Childhood favorites/recipes?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Childhood food memories:

Peanut butter and banana sandwich (with mayo) on white bread

Grilled peanut butter and bacon sandwich

Onion dip sandwich (crappy onion dip from a container slathered on toast)

Fluffer-nutter and peanut butter sandwich (on white bread)

Welsh Rerbet (sp?) Cheesy goo on ritz crackers

Spaghetti with meat sauce and a fried egg on top

Cream cheese and green olives sandwich on white toast

Brown cow: Coke with a scoop of ice cream in it...be careful, it goes over the edge if you put the ice cream in after the coke
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
LC

Post by LC »

A slightly odd, but fabulous, childhood favorie: Barbecups!!! My mom would take canned biscuits and line muffin cups. Then brown ground beef, mix barbecue sauce in, then put the mixture inside the biscuit/muffin tin. Bake until biscuit part is done, top with cheese. I remembered these about 2 months ago and made them at home...my husband raved about them! :lol: Not fine cuisine, but simple feel good kid food.

Another favorite: Chicken and Dumplings. I've never touched any that taste like my mom's, so pretty much refuse to eat them unless she's cooking - otherwise I'll just be disappointed. :?
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Childhood food memories:

Peanut butter and banana sandwich (with mayo) on white bread

Grilled peanut butter and bacon sandwich

Onion dip sandwich (crappy onion dip from a container slathered on toast)

Fluffer-nutter and peanut butter sandwich (on white bread)

Welsh Rerbet (sp?) Cheesy goo on ritz crackers

Spaghetti with meat sauce and a fried egg on top

Cream cheese and green olives sandwich on white toast

Brown cow: Coke with a scoop of ice cream in it...be careful, it goes over the edge if you put the ice cream in after the coke
That explains a lot. No wonder you're not fazed by gyros at 3:00 a.m...that's nothing compared to what you ate as a child.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

yeah for frozen cool whip! had it on a hot chocolate just yesterday :)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

open faced sandwiches ham, onion and chedder cheese run thru a old grinder put on hamberger buns and put under the broiler til crispy. Now I will have to make these.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

LC wrote:A slightly odd, but fabulous, childhood favorie: Barbecups!!! My mom would take canned biscuits and line muffin cups. Then brown ground beef, mix barbecue sauce in, then put the mixture inside the biscuit/muffin tin. Bake until biscuit part is done, top with cheese. I remembered these about 2 months ago and made them at home...my husband raved about them! :lol: Not fine cuisine, but simple feel good kid food.
OMG - this sounds like the perfect Sunday afternoon snack! I am definately going to try it.
LC

Post by LC »

PA Girl - let me know how you like 'em!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

MB quote:
After talking about it yesterday, had to make the oatmeal with PB this morning. Crunchy PB today. YUM!

Did you ever try peanut butter in chocolate Malt-O-Meal?
It's kind of like a Reese's for breakfast.
I craved this when I was pregnant. :D
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

My mom is a great cook. My childhood favorites:

slippery bean pot-pie (homemade noodles, broth and navy beans)

cold meat loaf sandwiches (white bread & ketchup)

buttered toast dipped into hot chocolate

roast beef with mashed taters and gravy

french fries with vinegar

My grandma's baked apples...she'd peel and core the apple, slice in half, cover with a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup and water and bake. A few minutes before removing from the oven, she'd add a big marshmallow to each apple.

I too am a Potato Candy freak...love the stuff.

My husband fondly remembers omelets smeared with peanut butter (o.k., he's from Jersey!)

It cracks me up that the most gourmet cook on this forum was a super picky eater....Liamsaunt!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Jamestown wrote:It cracks me up that the most gourmet cook on this forum was a super picky eater....Liamsaunt!
I prefer to think of it as being a "discerning" eater. :P
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Marcia-I forgot about fluffer-nutter sandwiches. Those were a huge fave when we were kids.

I make the barbecups except I use shredded beef these days. Great for picky eaters!

I love baked apples and I'm thinking adding a marshmallow to them sounds pretty good!

I'm wondering if anyone fed their kids the same things? We don't have kids yet, but I'm afraid a ton of the kids I nannied for in college will only remember kraft macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, pop tarts and lunchables!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Nic in KC wrote:I'm wondering if anyone fed their kids the same things? We don't have kids yet, but I'm afraid a ton of the kids I nannied for in college will only remember kraft macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, pop tarts and lunchables!
Yes and no.

We have a nearly two and half year old and he eats whatever we eat (meaning I will not cook kid-friendly food especially for him) so he definately gets to experience some of the "good stuff."

He can eat his body weight in deer bologna and Middleswarth potato chips (another regional treat) and his father is already coverting him to "dippy" and soft boiled eggs.

I will not, however, subject him to the boil-in-bag pressed turkey rounds or the Sunday steak and salad torture!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Fishsticks with A1 sauce. To this day one of my favorite go to foods when nothing else is working for me :) My husband made them for me the other night when I had a wicked cold and hadn't eaten for about 36 hours.

Some yummy Kraft mac n cheese works nicely too.

Something we called po (as in poor) people's food. Basically browned hamburger with gravy over either bread or mashed potatoes.

Lots of steak'ums.

Gramma's fried bread - basically homemade dough, fried in grease with a pat of butter on top OMG heavenly.

Pot roast - the carrots were my favorite part.

Fried pork chops

Fried chicken

Are we sensing a theme?

I try to eat healhier now, but man just typing this list is making my mouth water.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

for all the x military how about S.O.S.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Grandma's meatballs right out of the cast iron frying pan. So hot you had to bounce them hand to hand until you could take that first, crunchy, incredibly delicious bite!!!! She would only give you one though... then she would shoo us out of the kitchen.