5 major airlines' "solution" to high fuel prices

Travel discussion for St. John
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I weight mine too, so I'm good for the trip down - the return trip is usually the problem for me.

I broke down and bought a rolling duffle for the sailing trip, partially to address the weight issue, but mostly because it would have to be stowed on the boat. I came in way under the limit (contrary to my husband's prediction - ha!), so I think I'll be using it from now on.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Yep, you need to save that precious stowage space on the boat. I was reading over on the TTOL BVI forum that one group of 8 brought 35 cases of beer for 11 nights on the boat. I hope they were on a cat and had an ice maker.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

ccasebolt wrote:One bag apiece I can live with. What frosts me is when one of the bags weighs in 2 lbs over the 50 lb limit and you're stuck having to redistribute your items among your other bags while standing in the check-in line - isn't everything going to the same place anyway :?:
Good point. I wonder if the 50 lb. weight limit per bag is due to some regulation that airline employees/baggage handlers are not supposed to lift more than 50 lbs.? :roll:
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

i do think the 50 lb rule is related to the baggage handlers lifting.

I just flew Spirit who now charges $10 for any checked bags. Everyone had twice as much carryons--that they dont even weigh so who knows how much weight is on the plane! and boarding and unboarding takes twice as long as everyone..as everyone had carryon. IMO, this is all about them providing less serice for the same money.
Still, i will probably fly them again as their prices are hard to beat. My favorite was when the stewardness told my daughter and i we had to move back to our regular seat just prior to take off. we got a lecture on how seat assignments were made to keep the plane balanced. I am sure that I wasnt weighed prior to boarding nor was my carryon--So how could it have been balanced??
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

California Girl wrote:Good point. I wonder if the 50 lb. weight limit per bag is due to some regulation that airline employees/baggage handlers are not supposed to lift more than 50 lbs.?
No. It's all about REVENUE for the airlines. They're all scrambling to generate additional revenue to off-set the skyrocketing price of fuel.

US Airways just announced another revenue generating item. Aisle or window seats in the front rows of the coach class of US Airways flights will cost an additional $5.00 USD, following the introduction of the Choice Seat program by the low-cost airline. The program, which will be effective from May 7, 2008, will see people who book their tickets online paying the extra fee to reserve a seat of their choice. The fee will reportedly vary according to the destination or the length of the flight. The fee will not apply to members of the Dividend Miles Preferred program.

....and United is hiking the fee it charges passengers to change tickets from $100 to $150 on non-refundable tickets. United is also re-instating a Saturday night stay requirement in markets where it competes with other major carriers.

Since most of the airlines have now imposed the $50.00 fee for a second checked bag, my hunch is we'll see other airlines eventually imposing these new fees US Airways and United have announced. Ala carte flying- anything extra will cost you.

.... also, Richard Anderson the CEO of Delta said yesterday domestic airlines need to raise fares by 15 to 20 percent to keep up with rising costs.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Hubs questioned the counter agent on the weight limit (after she lectured him about a 52 bag that she let slide) and she described it as "a union thing with the handlers" but I am sure revenue plays into it.

I also think some people simply don't care and will pay the fee, like paying $4 for a cup of coffee one could make at home for pennies.

We saw a woman get charged $70 some dollars for a bag that was a few pounds over. The agent told her she could shift stuff around and she shrugged it off with a "whatever, la la, I'll pay it" attitude - not upset at all. (it looked like they were going on vacation)
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

I would find it easier to be upset with the airlines if they were raking in big profits, like maybe, the oil industry is right now???
jenrale

Post by jenrale »

Yeah, the 'extra' charges seem pretty bad, but as I reminded my wife, 25 years ago we went to FLA on our honeymoon and it cost approx $220 each, round trip. We are making plans to go back this year, 25 years later, and it's still $220 each! I cannot see how the airline can make any money at that price - nothing else I buy is the same price as it was even 10 years ago, never mind 25 years..... Jenrale
RickG

Post by RickG »

I heard two interesting things today. First, that the airline industry is currently priced at about 15% below break-even based on fuel costs. Northwest alone lost $4B first quarter. So, there's already a fare increase built-in. That tells me to buy now.

