Another Newbie needing Advice !!

Travel discussion for St. John
spoodle

Another Newbie needing Advice !!

Post by spoodle »

My husband and I are planning a trip to St. John this year (no date yet). From my research, I think Caneel Bay is one of the best places to stay because you're right on the beach. Any other suggestions for places to stay that are on the beach (not interested in the Westin) that are pretty decent. This is our 30th anniversary. Is there something that is walking distance to beach and to the shops/bars? We really like Caneel, but it is kind of pricey. We would like to spend some of our days island hopping on a boat also. guess I'm looking for a great place that doesn't cost a lot, but is convenient to beaches and restaurants/bars. any help would be appreciated!!
“It’s hard for me to put into words why I like the beach so much. Everything about it is renewing for me, almost like therapy...Beach Therapy !!!”
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

You're not really going to find that on STJ. Caneel is definitely a better bet than the Westin...the beach at the Westin isn't great, but the Caneel beaches are awesome. Most of the island of STJ is national park so it hasn't been built up and there isn't much along the sandy beaches (which is why most of us like it :))...there are a few villas you can rent near rocky beaches.

If you want to be right on a nice sandy beach and don't want to camp, then Caneel or the Gibney Beach cottages are really your only options (but neither are near restaurants/shopping):

http://www.gibneybeachvillas.com/
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Check out Carnival Beach House thru Caribbean Villas. Affordable, right on the beach (but there are so many other beaches you will want to visit)and it has a nifty pool. You will need a car to get to the bars/shops and restaurants, etc.
I have no experience with Caneel but Im sure it's lovely.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Look at some villas to use for your base camp. you can visit a diferent beach each day. for first timers I like the cruz bay chocolate hole area.
theoverman

Post by theoverman »

i think you are underestimating st.john...a day trip to jost or norman isle is cool but when you're already on the nicest island anywhere 'island hopping' is not necessary...chill to island time, and enjoy the island, and each other. next year go to tortola...i think lots of people try to do too much and miss out on lots more.

for my money rent a nice villa with a view and a jeep.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

It all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.

STJ has amazing beaches and you can spend 2 weeks exploring the island and still not see everything.

It is fun to take a day trip to another island but most STJ visitors limit it to one day and spend the rest of their time on the beautiful beaches.

Most of us will tell you that renting a car and a private villa is the way to go. It gives you freedom to explore.

It is all what you want and how you like to vacation.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I definitely recommend a villa first but if you don't want a villa and want to be closer to town, check out Gallows Point or Estate Lindholm.

nothintolose
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

spoodle-
As X said it depends on what you are looking from your vacation.
Most around here will recommend the villa/Jeep plan.
Your options are:
Caneel bay- if you can afford it, great, it's a beautiful place to stay and sun but I would still rent a Jeep aleast for a couple of day to explore. I would also either drive or take a taxi to town for meals,it will usually be cheaper and better in my opinion plus you get variety.
Gallows Point-close to town (walkable), nice units, pool but it only has a very small beach with a rocky water entry and you will need jeep or taxi to get to the beaches.
Villa- hundreds to choose from with all kinds of amenties such as a beautiful view, pool, hottub,and of course privacy. You will definitely need to rent a Jeep and drive where ever you go though.
I have done all three of these options and in my experience, Caneel worked best for me on my first trip.
They meet you right at the airport and you go over to St. John on their private ferry (rum punch served).
They have seven of their own beaches and it is a beautiful,QUIET and relaxing place especially since this is for your anniversary. We still rented a Jeep for three of the seven days and explored the island, on the other days we ate at the bar for lunch and at night we took a taxi to town for dinner.
Caneel was my first trip and since then we have done
Gallows(X3) and villa rentals(X9) but we go more for the island than the accommodations.
However you choose to go, you will love St. John, especially if your not afraid to go explore and meet friendly people all around the island.
Good Luck
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Traveller22’s advice is great and as a Caneel repeater and a 4x villa renter, I will throw in my two cents.

I prefer the beach to a pool any day of the week so Caneel trips were worth every penny. We are early risers and spent all day enjoying the grounds and the beaches. We felt we always got our money’s worth because we made the most of each trip.

Looking back at our receipts and trip notes, cost was pretty much even up between villa and Caneel trips because we do more running around spending when at a villa (lunches, shopping, pre- and post- dinner drinking) but that is just us. Everyone spends differently.

We did rent a Jeep at Caneel and explored each day on our first (and later) trips. Sometimes had a Jeep all week, sometimes part of the week. After the first trip, we ate more meals in town than on the resort. (The exception being breakfast)

I loved the villa trips too, but for different reasons. When renting a villa, we have always traveled with friends and family so that alone made it a different trip.

I think Caneel is an easier vacation. What sticks out most in my mind as the only potential negative to or villa trips is the driving, which can be a pleasure or pain depending on your point of view.