For all you FF users

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I have the delta skymiles platinum card and I have had great luck. Booked FF tickets over thanksgiving last year the 330 days in advance and just booked 3 more just 3 months in advance for an August trip.

I don't really have any experience with any of the others but I have been pleased with the ability to book tickets and the service as well. I think our annual fee is $135 + the $10 or $15 a ticket.

The way I look at it in the past 2 years we've gotten 7 tickets to STT for $135+$135+$40+45 = $355. Sorry but $50 a ticket can't be beat & is totally worth the hassle to me.

We also never carry a balance, though they allow you to which is nice just in case you have a bad month!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

If you can swing it, we're big fans of the Amex Platinum card. There is a hefty annual fee but it is consistently rated by travel gurus as one of the best cards to have.

We earn points (sometimes double and triple) just by buying and paying off the monthly balance. Plus we can boorow up to 50k points and have a year to pay them back.

The thing about the reg amex platinum vs. the Delta platinum is that there are other airlines to choose from. We like the fact that the card allows us access to AA, Delta, Northwest or Continental's lounges free of charge as long as we have a ticket on that airline for that day. You can even bring in a guest. Last December we met up with DC Photo and her hubby and they came into the AA lounge with us to hang before the flight. Just nicer. PLus free drinks and food!!

They also have a domestic companion airfare program. As long as the ticket is $299 or more you can get a free companion ticket on the same itinerary up tp 4 times a year (blackout dates apply).

They do the same with full fare business and first class tickets for international travel.

There are so many other benefits associated with this card including a dedicated concierge. We use them to get reservations at restaurants. My fave is when I call the restaurant myself and they say thay're full. Then I call Amex, and they call and suddenly we have a great table at my preferred time. Not becuse the restaurant is rude but because they have agreements with Amex to keep a certain number of tables open for Amex.

You also get preferred status at three different car rentals and some hotel chains. You get automatic and guaranteed upgrades if available.

Overall, while I may not rack up the FF points as quickly as my buddy flip flop, I like the flexibility that my points offer -- tons of airlines to choose from and great service from AMex. We have been able to fly transatlantic upper class on Virgin Atlantic Airlines three times. Those tix are normally $8K a piece.

Like I said, this card comes at a price (not as high as their black card) but substantive. If you like to travel a lot and appreciate these amenities then you should at least check it out.

We love this card and the amenities it provides.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

FYI - my delta skymiles is an amex too. Sorry I neglected to mention that. Also, its more flexible than you think. Our FF tickets to STJ in August are on Continental. They codeshare with a lot of other airlines. Just 2 more cents...

I am running out of cents (or is it sense) here.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Another Amex family chiming in. Because of Hubs refusal to plan vacations around anything but his schedule, our ff miles were impossible to use. So far, the Amex fee has paid for itself. For an upcoming trip, I am using Amex rewards points to pay for 2 full fare round-trip tickets to TCI.
sizzler

ff credit cards

Post by sizzler »

I am filling my recycle box with zillions of ff offers; I get them whether or not I already have the cards. Every year my husaband and I cancel our old cards and get new ones with citibankAA and united = they offer lots of free miles and are free for a year. (when we call to cancel, they always offer to give it to us free, but we cancel anyway to get the introductory free miles). We stagger these so we always have at least one non-Amex card...

That said, I always use my starwoods card unless the merchant won't take AMEX. I think if they have a room in the starwoods chain, they give it to you and they are great point deals. And points are transferred to many airlines on a 20,000 point equals 25000 miles basis

None of these are worth anything if you don't pay them off each month....
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

We have a US Scareways B of A Visa. Think twice about using them because it's seriously hard to get a flight you want unless you schedule it 6-8 months in advance. I tried to get tix to Hawaii and there was nothing available....10 months in advance of our trip!

They have very few seats available for FF miles.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

We use the AA card at this momentwe have 2 free tics going to use them before miles go up. Getting ready to get the AA card for me so we can get another free tic ya get 25000 miles when you apply. The other is in my wifes name, the AA card lets both spouses join and take advantage of the miles. Most offtravel times ya can get for 30000 if lucky 25000 they have alot of openings for offtravel dates at least in our neck of the woods. Then we will cancel and go on to the next airline offering the most free miles. Have gotten 5 free tics this way and we only fly on vacations not bussiness. These cards only make sense if ya don't carry a balance PAY IT OFF EVERY MONTH 8)