#1 Snorkel Spot

Travel discussion for St. John
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I had a lot of fun at Caneel Beach, to the left. Go under the dock and follow the coast line. Lots to see.

Sandy
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The reef between Genti Bay out towards the Fish Bay point is the most spectacular and healthy coral I have found in STJ. It can be accessed from the Reef Bay trail or any of the paths that come down from the houses that are past Fish Bay and face out to Rams Head. With the BIG North swell coming this week anywhere on the South side will be clear, and safer than the N.shore spots.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Chocolate Hole, out past the turtle grass.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Not familiar with"Blue Cobblestone". Where would that be located?
Lex

Post by Lex »

We always get to Haulover at least once every trip. Good snorkeling, but it's a rock and coral beach, so to hang out we keep going into the East End to Vie's.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Susan, Blue Cobblestone is the rocky beach off the Ram Head Trail.

I saw your earlier post in which you said that you don't consider yourself to be a strong swimmer. Given that, I don't think I would recommend Blue Cobblestone for you. You have to swim out a ways to get to the good stuff, and once you are out, even though you are by cliffs, there is no good place to get out of the water without going all the way back to where you started.

Maho is a good place to find a turtle pretty close to the shore. Just sit on the beach and watch for their heads to pop up, then swim over there! We've also found small turtles at Trunk Bay the last couple of times we swam out by the Cay--on both sides. One final thought for turtles--try Little Lameshur--where the rocks stock out of the water. It's not too far out from shore and the water is usually calm there.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

Where is Blue Cobblestone?
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Thanks for the info. liamsaunt,

Hopefully I will get to see my turtle in May!
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Exit Zero - Can you give me some more information on the "BIG North swell coming this week"?? We're arriving tomorrow and not renting a Jeep on this trip.
Thanks!

X-I like the "point" between Honeymoon and Solomon. Not as dramatic as Waterlemon, but beautiful beaches and nice snorkeling. We've seen Jewel Damselfish here (sp?)
Last edited by KatieH on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Thanks for the info. liamsaunt,

Hopefully I will get to see my turtle in May!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

KatieH -- use: wunderground.com --type in zip code 00801 -check advisories and warnings, predicted 20-24 ft waves onshore
:weathercarib.com
:google --bouy 41043 ---for real data and graphs of coming swell and
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Susan and Herb Hawksnest would be a perfect snorkel for you the reef comes right to shore probably about the easiest snorkel there is. Last weeks TGIF pic shows it at the shorline no need to enter there just enter from the sandy beach to the right and hit it from the side. If its nice and calm I love to go really shallow and take my time to see the stuff you miss when in deeper water. I don't use fins so I can go really shallow without touching the coral. If ya get the courage follow the reef to the end that is were the awesome elkhorn are you'll also see tons of fish. Got the closest ever to a turtle there, could have touched him. Although it's not a high percentage beach to see turtles like Maho or Francis. Actually I've seen a turtle at every beach on the North Shore but Jumbie. But I'm in the water snorkeling as much as I am on land while in St John. Give it a try if ya haven't allready I think you will enjoy it. Also agree with katie h that point between Honeymoon and Salomon is a great snorkel but ya do have too hike to it.
jmq

Post by jmq »

These wind and wave reports are for nearby BVIs

Big swells noted in this report
http://magicseaweed.com/Cane-Garden-Bay ... eport/480/

Note wave height on this one given in meters. Surfs up!
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/beef_isl_tortola

Should be some decent wave action on STJ north shore over next couple of days.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

liamsaunt,

Can I ask you more questions about Blue Cobblestone? Do you swim on the right side of the bay around the cliff? How far do you have to go out to get to the good stuff - out to the point or further around it? Are there currents in the area? If one is an average swimmer, do you think he/she will have any problems there?

Actually my problem is not really about swimming - it's s just that I get cold in the water after about an hour or so of snorkeling. I normally last 1hr 30-45 min (never 2 hrs) in the water and after that my hands get numb and I start to tremble, which is frustrating because I'm not tired yet.