John" at some point in the past. I asked her about it and she was pretty embarrassed about it, but she says it's true. By the way on another thing, I hope I didn't offend anyone with the winter pic. I know it's pushing the envelope, but I couldn't resist it. We're getting a couple of days reprieve from the cold here in DC metro area, but I don't think winter is over yet.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks!
I LOVED the photo-- already sent it out to friends!

Yeah, today in the DC Area its supposed to get up to around 80F!!!!! But did you see the forecast for Saturday? 37F and RAIN... UGH!!!!!!!!