What beach is 1st for a newbie?

Travel discussion for St. John
Dave-a-roni

What beach is 1st for a newbie?

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Hey everyone 8) . Trip #2 is in about 3 months, and we have a boat load of newbie's coming this time. What beach did you guys go to first to show the Newbie's, an into beach if you will.

We should be getting there mid day-ish, we thought about driving the island and seeing the views first, then a beach 1st thing the next day... but, what beach do you take them to 1st? My wife is a Trunk person, I'm a Cinnamon person... any 1st beach idea's?
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

Maho has the awe factor with easy access and is usually calm. My favorite.
Those lucky newbies!
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I'm a Trunk person. Trunk was the only beach we visited on our first and 2nd trips; and the first one hit on subsequent trips. I love Cinnamon, as well, but the rain always finds me there.

I think the newbies will love them all.
janet
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

As newbies we hit Hawksnest first. Everyone loved it. Next was Cinnamon and then Trunk. Each one had a little something different to offer and each one was a hit!
mia

Post by mia »

The nice thing about your question is that you really can't go wrong...no matter which beach you choose. Maho was our first...so it will always be special.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

You can't go wrong with any....and since you will get a great lookout as you are driving down the N. Shore they will be in awe.
I love Maho and I would start there and work my way back to Cruz Bay.
Is it just a beach to see, or are you snorkeling?

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I'm a Trunk person too, thought I was the only one...
Maho is great too. It depends if the people want facilities or natural beauty. But like it was already stated, you can't go wrong with any of the North Shore beaches in the summer.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Dave-a-roni (who I still owe recipes to :wink: ), our first beach was Francis. Our rental agent told us that Francis is where the most turtles are so that is where we went. (not true, in my opinion) We just could not get over the warmth and the calmness of the water. But, we spent most of our first trip at Cinnamon and Salt Pond. We loved Cinnamon for the big wide beaches and the "waves" to play in. Salt Pond for the isolation and good snorkeling.

Anywhere you go, your friends are going to be impressed. Every beach is special, for a different reason. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Since you're going to do a scenic drive first, why don't you decide as you go along and that evening discuss what everyone's favorite was when they saw it from the road? I think if it were me, I'd want to go to Trunk first, after seeing it from the overlook. That view is so impressive! Plus, there are amenities there for the newbies' first beach experience. Go early in the day, then when the cruisers show up, you can go to a different beach, possibly Maho, where it's less developed and more natural. I think that would ease them into island time rather nicely. 8)
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

We went to Trunk first, but we made sure it wasn't a cruise ship day before we did it.

Cinnamon is also good for newbies, but it's such a trek to get out there.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

I pick Hawksnest for the first. Would say Salomon but its a hike out to it. No I take Salomon back I don't want to share it :D :D :D
Chet

Post by Chet »

I agree - first timer's should go to Trunk, Cinnamon, Hawksnest. Then Francis, and end with the simplicity of Maho. That should set the STJ hook.

Subsequent trips are needed to explore Honeymoon, Salomon, Jumbie, Lameshur, and Vie's. Then it takes several more years to appreciate the more obscure beaches.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I forgot to mention before that Hawksnest was our first, for no particular reason. We loved it and thought it was nice looking beach... like trunk. We will probably do either one of these, but who knows when we get there. I've never been to Maho, we drove by it about 50 times before, so I'm so curious about it. So, that said, Cali GIrls suggestion may work too (about trunk then Maho) A few of you mentioned Maho straight out, And I agree about the awe factor and easy access :)

Jeez, your all right, you can't really go wrong!

Liamsaunt, yes we will exchange recipies when we can :wink: . I agree about the turtles, we heard nothing but turtle hype for francis before our 1st trip (honeymoon)... and didn't see a single one when we got there. It was so deflating, did anyone else have this happen to them too?
Also I personaly also LOVED saltpond (not my wife), but it's not very "beachy" persay and newbies may be scared of the coral pebble beach.

I love Cinnamon. I personally thought it was a kick a$$ beach, beautiful and the rock out there was crawling with sea life.

So many 1st choices 8) It's look'in like Maho... Thanks everyone.
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
larlardb8

Post by larlardb8 »

Just took a newbie and we headed to Trunk first. The swells were pretty high when we were there so we headed over to Salt Pond. But for some reason my first inclination was Trunk for him to see...

Although we have found our favorite...Maho!
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

On our first day we loved being at trunk while we learned to snorkel cautiously and also being able to grab a burger in paradise was a plus since we were rookies! I'll never forget the view from that little picnic table down to the right where the leaning palm is in everyone's pictures!!! Trunk gets my vote.

As far as the search for Turtles... the sea grass beds off Caneel resort were fun for us because we swam with two large turtles there while we watched a group of seven rays moving along the bottom of the deep water. Big fun!
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."