What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Travel discussion for St. John
luvinsun

Re: What you absolutely can't do without on vacation??

Post by luvinsun »

California Girl wrote:
Connie wrote:Porkroll :)
Ok, clue me in. Are you talking food? Or is something else (besides my love handles) called a Porkroll?
I'm so glad that someone else asked... I had no clue either!
Tami
Image[/url]
jmq

Post by jmq »

Me too MB. That is hilarious CG.
Connie - I knew that would trip some folks up. Porkroll/Taylor ham is a real Philly/Jersey thing.

http://nsjersey.blogspot.com/2008/03/ta ... l-map.html

You can't beat porkroll egg and cheese on a hard roll with SPK (salt/pepper/ketchup) as a to go breakfast sandwich from any local deli with a grill.

How about we throw in some Tastykakes for desert? (another regional "food")

Returning you to your regular programming now...
Last edited by jmq on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

So if your chairs are a second checked baggage it could cost you up to 50$ (United) to bring them? it would be more cost effective to just get them on SJ and not worry about checking them at all.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks MB & jmq! I've never heard of either a Taylor Ham or a porkroll. I'm in California, remember? Land of tofu & sprouts! LOL! :lol:
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh the Taylor Ham (come JMQ tell me you are not a pork roll guy) is the go to late night or morning after sammich!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Oh no. The North Jersey/South Jersey what-do-you-call-it debate:
Taylor Ham vs. Porkroll
sprinkles vs. jimmies
subs vs. hoagies
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I'm not checking anything because of this. It's not worth it. We'd planned to take a cooler, but we won't save enough to make it worth it. I usually bring back booze, but I can get most of what I like here, and I don't save enough to pay to check it.

I guess maybe people do overpack just a little for vacations, and this is the airlines' way of curbing it a little. I don't know, but it makes me grumpy. So now, I'm going with a few pairs of shorts and flip flops.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

To quote Rick G: "Its a vacation not a migration."

A hat, sunglasses, a book, Vanity Fair Magazine (my all time favorite beach reading) and my hubby. he carries the cash!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Can't do withouts:

sunglasses
camera
soft cooler

While I don't need much, I hate to shop (for practical stuff) and do laundry during my real life and I hate it even more on vacation so I will never be the one bathing suit, 2 t shirts, 2 shorts traveller. A trip to town to buy shampoo, sunscreen etc would be torture for me.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Embarassed to say that I can't do without the ol'laptop.

I thought the airlines were not counting boxes of liquor as extra luggage so they were putting them on at no extra charge. I think the USVI government protested the charge (when the airlines first started charging) as it would really hurt the economy and the airlines relented - at least AA did, for sure - not sure about the others.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Wallet
Passport

Everything else is replaceable given the first two.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

Sunglasses, visor, rash guard, Tevas, camera with polarizing filter, and a newly mixed CD of "island music" for the jeep.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

jmq wrote:Oh no. The North Jersey/South Jersey what-do-you-call-it debate:
Taylor Ham vs. Porkroll
sprinkles vs. jimmies
subs vs. hoagies
This is too funny! When I went to college, my roommate was from "south" jersey and I am from "north" jersey. Its amazing that being such a small state there are so many differences. We used to argue about which one is the correct one. Even the way they say "home", "phone", etc.

You may want to add this to list - another disagreement we would have:
Giants vs. Eagles

GO BIG BLUE!! :lol:
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

SusanNJ wrote:
jmq wrote: We used to argue about which one is the correct one. Even the way they say "home", "phone", etc.
they say that weird, right? LOL
(a northern girl at heart!)
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

In addition to the things already mentioned... I always pack (on ANY vacation), my bag o'bags. In a one gallon-sized ziplock bag, I put a half dozen or so each of gallon/quart/sandwich/snack ziplock bags. I do my own vacuum seal on it (eg. zip it almost shut then suck out all the remaining air) and pop it in the suitcase. My husband always makes fun of me. That is, until the first time that we find ourself in need of one, and I whip out the required ziplock. We've used them for everything from wet swimsuits on that last day before boarding the plane, to the obvious sandwiches and snacks, to capturing all the beads from my necklace that broke, to making instant pudding at a place that didn't have any bowls or beaters, to..... etc. etc. etc. To. St. John, I've also always thrown in an old bedsheet to lay on the beach under the towels, to keep the sand off. But now, hearing all of the accolades about this Neat Sheet thing, I've decided to try that. BTW, they're BOGO (Buy one (large size), get the second for 1/2 price) at drugstore.com. I hope they work as well as everyone says. :D