Hawk's Nest Villa??

Travel discussion for St. John
DuxDweller

Hawk's Nest Villa??

Post by DuxDweller »

Anyone ever stay here?? Looking at next winter . . .
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

That's the one that was featured in Architectural Digest (see http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/vault/ ... 1&req=full).

It looks AMAZING. I would stay there in a heartbeat if I had a lot of money.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Flip Flop,

The one in AD was Hawksview Estate - here is the link to Hawksnest :)

Pia

http://stjohnrentavilla.com/hawksnest.html
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Wow, thanks Pia. That one looks great too and much more affordable!
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Looking up at it from Hawksnest beach, I often thought about staying there. What a view!

However, I wonder what its like inside (temp-wise) when the afternoon sun starts getting low in the sky.
bamaggie

Post by bamaggie »

My wife and I stayed at Hawksnest Villa in May 2006. The view was amazing. You can see out over Hawksnest Bay, over the Caneel Resort and to St. Thomas.

The villa has large archways with slatted doors that roll-up on the main living area. When you open the doors, the main living area and kitchen are open air with no screens. There were some bugs at night (attracted to inside lights), so after sunset we would usually end-up closing the doors. The bugs bothered my wife, but were not enough to bother me.

The villa did get warm in the afternoon on a couple of days with no clouds. It has has a small pool that we used frequently in the afternoon to stay cool. We pulled the lounge chairs off the pool deck to inside the house to be in the shade and would go dip in the pool every 15 minutes or so.

A couple of pics from the villa of the view are below:
[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~bamaggie/id2.html[/img]
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Bamaggie - Thanks for the response. I found that my family spends most of the days out at the beaches/trails exploring and snorkeling. The villa gets its best use (by me anyway) from about 4 in the afternoon through a late night dinner outside. Was there a breeze through the villa or was it pretty still? We were at Vistaero last month (high up over Rendezvous on the South Shore) and the wind up there kept it cool and pretty bug-free. We did have some biting "flies" and possibly "no-seeums." No mosquitos.

Was there A/C? How as the location??

Thanks!!
bamaggie

Post by bamaggie »

DuxDweller - Glad you found my response helpful.

The villa does not have AC, but we found it generally pleasant other than the middle of the afternoons I mentioned. If you stay on the beach until about 4, that probably isn't much of an issue. The early evening and sunsets from the deck were absolutely spectacular. Great place to have a drink and enjoy some music.

We've stayed in the Ajax Peak and Calabash Boom areas before and the wind at Hawksnest was much less than those areas because the exposure to the South & East is minimal. I didn't note the lack of a breeze to be an issue though.

The location of the villa is hard to beat. The road to the villa comes off the Northshore Road between Easter Rock and Jumbie Beach. It's about a minute from Gibney Beach, 2 minutes from Hawksnest, and maybe 5 minutes to Trunk. Those are some of our favorites, so it was great to be so close. We even hiked down to Denis Bay one afternoon but didn't stick around long because of large waves that were coming in from the north.
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Love this site! Did you walk down to Hawksnest? Is that do-able for the kids? (8 and up?)
bamaggie

Post by bamaggie »

We did not walk down to Hawksnest or Gibney because of safety concerns. You would have to walk along Northshore road for about 1/4 of a mile in a section with a cliff going up on one side and a cliff going down on the other and with no shoulders. If two cars came along and you were walking in the road, the outcome might not be so good! :shock:

If safety were not a concern, I think the kids could physically do the walk down to the beach, although the walk back-up would be pretty tough. The house is about 300 feet above sea level.