island time is mainland money -the true value of time on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Big Cheeze-
Well put! My Sweet Amy & I will JUST miss you, man.
By a week or two?-
I would have loved to meet you & yours this Spring, but there's always the next time!
To be able to put a price on a 7 day vacation on St. John is like trying to count all the bubbles in a bottle of Champagne; and Man, that's a bunch of bubbles....(Mmmm, mimosas'...)
Likened (for me )to swimming into the water at Maho, and watching the bubbles float up as I look at the sky through the water.
Feeling that crackle through my ears is as serene as it is priceless...
Second only to Amy smiling on the beach in the sunshine... :D 8) :D 8)
Smiles-
MJ
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

mahojim wrote:Big Cheeze-
Well put! My Sweet Amy & I will JUST miss you, man.
By a week or two?-
I would have loved to meet you & yours this Spring, but there's always the next time!
To be able to put a price on a 7 day vacation on St. John is like trying to count all the bubbles in a bottle of Champagne; and Man, that's a bunch of bubbles....(Mmmm, mimosas'...)
Likened (for me )to swimming into the water at Maho, and watching the bubbles float up as I look at the sky through the water.
Feeling that crackle through my ears is as serene as it is priceless...
Second only to Amy smiling on the beach in the sunshine... :D 8) :D 8)
Smiles-
MJ
We'll just stay another week...send the kids home with their Grandparents and I have my laptop and can write commercials wherever I am
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Having not been to STJ yet, but real soon,so have no idea what it will cost us. I can only add that to us, any vacation,anywhere is not about what we spend but how we spend it.

This is our time alone, away from everyone & everything. No computers,phones & alot of times no TV. Very simple alot of times & at times, very upscale. Just my fantastic hubby and me,taking the time to enjoy it all & renew our love & friendship.

We save all year for this one week and are fortunate to be able to do this once a year. The rest of our vacations are spent visiting the GKs in Ga.

So,there are no $ amts attached for us. We make the most of our trips,and do as much as we can, but at same time, in some cases, don't need to spend alot to do so.

To sound silly, as long as we're together in a place we both want to be, doing the things we like/enjoy, then money is not the issue.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I'll admit that this is fascinating. I've wondered how we "compare" to others.

This trip will be 3 people:

Airfare: $300 (had to buy the last bunch of remaining miles in order to fly for "free")
House: Half of about $2800 (Travel with another couple)
Car: Half of $600
Food: We bring
Booze: Well...who can put a price tag on love?

I figure we end up out of pocket at least $2500 for each trip. Which is why we go every other year. It also usually takes that long to recharge the miles in the Delta account.

2012 will be harder for us when we have to buy 3 tickets from RDU.

I have this silly rule in my head: Vacation should cost under $2000. For me, it's a challenge to stay as close to that number and have a good time as possible. Of course, with our house rental track record, I should just pony up more money for the "No Termite infestation" option.

I'll admit, $8000 made me choke, but it ain't my money you're spending! Have at it!

I once calculated how much money we spent per SECOND while at Disney. I then wept.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Bigcheeze wrote: We'll just stay another week...send the kids home with their Grandparents and I have my laptop and can write commercials wherever I am
Golden!
Man have I got an idea or two fer you!
Smiles-
Jimmy
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We spend what is likely a choke-inducing amount on our STJ vacations but we can swing it because of not spending money in other areas of our real life.

I realized while packing for our latest trip that some of my shorts had been to STJ at least 4 times over as many years, maybe 5x. My daytime flip flops are at least 8 years old. Most of my friends buy new clothing each season and would never dream of wearing something that is several years old.

My mom had a cow when she learned how much a certain nearly beach front villa rental cost us, saying that we could have gone to X,Y, Z for a month. Yet the same woman complainted the following year about having to drive to the beach. Then she understood why we pay more for location.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Someone asked where to find a villa for $1800? There are several of them, in varying degrees of quality, but they are out there.

Hubby and I stayed in Just Enough in high season for either $1000 or $1500- I can't recall. This was a beautifully handcrafted private cottage with a view of Coral Bay. We also stayed at Sago Cottage for $1400 (back a few years ago, I think it's more like $1700 now) with a MILLION dollar view of the BVI's and a hottub & outdoor shower. Also a beautiful private cottage up on Calabash Boom.

When we travel as a couple, we spend @ $4000 and that includes the dog/house sitter.

