Don't look if you're not a Cooler Person

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Right before you go up Jacob's ladder. Parking is fun, but the prices are good. They also had the best prices for pool noodles.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

heading out of town, it is on the left at the bottom of Jacobs Ladder.

It is small, a neighborhood market/large convenience store. Nothing like the Starfish, at all. We bought a lot of booze, water and ice there during the 2007 trip.

I will admit to being lazy, this past trip we just went to the new market (on the Westin side of the hill) because it has much better parking.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I see it now. I always thought it looked sketchy. But, if it's cheap, I'll go!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

It's only sketchy if Flip Flip and I are in there, otherwise perfectly safe.

We saved SO MUCH MONEY by shopping there for our trip last June. Easily saved $100 - $200 vs Starfish. It's not as pretty but the liquor prices were good as were the prices on other items when we comparison shopped on island that week.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Oh, it looks sketchy. But the rum is $5 for the big bottle. There's nothing sketchy about that. :D
augie

Post by augie »

elcnj wrote:Pine Peace has best prices for beer.

We just returned from a first-timer trip to St John. I never made it into Starfish :shock: but stopped in Pine Peace several times.
We were in St. John Spice last week talking to Ruth about options for picking up a few things we needed, and someone in the store made that exact same statement - maybe it was you?
Come see us!
elcnj

Post by elcnj »

Pine Peace definitely sketchy for parking - especially with my Paris rental for the week of a not-so-good-turning-radius short-bed truck a.k.a. "shaggy van" a.k.a. "concussion cab"
more on that when I do a trip report.
I really didn't even look much at groceries or produce at Pine Peace. In it for beer and booze.

We stopped in St John's market a couple times. Very clean, well laid out but no where near the local feel of Pine Peace.

My brother stopped in Starfish based on my high praise which was based on the high praise from forum folks. He absolutely concurred with those reviews. He tends towards high-end anyway whereas my hubbie and self enjoy saving a few $ and getting a more local flavor.

I still wish I had made a point to go to Starfish. My lists of "wish I had done ... " and "next time I will..." are longer than the list of what we did when there last week, which wasn't too shabby considering we were a crew of 16 ranging in age from 5 to almost 85.
elcnj

Post by elcnj »

augie wrote:
elcnj wrote:Pine Peace has best prices for beer.

We just returned from a first-timer trip to St John. I never made it into Starfish :shock: but stopped in Pine Peace several times.
We were in St. John Spice last week talking to Ruth about options for picking up a few things we needed, and someone in the store made that exact same statement - maybe it was you?
it might have been. I finally made it to St John SPice on our last day ... Friday afternoon. But maybe not cause it seemed like whoever was asking might have ahd a few mroe days to stay?
augie

Post by augie »

elcnj wrote: it might have been. I finally made it to St John SPice on our last day ... Friday afternoon. But maybe not cause it seemed like whoever was asking might have ahd a few mroe days to stay?
It was Friday afternoon! And we were staying until the following Tuesday! Were you wearing a white hat or visor? And maybe a blue or teal colored top?

:shock:
Come see us!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I think Augie's a stalker. :lol:

You can still have the starfish experience. Go in your kitchen, pick up a box of fruity pebbles and flush a $20 down your toilet. :lol:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Lulu76 wrote:I think Augie's a stalker. :lol:

You can still have the starfish experience. Go in your kitchen, pick up a box of fruity pebbles and flush a $20 down your toilet. :lol:
You just described our Lucky Charms experience. Someone introduced our 4 yo to Lucky Charms while on STJ and I swear we went through a box a day.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

We went to the market near the Westin too. We lucked out because the produce guy was unloading while we were there and we got a lot of good fresh veggies and fruits.
Last time we went to Pine Peace someone hit our jeep. My husband was sitting in it in a parking space waiting for me to pick up a few things in the store and a local woman backed into the spare tire on our jeep which made it lerch forward. Then she put her car in drive and drove off. Luckily there was no damage but she didn't know that and she had to have known she hit our vehicle.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I remember when I first decided to go to the VIs. One of my friends said "Good luck with that. We took our kids in the 80s and it was $8 for a box of fruity pebbles."

It's $9 for a block of cheese and $5 for a box of crackers that kills me. Because, without fail, I will get drunk at least twice during the week and want to eat cheese and crackers on the beach.

I am jealous of the cheese blocks in Pip's cooler.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Lulu76 wrote:
It's $9 for a block of cheese and $5 for a box of crackers that kills me. Because, without fail, I will get drunk at least twice during the week and want to eat cheese and crackers on the beach.
EXACTLY why I bring cheese and crackers, no matter what!
augie

Post by augie »

Lulu76 wrote:I think Augie's a stalker. :lol:
Maybe, but the cops would love someone that could describe what a perp of a crime was wearing, etc.

Of course I'd probably go to the police station and then forget why I went into the room I was in...
Come see us!