Earthquake hits DC and Virgina

Travel discussion for St. John
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I have parents in Charlottesville- my stepmom was VERY unnerved by it! Glad everyone is OK. Hang tight and lets blow that darn hurricane out to sea (or towards Texas- we could use he rain :wink: :shock: :wink:
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We are about 90 miles from where it happened. I was home and it scared the crap out of me! Seemed to me like it lasted for minutes......but it was only seconds. We have no damage here or in the area! Now we're getting ready for Irene :(
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We are about 90 miles from where it happened. I was home and it scared the crap out of me! Seemed to me like it lasted for minutes......but it was only seconds. We have no damage here or in the area! Now we're getting ready for Irene :(
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Felt it way up here!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Here in Annapolis MD, wine glasses fell out of the hutch, pictures off the wall. Hubby was home and ran outside expecting to see a big oak tree on our roof...said the noise was huge. I teach at a special Ed school and I was so proud of all the kids for holding it together. Some freak at big rain storms.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Loud rumbling, lots of vibration, everything in the house rattled, but nothing broken. Cats awakened from sound sleep made a mad dash to hide under the bed & stayed there for some time afterwards.

My first thought was that construction workers not far from here might have hit a gas line causing an explosion of some sort, but then there were no sirens. Finally it dawned on me it must have been an earthquake.

Husband's office had water leaks develop in some of the plumbing, the building next to his has cracks in it (Germantown,MD - 30 miles northwest of DC)

Son-in-law felt it in downtown Toronto and texted us when he heard where it wqas centered.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

PeggyKristine

Post by PeggyKristine »

I work in Manhattan. Felt some good rumblings and swaying on the 7th floor of our building. They evacuated us and sent us home since it would take awhile to inspect the building! A half day? I'll take it!
Boxer5

Earthquake

Post by Boxer5 »

I'm in Richmond, VA and was reading in my screened porch when everything shook and the ceiling fan looked like is was going to drop. Ran to get my husband. No damage but a few pictures were askew. We lived in Calif. and have experienced some bigger quakes so I knew this was one. It is something you never forget. Thankfully there was little damage but Louisa got the most damage.
Boxer5
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Quite a quake that is felt from NY to StJ
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

It's a sad statement. California is so broke that even its earthquakes are moving back east. :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jenxogirl

Post by jenxogirl »

I am in Charlottesville too...about 27 miles from the epicenter.

It was actually very scary..not because there was a ton of damage or injuries but just the experience of it all.

We live near an airport and I honestly thought a plane was crashing because it was so loud, windows were rattling as if they would break. The earthqauke felt very long too...it was over a minute long though the last half was mostly tremors, the strongest part in the beginning.

We still have schools that cannot start due to damage and people are still cleaning up. I am so thankful it was minor overall.

My poor 8 year old daughter was home with me at the time and she was absolutely hysterical...mostly because I couldn't tell her what was happening...I really didn't realize it was an earthquake until it was over!