DC trip

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mbw1024

DC trip

Post by mbw1024 »

I know there was a thread around here before about this but I can't seem to find it. Taking my Father in Law to the Capitol City for his 80th birthday over Thanksgiving weekend.
Staying at the Hyatt Capitol Hill on NJ Avenue and looking for dining recommendations.
Funny as it may seem my FIL loves to go out for a good burger so looking for recommendations on that and any other dining options we shouldn't miss.
He's a walker and a NYC native so taking subways or walking city blocks don't phase him.

Thanks!
mia

Post by mia »

Hi Mary Beth,

We have stayed at that Hyatt several times.....our son & family live five blocks over from the Capitol. For burgers I remember going to Capitol City Brewing Co. Charlie Palmer's Steakhouse may have burgers on their lunch and bar menu, also good for a nice dinner. I like Johnny's Half Shell, which I believe is in that general area.

I'm sure forumites from the area can be of more help.....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Hi Mia. How's the Hyatt, did you like it? I got it for a good price on Priceline.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi Mary Beth,

We stayed at the same Hyatt a few years ago (October, 2004 - also got a good deal on priceline).

The location is good and the rooms were nice. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but there was a lively bar in the lobby area.

If I remember correctly, it was walking distance (maybe a lengthy walk) to Union Station (?); lots of restaurants in that area. Unfortunately, I don't recall where we ate; it was lot of quick stops. I do remember collapsing at a nice steak house on our last evening; it was not near the hotel, but not far from where the Wizards play - if I find my notes, I'll send you the name.

have fun,
janet
mia

Post by mia »

Hey MB,

It is a decent hotel and for a good rate on Priceline, you can't go wrong. It is in a very convenient location. We usually eat breakfast in their restaurant and we have ordered room service....not bad for either. There are so many restaurants in that area; we always ventured out for meals....mia
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Mary Beth - I asked for restaurant recommendations for our trip last summer, perhaps that was the thread you were thinking of? Anyway, based on the forum recs, we ate lunch at Chef Geoffs which was excellent. It was near the White House and had great burgers, a very nice place. We had a great dinner at the Matchbox, in Chinatown, also recommended by the forum, which was fabulous. Our choices ranged from the brick-oven pizzas to mouth-watering filet mignon. It was small and quaint, had great wine and food..we really enjoyed it.
mia

Post by mia »

Mary Beth,

I agree with martini girl.....Matchbox is a great place to eat.

Another "must do" whenever we visit is Belga Cage. I'm drooling just thinking about the mussels and pomme frites...yum....also love the many different beers offered.

http://www.belgacafe.com/
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

keep the ideas coming! FIL doesn't drink any more but we sure do :)

FIL also loves German food
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

We used to take visitors to the TOMBS at Georgetown U
1226 36th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20007
Phone (202) 337-6668
It is a college bar in the basement...no view...nice atmosphere....good burgers. Not a tourist place . Nice little walk through Gtown.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

mbw - I've lived and worked on Capitol Hill in DC since Gerald Ford was prez, and in all those years the best burgers I've had have been at the Hawk n'Dove - a great Capitol Hill watering hole at 4th and Pennsylvania, SE - 4 blocks from the Capitol. Also highly recommended is Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th Street NW - a block from the White House. It's a classy old restaurant and bar with great seafood and an oyster bar. DC is great city to walk around and see the sights...
Chet

Post by Chet »

MB - all good suggestions. Cap City and Hawk 'n Dove will lead you to visit some of the more beautiful buildings. Cap City is in the Old Post Office - make sure to walk through the upstairs hall. (My local PO is located on the ground floor) And a short stroll from the Hawk is the old Library of Congress building - a must see.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Mary Beth:
If he likes german food, you may want to try Cafe Mozart. It's been on H street just about forever. I haven't been there in a long time but it may be fun.
http://www.cafemozartgermandeli.com/zgr ... ap/map.jsp The are lots of good places downtown these days and on the Hill. You may also like the Old Ebbitt http://www.ebbitt.com/main/index-flash.cfm across from the Treasury building and on the next block go tot he top of the Hotel Washington for a drink with a great view.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Mary Beth,
I worked in DC last year and Cafe Mozart is a good place to go for German food. The waiter we had was German and quite lively. Its a short walk from the Metro Center stop. When you go into Cafe Mozart, it looks like a small deli/shop. You have to walk through the deli to the very back and it opens into the restaurant.
I didn't like the food at Cap City at all.
Washington is such a beautiful city with so many nice things to see. Hope you have a great trip.
J
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Mary Beth---I've stayed in that Hyatt---its a nice hotel. I remember an enjoyable evening at The Dubliner while staying there (maybe 2 blocks away)---pretty traditional Irish bar with burgers, fish and chips etc. which your F-I-L might enjoy. Would also second the recommendation of The Tombs for a good burger if you're in Georgetown.
---Jim
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks all this is great info!