I had lunch today with a senior person from the Airline Tariff Publishing Company. These guys act as the interchange between airlines and the sales channel for fare data. This person said that his clients (the airlines) are all pushing for the capability to debundle all of their offerings. This would allow a major airline to quite all services a la carte or as specific bundles.

Imagine a scenario where the base price for an airline ticket is for electronic service only: you buy your ticket online, check-in online, print your own boarding pass and carry-on your regulation-size lugage. If you want any other options you pay for what you wish. If you pre-pay its cheaper than if you pay at the gate. Break the rules? Back of the line!

Another interesting scenario - separate carriage and fuel pricing. You could lock-in fuel price at time of carraige purchase (sort of like buying an option) or you could just pay the spot rate on the day you travel.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

RickG wrote:Imagine a scenario where the base price for an airline ticket is for electronic service only: you buy your ticket online, check-in online, print your own boarding pass and carry-on your regulation-size lugage. If you want any other options you pay for what you wish. If you pre-pay its cheaper than if you pay at the gate. Break the rules? Back of the line!
I'd actually be just fine with that scenario. I do most of that stuff already anyway.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

As many of you know, I have long traveled with just one bag as it saves time, lost baggage etc. There is no reason why a person cannot go to STJ for a couple of weeks with just a single carry-on. As for sweat....well that's why they have washer/dryers in the villas. (If not having enough clothing is an issue, I am sure RickG can show you some alternatives :D

Yes the airlines are really looking at a 15% to 25% increase in ticket prices

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ ... titialskip
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

My issue has never really been about price. Eventually (now maybe?) the airlines will run out of wiggle room thinking of s**t to charge for. I am happy to pay more if it means I can stretch my legs. I don't understand why the airlines have not raised their prices long ago. Hell, it takes way more $ in gas for me to drive to Florida than fly. Really people, how many pieces of clothing do you think I take? My gear is snorkel equipment, camera gear and food and then my clothing.
And some habits die hard-I don't just launder one shirt and one pair of shorts at a time, that is wasteful.
When will I see St John again?
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

You know, I remember exactly what we paid for our first AA tickets to STT 15 years ago last Oct. I remember because we didn't have any $$ and I came home pregnant with our last child. $525.00 It has not changed much in all these years. It's much higher if you wait until the last minute or if you travel in high season, but it really hasn't gone up that much in relationship to everything else. What has changed is the level of service. It used to be (in the olden days) fun to fly and we used to sort of dress up and look our best for our adventure. Now, who cares?? Just get me on the plane and I'll suffer through all the indignities to get there. I'll sit all shoved up next to the people around me, and I'll sit with someones head in my lap. Just get me there. I won't dare ask anything. Remember when you could ask for a magazine and they'd bring you several choices? I am really dating myself. So now when I get on a plane, I want the lowest price because I know I will NOT enjoy the flight, I will be uncomfortable, people will fart and lap over me, and I will be so glad to get off that da*n plane. I think people are so much more crude and vulgar becaue it's so hard to be anything else. We are treated like cattle and we act as such.

OK.....who is venting now? :oops:
brenda

Post by brenda »

Cypressgirl, thats too funny. I remember as a kid getting "dressed up" to fly :roll: . Remember the hot meal? Would you like beef or chicken?? There was even silverware. Oh, and smokers could smoke on the plane too. Sorry if I got a little off the topic.
Going "home" again October 26th!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

If I can find the pictures and scan them, I'll post some pictures of my folks at the airport on their way to Hawii in the 50's. My grandma and great aunt even had hats on if I remember correctly. :lol: Ok, now I have to find that pic! I'll post it next week after I get back from Jazz Fest. :D