a signal to the world

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:Mia, I am not saying that one should vote for him because his is black. But, if he should win it, indeed, would be an historic event.

Sox...the civil rights act is only 44 years old. Our history of equality is not as old as you portray it to be.
Pete, you'll see that I was specifically talking about slavery.

The 13th Ammendment was signed in January, 1865. I said it took us 100-150 years to end slavery. It took 89 years to pass the law.

The civil rights movement is a whole different ballgame. If you'd like to include that, well that took us 188 years. I was off by 30 or so.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

All I will say is it was with pleasure that I took my daughter to the polls today. No matter what the outcome, to be able to cast a ballot that redefines the American dream for millions who never thought the day would come in their lifetime, was beyond beautiful.

I have never seen so many smiling faces exiting the polls as I did today.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Amen, my flip flop wearin' sister. Amen!!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

SJfromNJ wrote:
flip-flop wrote:All I will say is it was with pleasure that I took my daughter to the polls today. No matter what the outcome, to be able to cast a ballot that redefines the American dream for millions who never thought the day would come in their lifetime, was beyond beautiful.

What would you have said if you had voted for Hilary?!
I did say it when I voted for Hillary in the primary. I took my daughter with me then as well. And I explained to her that no matter who won the primary history was being made.

That day I didn't expect the wave of emotion that hit me as I cast my ballot. It is not just that I was voting for any woman then or any biracial man today. It is that these two people are the embodiment of my beliefs, my hopes and my dreams for my country and for my children.

Don't try to muddy something that was a beautiful experience for me. Just as I won't muddy anyone's feelings of pride that they voted for the 2nd woman nominated for VP today.
Last edited by flip-flop on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Sox, consider that there is an entire generation of Americans who are old enough to remember segregation...it occurred in their lifetimes. Then also consider how proud they must be of their country to actually elect a black man to its highest office.

If Obama should win, it is a big deal to many people. For so many who remember being treated as second class citizens by their own country, it means renewed pride in their country.

I'll tell you this much...I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

flip-flop wrote:
SJfromNJ wrote:
flip-flop wrote:All I will say is it was with pleasure that I took my daughter to the polls today. No matter what the outcome, to be able to cast a ballot that redefines the American dream for millions who never thought the day would come in their lifetime, was beyond beautiful.

What would you have said if you had voted for Hilary?!
I did say it when I voted for Hillary in the primary. I took my daughter with me then as well. And I explained to her that no matter who won the primary history was being made.

That day I didn't expect the wave of emotion that hit me as I cast my ballot. It is not just that I was voting for any woman then or any biracial man today. It is that these two people are the embodiment of my beliefs, my hopes and my dreams for my country and for my children.

Don't try to muddy something that was a beautiful experience for me. Just as I won't muddy anyone's feelings of pride that they voted for the 2nd woman nominated for VP today.

She's actually the 2nd woman nominated for VP.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We democrats try to forget Mondale/Ferraro...do you blame us.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
jmq

Post by jmq »

Yes a great day.
Got an email and text message from the Obama side reminding me to vote, then the Pony Express came by from the McCain camp to remind me.
:)

Took a ride out into PA over the weekend. Was shocked at the number of Obama lawn signs. Today, never saw the polling place so crowded and such diversity among those in line.

Based on this sampling, I’ll go with the “over” on the over/under 300 electoral votes (for Obama) betting line that I’ve heard some talk about. (Margin of error for my sampling: +/- 35 electoral votes)
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
cass

Post by cass »

I'll be so glad when this election is over!

Linne - Thank you for wishing the American people well. You are correct, this is a historic day, regardless of how much impact the circumstances have on any one individuals choice. It certainly does add a different degree of excitement to some, and unfortunately outrage to others.

I live in the "Land of Lincoln" and have been thinking a lot about these words he spoke:

I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal.
--Abraham Lincoln, July 10, 1858 Speech at Chicago, Illinois

I don't believe that his dream will ever be realized by every American - ever. But I do believe that this years election is a step in the direction that he spoke of.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:We democrats try to forget Mondale/Ferraro...do you blame us.
Yes, Pete, thanks for correcting me. In my mind what I was thinking was if she won she'd be the first female VP in history.
jmq

Post by jmq »

SJfromNJ wrote: You are right, Obama outspent McCian in PA 4 to 1 and it sill is goig to be tight. That buys a lot of lawn sighns and infomercials. Oh yeah he reneged on his promise to accept public campaign financing remember?
Again, this is being mischaracterized as a read-my-lips promise made after he became the nominee. The Obama statement said "If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election." He wanted an agreement that included conditions on negative ads and use of 527 money in the campaign, and he couldn’t get that from the other side. I know, this reeks of GOP logic a bit (if Obama had only agreed to X town hall meetings, then we wouldn’t have had to make the campaign so negative!), but, Obama would’ve been stupid to stick with the public money with no conditions.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Ahhhh man, I just hope that this great American Dream that some folks have, doesn't turn out to be the great American Nightmare that other folks are prdicting!!

My great American dream is that I cast my vote freely and without worry of any retribution...now THAT is a beautiful thing!

Good luck to all candidates who are running in this election!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!