picture through ruins window overlooking water

Travel discussion for St. John
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

brenda wrote:
deejayjay wrote:The trees in front of the window have grown up since that picture, and the view is not quite as good. It is the ruins at little lameshur.
I agree, the trees have really gotten out of control and the view is obscured as of last November. 2010 it was fine. Hopefull the NPS will trim down the foilage.
I took that picture in May 2011 so I think they may have cut things down after you were there Brenda, but things grow fast on the island so who knows what it looks like now. I went to America Hill last May and could not see hardly any of the ruins at all because they were covered in vines. I was wary to leave the trail because I could not see the ground through the vines:
America Hill Ruins by JRSIII, on Flickr

This is the view from the other window at Lameshur taken the same day as the one in the earlier post(sorry for the blur):
ruins at Little Lameshur by JRSIII, on Flickr

My favorite ruins have to be the Reef Bay House:
Reef Bay House ruins by JRSIII, on Flickr
You can tell that this place was really something back in it's day.

Under 60 days :!: :!:

-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
brenda

Post by brenda »

Yes, things grow very fast there! To clarify, in November 2010, it was fine. In November 2011 after you were there in May, it was very overgrown. Such a bummer because that is a money shot!! I'm glad we got it when we did.
Going "home" again October 26th!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Little Lamshur
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"