A bit of a problem:

Travel discussion for St. John
Lex

Post by Lex »

Gina

As I mentioned earlier, I always appreciate when posters do identify who they're discussing in their posts. It makes the information more specific and has more value. I'm not encouraging rants or slamming businesses. Just identifying who you're talking about. You're certainly very fair and reasonable and simply shared your experience in dealing with two different companies. I wouldn't hesitate to identify both companies so that readers here could be aware of what my experience with them had been.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Lex wrote:Gina

As I mentioned earlier, I always appreciate when posters do identify who they're discussing in their posts. It makes the information more specific and has more value. I'm not encouraging rants or slamming businesses. Just identifying who you're talking about. You're certainly very fair and reasonable and simply shared your experience in dealing with two different companies. I wouldn't hesitate to identify both companies so that readers here could be aware of what my experience with them had been.
I don't mean to belabor this but I thought that right now what seems most important thing is to find her a trip that works with her dates. I am sure if she feels the need to identify them, then she will.
lisak428

Post by lisak428 »

Gina-
How many BR's and what other needs do you have? I also recommend looking on VRBO. We found a house that way for Christmas week this past year and had a great experience.
Lisa
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Gina - would you consider STX? You could still fly into STT and then take the seaplane over - probably run you about the same $ as changing your airline tix to new dates. I just checked Vacation St. Croix's site quickly and not all of the villas have holiday restrictions. If you would consider STX, try www.vacationstcroix for listings, restrictions and availability calendars. I'd be happy to help with villa locations if you see something you like. Or, call Marti Gotts directly - she's great!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I can feel your stress! We took our DD out of school every year for vacation up until her senior year, and the only reason why we didn't take her out her senior year was because she was taking some early college courses.

I would find out if he is doing any testing before the X-mas break (call the school) and if not, I'd definitely consider taking him out a couple days early.

I had also thought VG as an option for you. You may want to look into that further.

Our daughter had her graduation trip to STJ also and she couldn't imagine a better celebration trip. But of course we benfitted too! Our 10 yr old wants his graduation trip to STJ. I'm sooo lucky!!!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Interesting comments, I have a different perspective on pulling kids out of school and also on teachers, and I am usually not one to defend teachers. A teacher probably does not want to reschedule a test because one PIA parent wants to pull a kid out of school for vacation. I’m not calling anyone a PIA, I’m just saying that there are two sides to every story. It just isn’t fair to expect teachers to schedule tests around the vacation schedules of every kid in the class.

When I was in 9th grade I got invited on a all-expenses paid cruise with my best friend’s family that would have cost me a few days out of school, but my parents wouldn’t let me go. At the time I hated them for it, but now I see what they were trying to teach me and I appreciate what they did…I value education because my parents valued it first.

Gina, what are your options for your flights? Could you tack on a few extra days at the end of your trip and stay through Saturday? Is that an option with the villa, or do they require a full two weeks?
XOXO

No worries!!

Post by XOXO »

Windspree Vacation Homes to the rescue! I told Kay my situation about having flights and not having a villa and she went right to work looking for one that would work. Last night I got an email from her saying that she wasn’t sure if she could rent it for a week and that she was going to double check. Luckily, she can and we are staying on St. John!! I am so grateful to them and feel that they really went the extra mile!!

About the other company—I just am not going to trash them. We all make mistakes. They did lead me to believe that I had a villa, but this morning they did call with a good alternative. So, they tried too. Imagine how I would have felt if I would have trashed them?? It is just good policy, in my opinion, to be forgiving and think the best of people.

I feel really good about Windspree!! We are staying on the Coral side and I am excited about that.

I also have to give you all much love for your suggestions and help!

You are right, we are so proud of both of our boys!! They really are good kids and I realize that the day will come when they tell us that they can’t/won’t come with us. We are trying really hard to make it very special while all 4 of us travel together and especially special for our senior.

Initially, I was open to letting them take a few days off (the 22nd and 23rd) but when the other management company said they could rent mid-week to mid-week I got the flights.

FYI: I did find out that we could change our flights but we would have a penalty. It would have been a penalty of $150 per person. I found that out this morning and was considering doing that—or going to Fort Recovery in Tortola—or a condo in Virgin Gorda. The BEST alternative was to stay with Windspree in our beloved St. John and I am so glad they came through.

Gina
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Interesting comments, I have a different perspective on pulling kids out of school and also on teachers, and I am usually not one to defend teachers. A teacher probably does not want to reschedule a test because one PIA parent wants to pull a kid out of school for vacation. I’m not calling anyone a PIA, I’m just saying that there are two sides to every story. It just isn’t fair to expect teachers to schedule tests around the vacation schedules of every kid in the class.

When I was in 9th grade I got invited on a all-expenses paid cruise with my best friend’s family that would have cost me a few days out of school, but my parents wouldn’t let me go. At the time I hated them for it, but now I see what they were trying to teach me and I appreciate what they did…I value education because my parents valued it first.
forgive me for getting OT but I guess I felt the need to expand on my previous post.

I can definitely relate to what you are saying, and I do understand that a lot of parents do not believe in pulling their kids out of school for one reason or another.

Education has always been very highly valued to us. Our daughter is now 20. She graduated with honors, was a straight A student, and is still a straight A student continuing to further her education. She never had any issues catching up, or falling behind, nor did I ever have any issues with the teachers or the school because of school year vacations. Perhaps this combined made it easier for us to take her out.

I can also say that she never looks back and says "gee, I wish I wouldn't have missed any school." She does however look back and say, "that was the best time ever! I'm so glad we did that mom. Thanks for taking me mom. I love you for it mom."

Like I said, she did not miss school during her senior year because we valued her education and took her continuing education very seriously. I also always talked to her teachers and made sure she was not going to miss crucial core testing etc.

I know she does not regret living her life and like I say, you never know what tomorrow will bring so live it to the fullest!

I read something today that I strive to live by.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance....

Gina, WONDERFUL news. Congrats!!!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

That is great Gina! I am so happy that it all worked out and I am certainly glad that you are able to forgive the other agency. Stuff happens and all that truly matters is that you will be sepending the holidays on STJ with your family!
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

That's great news Gina, glad it all worked out for you. Always do what works best for your family. My son's grandmother used to brag that she could take him to the White House and not be worried for a moment. His teachers agree that his travel has enhanced his education. They have always been very supportive.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Gina, so glad it all worked out for you!
I used to be one of those PIA teachers.
Oh no!! No offense meant at all jaysea, in fact I had my tongue purty near my cheek when describing them as such! #1 is a very good student so his teachers have always been great about letting him take the test early during a free period if we were going to be away on the test day.

I was trying to express a sentiment along the lines of Chrisn's point. My kids' schools work them really hard, they are A students and I don't have a problem letting family time trump school once a year. No offense to anyone intended!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Sounds great, Gina---glad it worked out. What house are you renting?
---Jim