trip report day 1

Travel discussion for St. John
toni

trip report day 1

Post by toni »

Wow, it's been a whole week since we got back-time is sure flying with Christmas around the corner! I write long reports, so hope you find something interesting!

Ok, little background info, husband and I are early 40's, this is our 4th trip to STJ, have previously stayed at Gallows, Concordia Studios and Sago Cottage.

I spend hours planning trips; to me it's definitely 1/2 the fun of going; I get to do countdowns, choose the right flights, read all the forums and reviews and pick the right place to stay-it's cathartic to plan a vacation when I come home after stressing at work. :D
I totally LOVE the planning stages.

Our trip was Dec 2-10th. Friday the 1st, the boss can tell I'm antsy and sends me home at noon-the first sign of a great trip! Hubby Mike and I hit the grocery store-all 3 previous stays we had kitchens but never brought food; this time we thought we'd bring junk stuff so went to the grocery store to stock up. Had another positive sign there -found $5 on the floor of the grocery and nobody around to give it to-felt like I was on candid camera and somebody would pop out and ask me what I did with the money.
Weather in Buffalo had been really warm all week (for this time of year) but a cold front was moving in just that night, and we had a few worries about our early flight so it was a restless night.

I admire the people who say they can make it with only carry on-I've yet to be one of you, and this trip it wasn't going to happen either. We had 2 checked bags-one for clothes, etc. and one for food. Carried on my camera bag and purse and that was it. Flight via Charlotte on USAIR-yet another good sign-if you're familiar with Jamba Juice, there's one in the Charlotte airport. We were introduced to them out in Denver and I absolutely them them-plus they're great to take on a plane. :) I was very psyched!

On time to STT, as we were landing I used the digital to do like the youtube video-we were on the side of the plane where you can't see land, just that you're getting closer and closer to the water! Let's hear it for leaving 32 degree temps and arriving in 85 degree weather!

We had made arrangements to stay at the Crystal Palace based on reviews from this board and elsewhere. We've stayed before at the Green Iguana and Holiday Inn, would recommend both of them, but wanted someplace different. One of the perks of staying at the Crystal Palace is that you get picked up from the airport. I'd emailed Ronnie that our flight landed at 4 and he'd emailed back that he'd be there with a sign. No idea what he looked like, so while Mike got the luggage (and I got the rum punches) I looked all over for a man with a sign. No luck. We drank our punches and got some more, still no sign. Mike said, remember, island time, ok, I'll chill out. Well, I waited about 20 minutes and said, enough of island time, it's phone call time. I luckily got Ronnie; he was at the Home Depot and had forgotten about us but would come get us now. Well, things happen, remember island time!

He arrives, nice man, gets us to the b/b-it's really got a great view; we'd reserved a room with private bathroom-nice bedroom-4 poster bed, huge old style bathroom-probably twice the size of a regular bathroom today. Great views of the harbor, nice patio area on both floors. Along with the ever present island kitties, he had a dog too. Part of the room price too is a welcome drink, and breakfast is also included. He told us about the yacht in the new harbor area, belongs to the head of Oracle-huge boat-2nd longest private yacht in the world? Something like that. Recommended that we try Cuzzins for dinner -Caribbean/West Indian food-down the hill a couple blocks from the Palace. Yummy! Started the weeks drinking of rum concoctions :lol:

Back up the STEEP hill to his place, and hit the sack-after first checking our luggage and seeing one of the TSA slips in the checked food bag-that it'd been carefully examined. Probably the brownie mixes had set off something :D

End of day 1...
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Can't wait to hear more.

Isn't Ronnie great?
FrankG

Post by FrankG »

Great report, Toni. Keep 'em coming. I do all the planning, too. We, (group of 9) are going June 30th and are staying at the Crystal Palace the first night, also, before checking into our villa on STJ. Can't wait! 8)
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

You’re off to a good start. Anytime the boss lets you off early – is always a good sign. Bring on the rest – I still have 137 days to go.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Toni,

Have been anxiously awaiting your trip report! Was sorry we didn't get to see you guys while on Island.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Crystal Palace, we almost stayed there for a night on the way home this past trip.

Looking forward to hearing about your time on STJ!!

Jan (akaCharlie)