We did it in low season with a private boat charter for $700+. In high season, we pay more for some stuff but nixed the charter.

We cook some dinners & breakfasts in, eat all lunches out.

We have a few drinks but are not big on gettin' pissed.

I could have done it for cheaper- looked into Serendip Condos etc- but hubby really likes his quiet private Coral Bay locations so we go for small cottages with everything you need.

I have to say that I have never regretted one penny I've spent going to St John!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Lex wrote:I don't know what it cost, or how many days I went to work to pay for it, but I know what value it has for us.
I love this statement.

I don't think it's useful to compare how much one person spends versus another. People are in different places as far as income and fiscal responsibilities. More importantly everyone has different needs and priorities on their vacations. Luckily for all of us, St. John (and St. Thomas) offers many options in different price ranges.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

PA Girl wrote:We spend what is likely a choke-inducing amount on our STJ vacations but we can swing it because of not spending money in other areas of our real life.
It's all about choices but it does stink when you feel like you have to justify. You work hard, you play hard, you prioritize and you take the vacation that works for you.

We have friends who spent 30K for a trip for 4 to Atlantis. For me, to spend that on a vacation, we'd be living in the car and eating out of dumpsters. For them, it's a drop in the bucket.
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We do STJ from the midwest, 10-12 days for about 4-5000. This is staying in a villa 3 trips, at maho 1 trip. 2 adults. I'm sure we could spend much more, probably not much less. We love our trips. I think the important part is not to feel entitled with the locals because we have spent, whatever amount we have spent, to be there. I'm sure no one here on this forum would act that way. But, I'm sure we have all seen this from people while on the island. It really is annoying.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

PA Girl wrote: I realized while packing for our latest trip that some of my shorts had been to STJ at least 4 times over as many years, maybe 5x. My daytime flip flops are at least 8 years old. Most of my friends buy new clothing each season and would never dream of wearing something that is several years old.
The only problem is that it gets hard to tell which trip is which when we all have on the same clothes every time!. That happens to us. Same clothes for years now. The best way to tell is to watch my hairline. It's a good trip barometer for us.
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

This is such an insightful thread as it really shows the value of the time we spend with people we love in the places that mean so much to us. St. John is so special for our family--we also bring our teenagers who transform from busy, detached people in the 'real world' to fun loving beach bums who love spending time with mom and dad when they are with us on STJ. Truly priceless. I can also relate to the 'wearing the same clothes on every trip' as we do the same--the kids get new stuff,but my husband and I wear the same old Soggy Dollar/Jolly Dog shirts and ten year old Tevas! Heading back in a little over two weeks and we can't wait! We are staying at Century Hill Estates for the first time--
~Tracie and Paul (Michigan)
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

This is our average when traveling with our friends for a week. We keep it to 2000-2500 depending on airfare. 0n these trips could do it cheaper but we splurge on the villa.

Air Fare ff ticks $30 (add 600 to 800 if no ff ticks)
Airport Parking $40
Ferry/Taxi $90
Villa $1,500.00
Jeep Rental $225
Gas $40
Eating out $100
Food and Booze bought on St $150 (Bring most of it)
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

This is a continuation of last post. We like to go twice a year one with friends one with the honey and I. This one runs a little less as we stay somewhere cheap. All I need is the beaches my babe and some booze and I'm happy as a clam. This was our last trip in Sept it was a super cheapy,tad over a grand :D
Our two weeks this Sept should come in a little over $2000, gettin some great deals so far building this trip.
ff ticks 30
Airport parking 40
taxi/ferry 90
Cruz Views 550
Jeep 280
eating out 22 (Uncle Joes)
food and booze from island 100
Having those gorgeous beaches just the honey and I PRICELESS
Terry

Post by Terry »

It seems from a few on this post that STJ has become like "crack". I agree that it is the most beautiful island in the North American area. However is there another island in the world that compares? Probably not.

We had to break the addiction a few years back and tell ourselves that it is a Big World and we need to explore other countries. To our amazement, we can travel to other countries cheaper than we can to STJ.

We're getting older and there is so much to see. Bucket list is growing. But we continue to share experiences of STJ with friends that have not been and they are intrigued and will be visiting in the future.

It's the old verbage of pass it forward.

As far as budgeting for a trip. we budget, but while there, throw the budget away...it's once in a lifetime experience.