Stupid frozen food carry on question.....

Travel discussion for St. John
susan & herb

Stupid frozen food carry on question.....

Post by susan & herb »

We will be taking a small carry on of some steaks and chicken with us. I want to make sure that everything stays frozen and I was wondering if I wrapped the steaks and chicken in aluminum foil before I put them in freezer bags would this have any effect going thru the scanner at the airport?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have no idea if that would cause a problem. It is a great question.

We use a vac sealer for out meat and layer newspaper in between each package. We also make sure that the cooler is completely packed full and we have not had any problem. Leaving the house at 6 and then arriving at the villa at 4.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Last trip I packed my carry on cooler bag with ice packs that I left in the car when we arrived at airport parking. After getting through security, I went to one of the restaurants with double zip lock bags and asked if they could fill them. All food was frozen when I unpacked it in St John and there was still ice in the zip locks! I wrap my frozen food in newspaper, it is something my grandmother always did. This is my new answer for keeping food cold when flying with the no ice/gel pak rules. Hope this helps!
darmu

Post by darmu »

Has anyone brought frozen food from Canada to St. John? We're headed there from Calgary in July and haven't booked flights yet. We may wind up overnighting in Florida so we can buy the food there if it unfeasable to bring it in from Canada. I suspect customs would not allow this but just wondering if any canucks here have tried.
Beachboy

aluminum foil

Post by Beachboy »

Susan

We pack our frozen food in newspaper and aluminum foil and have never had a problem, either as a carry on or checked luggage.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Thanks for the info.

May 15th can't come soon enough!!
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

pjayer

Post by pjayer »

tjwgrr wrote:Get some Techni Ice - great stuff.

http://search.ebay.com/techni-ice_W0QQf ... pZ3QQgbrZ1
Can this be used in a carry-on on the plane? Love your ticker!
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
jcm

Post by jcm »

They will confiscate Techni-Ice at security.
Getting ice in ziplock bags after check-in good idea.
Have a great trip.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

jcm wrote:They will confiscate Techni-Ice at security.
Getting ice in ziplock bags after check-in good idea.
Have a great trip.
Is this something new? I know many people have used Techni Ice very successfully
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We used Techni-ice in our son's lunch cooler in Feb/mar and had no problems with security.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

You can use Techni-ice/Blue Ice/gel packs in checked luggage, and if it's frozen you can use it in carry on luggage.

If it isn't frozen they will likely confiscate it, but that's only for carry-on luggage. You can take thawed packs in checked luggage only.
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

Okay, I'm confused. Someone said that you couldn't take ice in carry on and someone said they got ice in ziplock bags after check in. So can you or can't you take a cooler with ice as your carry on?
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

Darmu,

We are from Canada & take frozen food down, but we fly out of the states. We don't tell them at the boarder that we have it mind you :wink:

I really doubt that Canadian customs would allow you to take it with you.

If you picked some up in florida then you would just be able to keep it cold which may be a challenge.

The Shopper
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

Teresa_Rae wrote:You can use Techni-ice/Blue Ice/gel packs in checked luggage, and if it's frozen you can use it in carry on luggage.

If it isn't frozen they will likely confiscate it, but that's only for carry-on luggage. You can take thawed packs in checked luggage only.
Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has anymore stories to tell about bringing frozen steaks or chicken down in carry-on bags. Will the TSA give you a hassle about frozen food in your carry-on?