Where to look for Octopuses?

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Re: Where to look for Octopuses?

Post by liamsaunt »

I have found octopuses (octopi?) at Maho, little Maho, Francis, Caneel Bay's main beach, Caneel's Scott Beach, Caneel's Turtle Bay, Haulover North, Leinster/Waterlemon, and Hansen Bay that I can remember. I have usually located them in shallow-ish water. Sometimes out in the open moving across the sand, sometimes hiding in the rocks. In addition to looking for the shells as others have mentioned, I have found that the key is to be patient and not splash around at all. Things that go into hiding when you approach will come back out if you just hover quietly for a while. I posted my favorite octopus photo in the "favorite picture" thread. Here are a couple more of the octopuses I have seen over the years:

Caneel main beach:

Scott Beach:

Turtle Bay:

Maho Beach:

It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Saw one at Vie's Beach last Spring. Hovered over it for a quite awhile, but it did not move too much. Next year's goal is to see one in motion.

May 26, 2012 by JRSIII, on Flickr
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Have seen them most often at the right side of Francis and Maho. Have also seen them at Gibney, Haulover South, Hansen/Vie's and Waterlemon.

You might get lucky and run into active ones. Otherwise, you have to patiently look for them by looking into holes, crevices and under rocks. As mentioned, finding piles of empty shells is a good sign. It tells you an octopus is there/nearby or used to be there (old den).

This one was quite active (taken at Maho, May 2012): http://youtu.be/IP8M9cJYBbI

(I guess I can't embed videos on this forum any more... so, I just have to share the link.)
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Partially saw one in a crevice on the right side of Francis Bay in Dec. 2011. Saw the pile of shells and was able to partially see his arm under a rock. Never came out though. Then 2 weeks ago on our next visit, I briefly saw one in front of Gallows Point - midway between the swim platform and the hammocks. Yelled for my wife, and when I looked down again, he was gone. When I did see him, he seemed to blend in perfectly with the sandy bottom. Wish I had never taken my eyes off of him!
Image[/url]
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks for all your tips. I remember your pictures Liamsaunt and Pickle your u tube was amazing I watched it several times.

So looking forward to trying to find one this trip.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I don't think I've seen the Turtle Bay octopus photo before. He or she is quite the drama queen :lol:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

mindehankins wrote:I don't think I've seen the Turtle Bay octopus photo before. He or she is quite the drama queen :lol:
Minde, the Turtle Bay octopus is actually one of John's photos. He insists that it is the best octopus photo either of us has ever taken. The fact that my blue octopus won the CT+L photo contest nature category does not deter him from his opinion. :lol:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

We saw three, all very different coloration, during our night snorkel at Maho. They were fully out in the open and absolutely beautiful. If you are not nervous about going in the water at night, so many creatures come out then- it's a whole new world! I cannot wait to do it again!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

EagleRayLover wrote:We saw three, all very different coloration, during our night snorkel at Maho. They were fully out in the open and absolutely beautiful. If you are not nervous about going in the water at night, so many creatures come out then- it's a whole new world! I cannot wait to do it again!! :D
I am Cindy's husband. I would like to try night snorkeling. What do I need to purchase? What are the ins and outs? Any tricks?
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I am Cindy's husband. I would like to try night snorkeling. What do I need to purchase? What are the ins and outs? Any tricks?[/quote]

Hi Cindy's husband! We had small LED waterproof lights and that's it! We had our camera, but I was absolutely useless. Steve on the other hand was brilliant. He would find the octo with the light , take the light away, and get the picture like it was daytime. My biggest piece of advice would be know the area you plan to snorkel really well in the day so you don't freak at night. We know Maho and its easy entry makes its a delight. Only con- get out quick- bugs are killer and will eat you alive!!! One of the best snorkel experiences ever!!! :D happy to share pic ( if you want to see one octo go to island treasure maps 2012 archive wild card pics)
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

[/quote]
Hi Cindy's husband! We had small LED waterproof lights and that's it! We had our camera, but I was absolutely useless. Steve on the other hand was brilliant. He would find the octo with the light , take the light away, and get the picture like it was daytime. My biggest piece of advice would be know the area you plan to snorkel really well in the day so you don't freak at night. We know Maho and its easy entry makes its a delight. Only con- get out quick- bugs are killer and will eat you alive!!! One of the best snorkel experiences ever!!! :D happy to share pic ( if you want to see one octo go to island treasure maps 2012 archive wild card pics)[/quote]

Thank you for your quick reply. As far as your picture it is awesome! I voted for that one and some of your others a few months ago.

Snorkeling at night scares the Bee Gee's out of me. Mangrove snorkeling was not my thing either. My husband is so excited to try this. I think I will wait the last week of our vacation when my brother and sister and spouses join us. If us girls chicken out at least the guys can try it. I agree Maho would be the best to try. Hope we get lucky and see an octopus there!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We did night snorkeling at Trunk Bay on one trip. We had dive lights too. A waterproof light is a must. We saw an octopus and interesting fish. Its a bit disconcerting in the dark, but definitely interesting and different things to see. As the other person mentioned, getting out is awful because of the bugs on the beach. Next time, I would "stage" my stuff to make a quick getaway after we get out of the water.
When we were getting our gear on and backing into the water with our fins on, we saw a couple walking the beach watching us. They had a funny look on their face watching us get in the water at sunset :)
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

That's why we like Maho- we parked right in that little spot right next to the beach and hustle back to the car. Put your gear on in The water- start the snorkel right before sunset and take it off before you totally get out to get bit less by the bugs! Then hustle to that car! :D