Public restrooms on Caneel Beach

Travel discussion for St. John
vacationpants

Public restrooms on Caneel Beach

Post by vacationpants »

According to the St. John Beach Guide: The Caneel Bay resort provides public access to Caneel and Honeymoon Beaches only - and it states: Facilities for day guests include restaurants, public rest rooms and a gift shop - can someone verify that we can use Caneel beach and that there are restrooms that non guests can use? Also, is there good snorkeling there? Thanks
bj

Post by bj »

vacationpants wrote: ...can someone verify that we can use Caneel beach and that there are restrooms that non guests can use? Also, is there good snorkeling there?

There is a section of the beach at Caneel Bay Resort that is open to non guests. No, not the whole beach and not the beach chairs. Yes, there is a restroom that is also for non guests. It is near the patio bar area. I believe, other stj beaches would offer better snorkeling.
Peace,
bj
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

I think Caneel Beach has great snorkeling over to the right side. I have seen turtles and lots of sting rays there. My husband saw a baby nurse shark there. It's a lovely beach!
jectac

Post by jectac »

Caneel is usually one of our stops while on STJ. As others stated, there is a restroom by the beach as you eneter the beach area.

As far as snorkeling, we have had some good sightings while at Caneel. Hubby and I even snorkel from Caneel over to Honeymoon and back. There is good snorkeling around the bend.

We usually sit to the immediate left, as this is the area we prefer, by a little rock wall. We also are sure to purchase a drink from the bar!!!

Hope this helps.

Tracy
hugo

Post by hugo »

BJ,
Not sure what you mean about only a section of main Caneel Beach being open to the public---all of Caneel's beachs are open to the public,up to the vegetation line, if you can get there by public access (Main Caneel and Honeymoon) or the water (all the rest). Are they public property? Not really, but that's another story of the VI's creative legislature.
bj

Post by bj »

hugo wrote:
BJ,
Not sure what you mean about only a section of main Caneel Beach being open to the public...

I was referring to the section of beach in front of the guest rooms.
Peace,
bj
hugo

Post by hugo »

Not to keep nit-picking, but the beach in front of the guest rooms is not in any way off- limits, except the beach chairs.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

here is a great post that may clear up some of your questions.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ght=caneel
bj

Post by bj »

hugo... yes you are technically correct with the VI code for beach use. I apologize if I mislead anyone in regards to using the whole beach at Caneel Bay Resort.
Peace,
bj
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I snorkeled on the left side of Caneel Beach last year along the rocks. Saw a lot of nice fish and squid. The beach is open to the public but we did not use their chairs, mainly we just snorkeled and left. The do have a bar there and some shops. Worth the visit just to check it out.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Ok, so. After reading these posts and the link xislandgirl added, this is what I come up with:

A) You can use Caneel beach, as long as you don't get there by going on Caneel property. And don't use the resort chairs or cross the veg line.

B) And to get there, you go by swimming there, or hiking there somehow, like the trail mentioned.

C) And if your there, you may be asked to leave (and or asked what your room # is on a random basis?

Weird. :? Sounds like a hassle. :? Is this right?

I was thinking about going there next coming up trip because I have heard good things about it.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

Dave,
A is different than B and C. Confusing, I know.
Caneel's main beach, as well as Honeymoon beach, ARE open to the public. You can walk through their property to get there.
Your points of B and C are about the others: Scott, Paradise, Hawksnest, and Turtle Beaches. Those are the ones that you are not suppossed to cross private property to get to.
Hope this helps!
Juli
Badger5

Post by Badger5 »

We went to Caneel twice on our last trip. The first time, we hiked from Cruz Bay to Solomon and then Honeymoon beach, had lunch at Caneel and then took a taxi back to Cruz Bay. The second time, we drove to Caneel and parked in their parking lot, had lunch and enjoyed the beach in front of the resort. The staff was very accomodating and lunch was very good. We found the snorkling to be best at Solomon to the left side of the beach and in between Solomon and Honeymoon. Hope this helps.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

OK...so I need help here.

Which one is Caneel Beach (the one with allegedly good snorkeling)?

I've also gone there twice: once we parked at the resort and walked to Honeymoon. Once we walked form town through Solomon and Honeymoon and caught a cab to town.

I'm a little familiar with the resort's layout, but unsure which is the "main beach"

Thanks
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

pipanale wrote:OK...so I need help here.

Which one is Caneel Beach (the one with allegedly good snorkeling)?

I've also gone there twice: once we parked at the resort and walked to Honeymoon. Once we walked form town through Solomon and Honeymoon and caught a cab to town.

I'm a little familiar with the resort's layout, but unsure which is the "main beach"

Thanks
It's the one that is in front of the guest check in area. Do you know what I mean by that? If you park in the lot and follow the path straight to the beach that's the one.