When you snorkel do you wear the fins or not?????

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks everyone for all your great responses. We look forward to our first trip this summer with our kids. Looks like we will either rent fins or try to make them fit in the carryon. With four of us it should work - I think!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I vote for fins. I got a carry-on backpack for fins and masks and snorkles and was able to get 3 sets in the bag
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

I think fins are a necessity while snorkeling. I would also recommend going to a dive shop at home and buying good quality fins for all. Make sure they are fitted properly and comfortable. The first time we bought snorkeling stuff, we just got it at a sporting goods store and the fins I had gave me blisters and were so painful I couldn't wear them. We usually snorkel for a couple of hours a day and without fins it would be tiring and difficult.
jmq

Post by jmq »

STJdreams wrote:I think fins are a necessity while snorkeling. I would also recommend going to a dive shop at home and buying good quality fins for all. Make sure they are fitted properly and comfortable. The first time we bought snorkeling stuff, we just got it at a sporting goods store and the fins I had gave me blisters and were so painful I couldn't wear them. We usually snorkel for a couple of hours a day and without fins it would be tiring and difficult.
Any fins can give you blisters if they happen to rub you the wrong way, dont fit well, are not properly adjusted, if you have sensitive feet, etc.
I have a pair of those neoprene booties that I use with fins to help avoid those problems. They also protect your feet a little if you have to walk in or out over rocks and stuff.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
petepie

Post by petepie »

I bring my own mask & snorkel, rent fins (about $25 for the week) and a buoyancy belt (I'm lazy) for about $10 a week from the scuba place at the Westin. We don't stay there, just run over there to get the gear and go.
melmd

Post by melmd »

I always wear fins, don;t leave home without them :lol:
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

oh cripes, use fins. Get good ones also, properly fitted, it makes a difference.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Hawaii wrote:Thanks everyone for all your great responses. We look forward to our first trip this summer with our kids. Looks like we will either rent fins or try to make them fit in the carryon. With four of us it should work - I think!
Costco selling a nice backpack set that the kids loved, fins are a little smaller which helps when traveling for $50 see link

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet ... =C&topnav=

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet ... =C&topnav=

and yes SurhNH we got them from the Nashua store :roll:
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

LOL! I love that Costco, but I wouldn't buy food from a dive shop, and I wouldn't buy diving supplies from a food store.....but my wife just came from there an hour ago with a case of oranges for $10, can't beat it! :lol:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I always wear fins but my husband will occasionally not wear them for short snorkels that are close to shore.

For longer snorkels fins are an absolute must. For example, most of the times we've snorkeled Waterlemon the current has been fine, but one time it was so strong that I don't think I would have made it out alive without fins. The current was insane.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Seasister

Post by Seasister »

We always wear ours. Makes diving deeper easier and getting back to shore easier.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We always where them. We tend to go out for a long time and they really help when we are tired and want to get back. We just pack them in a bag with all our equipment and check it. Never had a problem.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Augie and I always wear fins if we are going out any distance, but we have found some amazing "baby nurseries" right off the shoreline in 2-4 feet of water where if we wear our fins we will disturb the new coral, scare the babies etc while we hover. It's amazing what you can when you don't move. But I totally agree with everyone else -if you are anywhere where you could have a change in conditions and have any need for speed- fins are a necessity.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Always the fins. Year 3 with US Diver short fins. We do some amazing long distance snorkeling in short fins. Wonder what it would be like with the long fins?