The Coral Bay Hotel issue

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

JT wrote:To me, I have hated to see the progress of STJ in general, especially on that side of the island. I find it hard to believe that when Lawrence Rockafeller tried to perserve STJ as the pearl of the Caribbean, that he envisioned all of the villas and paved roads from Cruz Bay to Lamesure, with hundreds of rental cars traveling around. I think that when the next economic recovery happens a marina will get built, along with a condo complex, in Coral Bay. The "Key West-ing" of the whole island is inevitable.
I couldn't agree more, and it's sad...
Bryan
Lex

Post by Lex »

That's an interesting thought, JT. I'd agree that Rockefeller probably thought he was locking things up pretty tight, but it hasn't gone that way. The land not included in the park has just come to be seen as commercial property, used however the owner wants or is able to get zoning for. Park land is more or less untouchable, but a lot of people don't think of the VINP as being a National Park in the same way that they do Yosemite. For some, it's just another Caribbean island. Some are actually unaware it's a national park, which would be impossible in other parks.

We may get back again some year, but we also may not, which was interesting for me to recognize. We loved the island as it was when we first visited. Some of the people who enjoy it now wouldn't have been happy there in the 80s. The island has changed and the kind of tourist it attracts has changed. Probably someone will always be delighted to discover STJ, but I do think it's strayed far from what Rockefeller's vision for it. I'd also wonder what the old St Johnians who were wary of the national park idea would make of this. Picture Mooie and Laurence sitting at a heavenly table, reflecting on how it's worked out. "If we only knew...."
JT

Post by JT »

Lex, as we all know, things usually happen very slowly in Coral Bay. In 2006 the permits were approved for the fairly massive development by the T- rex Corporation of a marina, pump out station, condos, etc on land owned primarily by the Moravian Church going from Skinny Legs to Island Blues. Additionally, the Marsh Family has stated their intentions to develop their land into a shopping center, and then some, where the Love City Mini-Mart now stands. Of course, the marina talk has been going on for so many years that the general feeling from Coral Bay locals is "not in my lifetime." One day it will just start happening, but not in the present economy.In the scope of things, the ambitious plan for the old Voyager's building is penny ante. I do have to laugh when I hear that anybody thinks that many of the guests would take the Vitran to stay in Coral Bay. Without a car you are pretty limited as to what you can do and see in Coral Bay, though the bus does go to Salt Pond. Other then that, you can pub crawl back and forth between Skinny's and Aqua Bistro. with a stop at Sputnik's and Island Blues in between. At least you wouldn't have to worry about getting a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.