Maho Bay & Concordia

Travel discussion for St. John
J420

Maho Bay & Concordia

Post by J420 »

Hey all,
My girlfriend and I are going to St. John for the first time, from May 1-10th. We're staying with friends for the first couple of days, but wanted to branch off on our own for the second half of our stay (how much fun is vacationing on someone else's couch anyway?). I've heard pretty conflicting reports about the eco-tents. We're outdoors people and love camping and backpacking, but people have spoken of enormous bugs in their tents at night that have eaten them alive, as well as a real difference in the experience - depending on what tent you wind up with. Does anyone have any favorites as far as specific tents/levels? Am I better off, for the money, bringing a tent to pitch somewhere? Is that even an option? As far as a choice between Maho Bay and Concordia, which would your recommend? Is there anything that you wished you knew before your trip that would've made your stay more enjoyable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We don't get to travel that often, and I would hate to be dissappointed by expectations Maho couldn't live up to.
Thanks,
J
marys

Post by marys »

If you're a camper, you should be happy with either Maho or Concordia. The people who are disappointed are the guests who expect a basic hotel room rather than a very nice campground. Yes, you do get bugs at Maho but they are not enormous. That's because there are small gaps between the wood planks that make up the tent cabin floor. At Maho, you'll see more no-seeums the closer you are to the beach, and the more sand you track into your tent cabin. While most people like to stay close to the beach, we like it much higher (in the E loop). We generally get a better breeze up there and we usually have very few bugs. Unless you're very lucky, you won't get a very good view regardless of where you stay. That's because Maho Bay Camps lets the vegetation grow naturally.

I've never stayed at Concordia, but I've visited it. It's beautiful but very remote. It has more amenities, to include private rather than shared baths. You'll definitely need a car if you stay there. You're quite a drive from the beautiful north shore beaches and either Coral Bay or Cruz Bay. The only place you can easily walk to is Salt Pond Bay.

At Maho, you don't need a car because they have a shuttle that will drop you off at the north shore beaches or take you to Cruz Bay, or you can walk to Maho Bay, Francis Bay, Cinnamon Bay and Leinster/Waterlemon Bay. In addition, there are excursions and day sails from Maho Bay. I don't think that these are offered yet at Concordia.

If you want to bring your own site and camp at a bare site, the only place you can do that is at Cinnamon Bay Campground.

Mary
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I don't have any Maho experiences, but if pitching your own tent becomes an option, I am a pro at the Cinnamon Bay baresite experience. It is certainly cheaper and the baresite side of the campground is pretty deserted in May, so you will probably get your pick of sites - by the beach or in the trees.

There are taxis at Cinnamon constantly, so you don't necessarily need a car. They have a small store and restaurant onsite, but I would say those are not as well stocked as the ones at Maho.

If it becomes an option for you, feel free to PM me with questions.
budman

Post by budman »

Hey J,

I've stayed at all three. Started years ago at Cinnamon Bay, stayed several times in their cottages, once in their tent, once at Maho and just two years ago we stayed in a Concordia eco-tent. I used to backpack alot, but now I'm a truck camper if you know what I mean, I like my coolers full of stuff instead of dehydrated pouches. Cinnamon Cottage #10 is great, it's right on the beach, but close neighbors and a short walk to the shared bath house. Cinnamon's tents were HOT, and we had close neighbors but we all got along and everyone was respectful. I would stay on a bare site before I'd stay in their canvas tents again. I can't remember the Maho unit but you will have more privacy and amenities there, the place is cool. Still have to share a bath house. It was a little warm when we were there. Concordia is my favorite. Extremely private, Private bath with shower, nice breezes, a private deck overlooking salt pond, rustic, yet functional kitchen, and they have a pool. It was pretty comfortable. Get a unit furthest from the office to take advantage of the tradewinds.
As far as bugs, they're everywhere from the McMansions to the tents, learn to get along! the trick is to put everything in a cooler or fridge and clean up your crumbs!

You'll have a blast where ever you stay!

Budman
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

As an excuse to see my ticker and give a vote for Concordia, I'll chime in: I stayed in Concordia this past winter and am there again next week. I just love it there. It's remote, civilized camping(you can have provisions stocked and massages in the tent), the view is inredible to wake up, fall asleep to, and I love the breezes and wind there. Even with some pesky mosquitos at P-18 (premium tent) after tremendous rain, I still felt it was wonderful. I'm choosing a premium tent to the far left this time (around p-13 I think), so that the wind will be stronger there and nearly guarantee no settling little mosquitoes. I love that it's remote, and that cells don't work, and there are no hints of taxis or much of the commerical world....maybe I'll see you there if you are going next week!
Lex

Post by Lex »

If you do a lot of backpacking, you'll be very comfortable at Maho. I don't really consider it camping despite the name. More like staying on a screened-in porch. . We've spent lot of time in the tropics and have dealt with some pretty impressive bugs, but I don't recall any at Maho, even in the shower/bathroom areas. Our favorite section is the A section of tents between numbers 9 to 16 or 18. Maho also has the Harmony Studios which offer the next level of comfort.

There are a lot more accomodations at Maho than at Concordia, so a lot more people are around. Most of the folks staying there are pretty pleasant. There's usually music or an educational presentation or movie in the evening. The restaurant and the store are very convenient and there are a few good snorkeling beaches in easy walking distance.

Concordia is more remote with a lot fewer accomodations. It's quieter and calmer out there.

If you're up for it, you could bring a tent and get a baresite at either Cinnamon Bay or at Vie's in the East End. Vie's is pretty primitive camping, but it's on the part of the island that development is slow in reaching. It still has a feel of the old Caribbean over there. Cinnamon Bay has many more amenities.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

I also loved Concordia. We stayed in a studio last November and will 'hopefully' be back this year.
Just a great spot and the views were wonderful.

You will have fun where ever you stay ... YOU WELL BE ON ST JOHN !!!
J420

Post by J420 »

Thanks for all the input!

I'm getting the impression that Concordia might be the way to go over Maho for our last couple of days on the island...

Out friends have recommended skipping the bare-sites at Cinnamon in favor of camping on Jost Van Dyke in the BVI.

So as of now, the itinerary looks like this:
3 nights staying with friends in Cruze Bay
3 nights with same friends camping on Jost Van Dyke
3 nights in an eco-tent at Concorida
1 night at a resort in St. Thomas before flying out the next day.

Anyone know anything about Jost Van Dyke? Any comments or advice in general? Thanks again for being willing to share your experiences... it is appreciated. -J
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Check out the TTOL BVI Forum. Lots of great info on Jost
lovethebeach

Post by lovethebeach »

We have camped at Maho on St. John and Ivan's on Jost. The cabins at Jost are more basic. Ours had only a bed, a mini frig. and a fan. You do all your cooking in a community kitchen. The beach at White Bay (where Ivan's is) is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. We always go in the summer, which is their off season, so there are few people in the early morning and late afternoon. A lot of boaters (maybe 20 in the summer) come in during the day. We are going this summer and staying at Maho (7 nights) Ivan's on Jost (3 days), Neptunes Treaure - Anegada (3 nights) and the last night on St. Thomas. Ivan does have two apartments which are very reasonable. We are paying $100 per night for the studio this summer. Enjoy your time on the islands!