Dumb things tourists say :)

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Dumb things tourists say :)

Post by Pia »

OK, before you pick on me for being mean, I don't mean this in a mean way - just a humourous one :)
and I do realize we are all "dumb" at some point (me more than most in some (OK most) instances and I admit it :) ) and we are all "tourists" in new places we visit but I thought I would post this just for fun :)

So we took the boat to Jost on Friday and we are getting ready to swim into Soggy when a couple arrive in their Nauti Nymph and proceed to take forever getting ready - finally after setting their anchor they shout over to us and ask if we have a spare dry bag - sorry we don't is our answer, well how do you buy drinks and food is their next question, with a credit card or cash we reply.......humm, well doesn't it get wet they say.....yes that's why they call it the Soggy Dollar
we answer :wink:

They looked totally confused :? and the next thing we see is the man swimming to shore (all 15') with a life vest on and all his "stuff" to be kept dry perched on top of it.........too cute (OK funny) :)

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

LOL quite an image!

We ran in to quite an interesting fella last trip. He was lost and looking for his villa. Where's it located we ask. Don't know he says but it overlooks a little bay with boats! :roll: :shock:
Wonder if he's still driving around looking for the Villa Calarada (as he called it, clearly from Texas or some where like that there!)
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

As Bill Engvall says: "Here's your sign" :lol:
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: This should be a good thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bevm

Post by bevm »

My favorite heard on the ferry..."Is St. John surrounded by water?"
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

I had to dig through my "keepers" to find the following article. It's from USA Today and probably at least ten years old. Makes me laugh every time I read it:

No question too dumb? Try these:
"your favorite ocean front resort is probably booked solid through August. The airports are seemingly overrun by out-of-control, pint-size vacationers. Any everywhere, tourists are asking really, really dumb questions. Herewith, the International Association of Convention & Visitor Bureaus' latest list of 10 weirdest questions fielded from would-be vacationers in the past year:

*Do you have a map of the Iditarod Trail? We'd like to go for a walk now (asked at the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau).

*Which beach is closest to the water? (Florida Space Coast Office of Tourism).

*Have we made peace with the Indians? (Scottsdale, AZ Chamber of Commerce).

*Where can we find Amish hookers? We want to buy a quilt? (PA Dutch CVB).

*What is the official language of Alaska? (Fairbanks CVB).

*Where are Scarlett and Rhett buried and are they buried together? (Cobb County, GA, CVB).

*If you go to a restaurant in Idaho and you don't want any kind of potato with your meal, will they ask you to leave? (Boise CVB).

*What's the best time of the year to watch a deer turn into an elk? (Denver Metro CVB).

*I am trying to build a flying saucer; where do I go for help? (San Jose CVB).

*Where can I find a listing of jazz funerals for the month? I'd like to bring a group of students down to attend one (New Orleans Metropolitan CVB).

(':D') Jamestown
Bob & Anita

Re: Dumb things tourists say :)

Post by Bob & Anita »

Pia wrote:...and the next thing we see is the man swimming to shore (all 15') with a life vest on and all his "stuff" to be kept dry perched on top of it..
That would have made a great picture.
Bob & Anita
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

My favorite:

I had just arrived on a solo trip and I am sitting on the last car ferry of the day from Red Hook to St. John. A guy in a Jeep behind me comes up to my window on the ride over and asks me if I am familiar enough with STJ to answer a few questions. One of his questions, "We are staying on STT and are just coming over for the evening. What time is the last ferry back?"

My answer: "Uh oh."

:lol:
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Before I retired from the travel agency, a couple of ladies came in to book a multi-island trip to Hawaii.

I asked them which day they wanted to fly from Oahu to Maui. One of the ladies said she had been there before and they just drove the rental car from one island to another. :roll:
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

RL 8)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have a few good ones

When I was working at JJ's, a cruise ship visitor came in and asked for some plastic cups so she could collect the different colors of ocean water to bring home. :roll:

A very common one was "Do you live here?"

My roomate worked at Cruz Bay Watersports and had a phone caller that wanted to know if they had an "under island" dive trip

The best was when I was working at Paradiso and I was waiting on a couple. No matter what I did or what I said she would comment "they don't do it like that in New York" It was getting a little annoying and after bringing the check she said it once more. I looked at her and said "Do you see the Empire State Building? she looked shocked and said " of course not" I replied "That is because we are not in New York, we do it like we are in STJ and I suggest that you return to NY if you don't like that"

I did not get a tip that night :shock:
RickG

Post by RickG »

bevm wrote:My favorite heard on the ferry..."Is St. John surrounded by water?"
She's alive!

Hey, is that a cherry....

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

A friend of mine used to work for a charter boat co on STT. He used to get a lot of stupid questions, among them were:

"Is there rum in the rum punch?"

and my fave:

"Do the islands go all the way to the bottom?"

We had some newbies with us one time and one half of the equation wasn't into anything foodwise beyond bread, steak and mac & cheese (if I had known they would have never been invited).

Anyway they wanted to eat somewhere nice, so I recommended Asolare. We dropped them off and went to hang out at the Beach Bar.

When we picked them up later we asked them what they had to eat. The husband said that he ordered the filet mignon spring rolls as an appetizer.

I said, "Mmm. That sounds yummy."

He said that he was "dissappointed because they weren't bread."

I looked at him confused -- he explained that he thought they were "you know...springy rolls."

This is the same guy who kept complaining that the island was "hot" (duh. We're 14 degrees off the equator) and his idea of an outing was that he wanted to go to the STT K-mart to look for Star Wars actions figures.

Seriously.

I think we should start another thread called "Newbie Nightmares"--now THAT would be entertaining!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

I'm sure I have said some pretty dumb things, luckily I don't remember them and the people I spoke to - don't know me! I just hope I don't end up as a horror story on the forum - but if I do- you won't know it's me! (Although I am aware that islands are surrounded by water and attached at the bottom, so I have that going for me!
Deb
DiverDrew

Post by DiverDrew »

Not really a tourist thing, but close...

My friend Kelly and I had just arrived in Grand Cayman for a week of diving. Kelly had just commented on how the airport had that small town, could run into someone you know vibe, when I recognized a guy in the crowd coming towards me.

"Hey Joe!", I commented, as he walked by giving me a nod. Proud of herself for predicting we'd know someone, I had to explain to Kelly that I didn't really know this guy, but that he was Joe Theismann a famous former quarterback of the Washington Redskins.

Without hesitation she asked me, "Is that who the Theismann Trophy is named after?"