What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I haven't heard anything about them not counting boxes of booze as luggage, but obviously, that would make my life so much better... I know Delta counted it as my second bag last year.

Maybe I should call the airline? I'm flying on Spirit, and they seem to charge for everything. Has anyone ever brought booze back on Spirit who can answer for sure? I figured I'd just get it at Nashville Wine and Spirits when I got home. He gives me a deal on the flavors, but nothing like the one I get from the guys at AH Riise.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Here's the info about American and liquor boxes:

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/i ... d=17625242
Connie

Post by Connie »

The chairs are tied up....1 carry on, that's all we have. I believe it's $15.00. They're light, no big deal.

Taylor Ham vs. Porkroll, they're made by the same company. I didn't find this out till I went to the restaurant depot, where chefs shop. I bought Taylor Ham by mistake, but they're still made by the same company, taste the same.

I bring it down for Mike at Molly Mallone's. His family use to have a bar near us and he loves it when we bring it. We bring scrapple for him too, but that's another story.

It's hoagies, not subs :o)

Go green!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

On Spirit's Web site, it says that boxes of liquor from duty-free shops can be brought back, but then it makes it sound like they will be charging to check them.

This is from their site:

Special Items

The following items may be accepted as carry-on and/or checked baggage with restrictions. Checked Baggage Fees apply to ALL checked items effective June 20th, 2007. Additional fees apply for Special Items and are outlined below where applicable. Checked baggage may require a limited liability release tag, which can be obtained at the Spirit Airline's ticket counter. If the information does not appear in this screen please see http://www.tsa.gov/public

Alcohol
A maximum of 5 L or 1.3 gallons of liquor products containing between 24% and 70% alcohol by volume are allowed to be carried per customer. Liquor products over 140 proof or 70% alcohol by volume are not allowed onboard the aircraft.
Containers must be unopened and packaged so as not to break or leak. Liquor cartons provided for hand carriage by Duty Free Shops are permitted.
A release form will also need to be signed by the customer.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

It's $15 to check one way. Do I really save that much on booze? I wish I could remember how much I paid on rum last year...
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Connie wrote:The chairs are tied up....1 carry on, that's all we have. I believe it's $15.00. They're light, no big deal.

Taylor Ham vs. Porkroll, they're made by the same company. I didn't find this out till I went to the restaurant depot, where chefs shop. I bought Taylor Ham by mistake, but they're still made by the same company, taste the same.

I bring it down for Mike at Molly Mallone's. His family use to have a bar near us and he loves it when we bring it. We bring scrapple for him too, but that's another story.

Go green!
Connie, you must live near me (I'm in Roxborough). My mom's boyfriend knows Mike from Brittinghams but we've never went to Molly's to meet him.

Where do you stay that they don't supply you beach chairs? We've never not had them - even when we stay at Cruz Views.
NancyB
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Thanks for the tips on the Neat Sheets. Allegedly we have them somewhere at TRU, but no one can find them. I dug through the stock room on Saturday looking. I may have to get them elsewhere.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

KathyMN's post reminded me, how in the world did I forget about my trusty ziplocs?

I found it incredibly useful when travelling with a child to have sets of clothes seperated into ziploc bags. It keeps the diaper/beach bag organized and the clean clothes seperated from the dirty clothes.

I also use ziplocs to condense the size of our carry-on clothes. I can fit a bathing suit, cover up and a change of clothes into on large bag. Like KathyMN said, I do sort of a homemade space bag seal and one bag ends up not much larger than a daily newspaper.

Hubs also used to make fun of me until he was the only one without a trusty ziploc of carry-on clothing......He no longer mocks my OCD.
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

Amen, PA Girl. If it weren't for a little OCD, we'd all be a little SOL.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Just chimin' in-
Porkroll on a cheeseburger is unbelievable. We bring that down with us regularly. We just love grilling on the patio by the pool after a long day of snorkeling.
And yes, Connie, you are correct, they're hoagies! (Noone outside of Philly gets it!)
When I was growing up, my father convinced me that scrapple was just grilled liverwurst. I believed that for years! At least I still have the Easter Bunny to depend on...

Nancy, my mother lives in Roxborough, just west(?) of Manayunk,as well. The only thing I like about those hills is that they remind me (sort of) of driving on STJ.
GO EAGLES!!!
Smiles-
MJ
cass

Post by cass »

Ditto on the zip-lock baggies. I also use them like "space bags". Also, Duct Tape. Never leave home without it! I also need my big plastic insulated mug with a lid thingy. It holds like a 1/2 gallon of mixed drink. :D I take it with me on every vacation.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
Amy

Post by Amy »

Aww, jmq, no pictures of Krimpets? My faves! Another South Jersey/Philly girl here! And yes, definitely hoagies, never subs. I thought they only called them subs west of State College...

Speaking of packing, I always take plastic bags as well, and I always use every last one of them. Not that you can't buy them on STJ, but they are SO easy to pack, and cheaper to boot. We traveled heavy this time and took a soft-sided cooler filled with frozen meat, and a small rolling suitcase with other kinds of food, but I think it was worth it. I also always take camera(s), Tevas, rash guards, bugspray, and lots of sunscreen since we are all pale and burn like crazy. I also take a small first aid kit with things like bandaids, Neosporin, and meds like ibuprofen.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Nancy_B wrote:
Connie wrote:The chairs are tied up....1 carry on, that's all we have. I believe it's $15.00. They're light, no big deal.

Go green!
Connie, you must live near me (I'm in Roxborough). My mom's boyfriend knows Mike from Brittinghams but we've never went to Molly's to meet him.

Where do you stay that they don't supply you beach chairs? We've never not had them - even when we stay at Cruz Views.
Hi fellow neighbor!!

We're really really close. I'll pm you later.

Molly's is a good place...good food, nice laid back feel to it across from Duffy's Love shack.

We met Mike through people that live at Sapphire Village.

We're renting at Sapphire Beach. Unfortunately, he doesn't supply chairs. It's jus a one bedroom, but great price, great views. Really can't beat it for the price. Close to Red Hook and the ferry.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I had to think about this one. I think that the only thing I could not live without bringing is my camera and underwater case.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED