Daysail?

Travel discussion for St. John
gavinman

Daysail?

Post by gavinman »

I have searched on this forum and am kind of overwhelmed with daysail options.

Everyone raves about Captain Phil on Wayward Sailor. Here are my cons on that trip. We want to do a full day trip and don't like his lunch option. The trip will be for three of us and two of us don't like sea food. Plus my wife and her friend are teachers and really don't want to be lectured to. So we are kind of leaning away from that.

Long Distance and White Wing won't be sailing when we go in June, so those are out. So the most recommended seem to be out.

I was looking at Cloud 9. We all can agree on the lunch and agree with the open bar! It looks like he doesn't have much info on snorkeling. I'm thinking he just stops and sends people on their own to snorkel.

Any other suggestions. My wife may not even snorkel she may just hang out on the boat. She is not a big swimmer. We are looking at a full day and was considering a charter but may not charter to save a little money.

Has anyone been on Cloud 9 recently, the other one we are looking at are Survivan and Long Distance. Although Wayward Sailor seems to get the overwhelming recommendations for daysails.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We did a daysail with Capt Phil and I pretty much agree with your summary based on what you are looking for. I can highly recommend Joan and Gary of Bread on the Water, the only problem is I am not sure they sail in June either. They were OUTSTANDING hosts, great boat, very comfy for anyone who just wants to hang back and not snorkel.

Their site http://www.sailbreadonthewater.com/

Gary was very quick to respond to my questions when setting up our day sail.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Flip - I remember you raving about Bread On The Water in your trip report. We went out with Capt. Phil, and where we loved him, we were looking to be lectured about the local flora & fauna, so I understand your aversion to going with him. On the other hand have you checked out Breath? http://sailbreath.com/

Personally, I think the next time, I'd have to seriously consider Bread On The Water.
gavinman

Post by gavinman »

Jorge wrote:Gavinman,
Without pissing you off, you sound like you have a pretty picky group... With that being said I am told that I am the pickiest #astard around. We always take Stormey Petrol or Pirates Penny out and they have never disappointed me one time.
No offense taken. That's what I was trying to say without saying that directly. I guess I should be more blunt.

I have emailed Bread on the Water but they never wrote back. I actually emailed them twice, maybe I should call.

Picky eaters, non swimmers, drinkers, non-drinkers....

Like you say, he who has the gold makes the rules, that's why I was considering a charter.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Yeah CAGirl. I actually liked Phil ok, but it just wasn't a 100% laid back experience. Also his boat is tight for 6 people + crew.

I really want to try White Wing as well, based on VickiH and others raves but he's not been sailing when I have been on island. I think we're gonna face the same trouble next time as it will be June. :(

Gavinman - Sorry to hear he hasn't gotten back to you. That's an easy way to miss out on business. Perhaps they are just having a very busy season :)
augie

Post by augie »

My wife and I went with Capt. Pat on the Ike Witt a couple of years ago.

He has a great old restored sailboat, is very laid back, and loves to get in the water with the snorkelers to help them find the sea life.

Lunch is a fresh fruit plate followed by homemade caesar salad with grilled chicken.

Open bar - he'll ask you ahead of time wif you have special requests, but he makes a mean rum punch!

Max on the boat is six passengers, when we went it was in October and it was just us and another couple.

Only catch is he usually sails out of the Yacht harbor at Red Hook, but he may be willing to pick you up in STJ if you're doing a full day.

PM me if you'd like more info.
Come see us!
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

You may want to go with Captain Joe on the Scubadu. He is a great chef and has alternate options besides fish. He will go where ever you want to go. (stay around St. John, go to Jost Van Dyke, etc.I highly recommend it! My husband and I always make sure when we go down to the USVIs, to make a special day sail with Joe. Its always a highlight of our trip!!

His website: www.sailvi.com
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

I can give you the benefit of my mistakes when we scheduled a day sail...

I emailed her ahead of time but actually booked after we arrived in st john. I was clear that we were staying on st john for the first time and would like to snorkel at some of the harder to reach areas that we weren't familiar with yet like waterlemon cay or something out of the ordinary that we could easily access from the st john north shore beaches. I thought I was clear and she agreed, but I guess we had NEWBIE written all over us so she didn't think we'd know the difference. We took the ferry over to meet her in Red Hook, not a big deal but then we sailed slowly, SLOWLY back across to st john to anchor right off Caneel for snorkeling and lunch. I ask her if we would be going to Waterlemon or anywhere else and she said that it was too far. I decided to just enjoy my day the way it was but seriously, how disappointed do you think we were to have spent money to go somewhere we could have taken a taxi to from the Gallow's where we were staying?

So be VERY SPECIFIC with your requests and have them confirm your destination in advance. We will be smarter next time if we ever bother to try again... the snorkeling is so easy anywhere on st john, even waterlemon, that unless we were going to another island, I wouldn't go.
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
cruiserkcs

Survivan

Post by cruiserkcs »

We went on Survivan with Capt. Jason & loved it. I highly recommend him.
sjdck

Post by sjdck »

I second the Scubadu suggestion. Our family of 8 adults had a wonderful day trip with them! The menu choices were great, and they were more than willing to adjust the schedule as we wanted. It was a nice change for us to have just our family on board, in the past we've done several of the popular charters to Jost, the Baths, etc. This was a very relaxing, enjoyable day for all of us!
mdcoles1

daysail

Post by mdcoles1 »

My husband and I did this one in November. Great day & boat. You have to bring your own lunch, but this is a great deal!

If you want to contact him, call....doesnt seem to respond to email. Tell him his friends from MI said hi and we will see him in 3 weeks.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/sailing/
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I was under the impression Scubadu was limited to 6 passengers , perhaps if we are going to the BVI those rules don't apply. How many does it seem to take comfortably?
boston buffett guy

Post by boston buffett guy »

Cruiserkcs - I'd love to hear more about why you enjoyed Survivan. On my last trip, I had booked a day sail to JVD on Survivan, but the sail was cancelled because of a passing storm. (I drowned my sorrows in Painkillers at Skinny Legs.) I'm considering my options for my trip in June and need to decide whether to try Survivan again. I'm a "baby" sailor and am especially interested in whether the Capt. allowed guests to help with the sailing.

I was also considering Long Distance. It sounds like the owners are away in June. Do I have this right?

Thanks.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Exit Zero wrote:I was under the impression Scubadu was limited to 6 passengers , perhaps if we are going to the BVI those rules don't apply. How many does it seem to take comfortably?
I believe Joe on the Scubadu takes up to 6, but I know his catamaran has the capacity to hold more. You may want to send him an email directly to see what he can do. svscubadu@hotmail.com So worth it!!