Do you watch TV when you are on ST John?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Post by RickG »

Never
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Trying to remember back, but the only TV I can remember watching is when we were at Woody's, and that was either baseball or football. I'm an avid newspaper reader, but I have to admit, when I'm on the island, I don't even pick up a newspaper....just too laid back to think about what is going on in the rest of the world.
jac w

Post by jac w »

OK - we're a bit odd, but we watch CNN and NY local news. In fact Bill has a picture of me watching CNN at the villa. The villa we rented just happened to be owned by people from New Jersey, like us, so we also watched the local news. It was odd, we saw a piece about a double murder, the name souned quite familiar and when we returned I found out that yes the victim was a client and we (the office we) would be representing the Estate. Maybe next time I'll skip the news.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I like to keep up with the news, so I'll keep the TV on in the background when I'm getting meals ready or whatever else around the villa.

We'll also watch a movie at night on occasion (the bar scene isn't really our thing).

Everybody is different. When I hear people say that they stayed at their villa all day and hung out by the pool I think “What are you crazy?” STJ has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and I certainly don’t go there to hang out by the pool.

But other people think it’s strange that I have the news going in the background when I’m in paradise.

My husband doesn't keep up with the news even when we're at home, so the TV would hardly ever be on when we're in STJ if it were up to him...not that he minds it, but he'd just never turn it on himself.

To each his own :)
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

Okay, so yes, we need to have cable tv - even at the most beautiful tropical villa. Just to have it on before bedtime & for getting ready in the morning.

StJohnMay2003 - you crack me up! Moving the TV to the deck so you can get the best of both worlds is exactly what my husband & I do at home during the Packer games on warm Sept. & Oct. Sundays. Watching TV while lounging in the sun on St. John - to me, that sounds just like paradise.

Just my thoughts.
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
LSU Beach Tiger

Post by LSU Beach Tiger »

My husband & I stayed at Caneel Bay on our 1st visit to St. John & we thought we would be so bored without a tv, but we weren't. We talked alot & went to bed really early, which allowed us to get up early in the morning to start our days. We never felt so relaxed & we loved it.

This time we will be staying at a villa with a tv & I'm wondering how the expereince will differ.
RickG

Post by RickG »

LSU Beach Tiger wrote:My husband & I stayed at Caneel Bay on our 1st visit to St. John & we thought we would be so bored without a tv, but we weren't. We talked alot & went to bed really early, which allowed us to get up early in the morning to start our days. We never felt so relaxed & we loved it.

This time we will be staying at a villa with a tv & I'm wondering how the expereince will differ.
Don't turn it on!!! Think of something else to do...

Cheers, RickG
patr

Post by patr »

We enjoyed watching the weather channel last November/December. The St. Louis area (home) was being pelted by an ice storm, then a blizzard.

My co-workers and family were a LITTLE envious of our tropical location. :wink:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Been to STJ twice and we have never turned on the TV, read a newspaper, checked emails or turned on our cell phones. We totally tune out the outside world. In fact, Bob has brought books both times and never cracked a page; too busy limin to read.
Bob & Anita
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I'm a TV Head at home during the winter, but NEVER turn one on while in the Islands, but.....have to admit that my DVR is working double time while I'm away.

Sydney
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

I won't watch anything on TV that I can watch at home--otherwise what's the point of going anywhere.

What I do find very interesting, however, is the local news anchors. It gives you a good idea of what the locals can be like. For example, I remember in San Diego all of the anchors were tanned, made up, and wearing plenty of jewelry. In Montana, the anchors wore little make up (maybe none) and some of the men didn't even have ties on, just plaid shirts and a jacket.

Of course the news itself is interesting, too, but I like the people watching. :D
RickG

Post by RickG »

Never