Thieves at Cinnamon & Trunk...

Travel discussion for St. John
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

Sit next to an older couple on the beach. They'll be happy to watch your "stuff" for you. We do it all the time.
conchman

Post by conchman »

We always lock our wallets and dry camera in the glove box of the Jeep (I always check to see if it works before we leave rental agency) So the only thing we have with us on the beach is towels, dry shirts. The only thing we have with us in the water is the wet camera and the key to the jeep and it fits in the "safe" pocket in my trunks. Unlike some, I do not trust others like some here, I always think someone might try and hurt or steal from us. And this will iritate some here, we do not pick up hitchhikers. I know alot of people here think this is part of the experience, I think it is somewhat risky. I don't do it here at home, I won't do it on STJ. I tend to "look over my shoulder" from time to time and lock the jeep and villa up. Following these, we have never had an issue...
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Relax and have fun, but always have an awareness about your surroundings and other people, and I don`t mean that you have to walk around being paranoid!

We should always look out for each other,we are all neighbors once we step onto the island!

I feel totally safe on St. John!!!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Conchman,

I'm glad that has worked for you, but I would never leave anything of value in the Jeep, locked up or not! I have a Jeep and the glove box is very easy to open even when locked!
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Pat wrote:We purchased a KYSS bag online.
Me too, after reading about it on this forum. It worked great as my 'personal' carry on bag, and I used it on the beach when snorkeling. (I had 2 days by myself on my last trip and felt comfortable leaving my camera, car key, etc. on the beach while out in the water.) I just put the chain around whatever was handy: beach chair, picnic table leg, etc.

We've left our belongings on the beach, unattended, many many times without a problem. But all it takes is one theft to kind of wreck your day, so I figured why not? I'll use it on other trips, too.

Here's where I ordered it: http://www.kyssbags.com/
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

For those who lock things in the jeep, remember that the jeeps are usually ragtops and easily broken into. The jeep is out of sight of you and other visitors to the beach. DO NOT bring your key in the water with you! Some of the newer vehicle keys have a "chip" in them and water will destroy the key. It is an expensive key to replace and you will be liable for it per your rental contract.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Got my KYSS bag in the mail today - broken lock :(

I emailed them, hopefully they will send a new lock
inuny

Post by inuny »

I have a kyss bag and also a pacsafe (which is smaller) (pacsafe.com)
lark22

Post by lark22 »

I always bring two credit cards to STJ. I keep one in the villa safe, and the other card stays in the glove compartment -- if it gets stolen, I can report it and have the other one as a backup. I also keep a $20 or two in the glove compartment as well, not a huge loss if the car is broken into.

Then all I bring to the beach is snorkel gear and a bag with towels & sunscreen. I keep the car key in the bag -- I never snorkel with it for the reasons that 'toes in the sand' mentioned above...we rent newer jeeps, and wrecking the key is an expensive mistake!

Camera never comes to the beach unless it's waterproof and I can take it in with me.
SAD

Post by SAD »

Was at Salt Pond last week and was told by some very nice people that they saw a person or persons in the woods lurking near stuff on a picnic table in the shade. So always beware. It was nice that others were talking about the possible thieves and spreading the word to those on the beach.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

These kind of things just plain suck,and we all know that there are people who prey on us good hearted "STJ Friendly" people...
Truthfully,I NEVER bring anything of value with me to the beach, aside from a cooler of beer,or a blender for frosty drinks,-(to be used & charged by the Jeeps' "cigarette lighter output" )or a bag of sandwiches with chips that I'd leave unattended.
I keep my car & villa keys and cash in a zip-type diving bracelet,so I don't have to worry.
Aside from that,the water-proof camera is always on my wrist.
Simple-dimple.
Either that,or bury your stash in the sand.
Just my 2 cents...-On vacation, I don't need anything getting in the way of my
Smiles-
MJ
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Kevino wrote:Sit next to an older couple on the beach. They'll be happy to watch your "stuff" for you. We do it all the time.
Yeah, well, anybody older than us can't make it down to a beach.......so I guess we older folks have to stay on the beach and watch you young whipper snappers go swim, snorkel and have fun...... 8) :D
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Just wanted to note that after receiving my KYSS bag with the broken lock, the company very quickly sent me a new lock :)
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I hate to have to bump this one up, but unfortunately we were hit at Salt Pond today. He was lurking in the woods and getting into the bags behind everyone. He got cash from lots of bags, numerous groups of people. I don't believe he took anything else...no credit cards, iphones, cameras, etc, but cash from many people up and down the beach. All the men were chasing him for quite a while. We called 911, and they responded. The police showed up and knew who it was, but were not able to get him today.
I've always felt safe on St John, but remember to be smart and make sure not to leave valuables out of your sight.
Image[/url]
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'm sorry, Kentuckygirl... That's buzzkill for sure.