Travel tips for bringing a 15-month old to STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Knolmom

Re: Travel tips for bringing a 15-month old to STJ

Post by Knolmom »

Just to let you know we used Island Babies last year when we went wdaughter, son in law, our 2 yr old gs and 9 month old gd. Stayed at Vista Caribe and they had a pack and play at the house. It was pristine and Island Baby provided us with a new crib sheet. We rented a toddler cot for the 2 yr old, a high chair, a bunch of toys and a tent for the beach. We had a stroller/ car seat combo which we used for the baby and it had a standing platform in the back for the 2 yr old. Taxi driver would not let us install car seat in the van. We used Rachel for the return trip and she allowed us to use the seat. We rented 2 jeeps from Denzel Clyne and they installed one car seat that we rented from Island Babies. They delivered and installed the car seat in the jeep just prior to our arrival. Island Baby was great. Everything was immaculate and in great shape. BTW, because the stairways at Vista Carive were very wide, we used a drying rack to block of the stairway. No problem at the pool. No one got out without supervision as we had 4 adults.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We have been coming to St John for 20 years now and were married there in 2000 . We had a great wedding there with 5 kids under 5. Of course at that time you had to bring everything with you, including car seats and a double stroller for 18 month old twins.
I always recommend a stroller if you can manage one because it is really great to take a walk through the grounds at the Westin even if you are not staying there. Even if it is an umbrella stroller, and even if you choose to rent one from Island Babies, it is just so handy to have. Also if you can bring a little blow up pool to use on the deck or to use as a bathtub pack it in. They have them at toys r us or target. We used the pool to contain the 9 month old as she was starting to crawl and the deck was hard and she would pull up the neat sheet as she tried to move.
Have a great trip.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Gosh, so many brilliant tips! EagleRayLover, I am definitely going to contact Catered To in order to see if I can mail diapers and such directly to them so our stuff can be waiting in the villa. That would be awesome!

Knolmom, I am so glad to hear your family enjoyed Vista Caribe. Would you recommend us setting up the pack-n-play in the bedroom on the main level? I was thinking about renting two baby gates- one for the interior staircase and one for the outdoor stairs that lead down to the pool. Is that overkill considering she'll never be unsupervised?

We also scored a fantastic backpack carrier at a local baby consignment shop last weekend- complete with sunshade and lots of storage space. She seems to enjoy riding in it so far! Then on Sunday baby girl was a star student (and the only student :wink: ) at her first swimming lesson. STJ here we come!! 6 short months!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Kim wrote:We also scored a fantastic backpack carrier at a local baby consignment shop last weekend- complete with sunshade and lots of storage space. She seems to enjoy riding in it so far! Then on Sunday baby girl was a star student (and the only student :wink: ) at her first swimming lesson. STJ here we come!! 6 short months!
We got so much use out of our carrier, hope it works for you. I was sad when our son out grew it.

Our now 9yo started swimming lessons young as well. He is a fish on VG right now and started tapping about our next STJ trip at breakfast this morning. For us, family trips are such a joy. I hope yours are as well!