Trip report Part 4 The people beach

Travel discussion for St. John
NoWorriesMom

Trip report Part 4 The people beach

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Day 5 and 6
On this morning the boys are grumpy (they are 12 and 8 and hi to California girl!). We hope they aren’t coming down with something. Decide to go to Cinnamon so they can rent boogie boards and have a bit of fun in the waves. We park at Cinnamon and I’m immediately a little bummed because it is so developed there and not like the remote unspoiled beaches I love, but I suck it up for the kids. Well, we wind up having another great day! The boards are fun in the waves, the snorkeling around the cay is good and husband gets to see a shark. I’m jealous cause I missed it. Before anyone freaks, it was a small shark and it swam away from him pretty fast! He said it was brownish and had a scar across its snout, if that’s what sharks have?

Even though there were too many people at Cinnamon, it was kind of fun to people watch! On our right was a family with an adorable baby and a little girl. The little girl walked out of the water with what appeared to be a load in her pants. Sand! Her family laughed as she waddled about looking cutely ridiculous. There was a family with very bratty kids on our right, and that’s always entertaining! Then there was the muscle man with tattoos and a very dark tan. His group was laughing loud and hard; must have been a very early happy hour! So it was fun, but I more enjoy focusing on the water, the sky, and the surrounding islands. People are too diverting!

We leave around 3:30 when the sun feels like it is kicking the sunscreen’s arse. Home for a shower and out for dinner. Requisite smoothie stop and we drive to the end of route 10. What a rollercoaster blast of a road that is and oh the views! We see Vie’s and make a note of the hours. Turn around and then head out the other road, winding up at Shipwreck Landing for dinner. Man was that a good dinner! I tried a bushwacker and am now a fan. Their caesar salad is YUMMY. Two of us had the fish and chips (highly recommend that!) and oldest son had the Coral Bay platter (wouldn’t suggest that one, too much fried stuff and a not yummy asian coleslaw that was too heavy on the sesame oil). For the hubby, shrimp scampi: a bit heavy on the garlic, raw tasting garlic, won’t be kissing him for a while, ok, a while means twenty minutes :D Total meal price (with one key lime pie piece to split because we were stuffed but you just gotta have dessert right?) was $140.

Lilly’s market again, SMALL box of cereal was $7.29. Husband is starting to wig a little, make a mental note to have him drink more. :wink: Home for, you know it, a dip in Francis Bay and then it is bed time except for a few minutes of Larry the Cable Guy which is a dvd in the villa’s collection. Had never heard of him before and man did we laugh!

Next day, breakfast on the patio after waking before 6 am. I love how the gauzy curtains in the master bedroom are transparent in the dawn light so if I crack open one eye and I can’t see outside it’s still time to snooze, but if I can see Mary Point and all that green, green, green then it’s time to get up! I suggest that we hike to Brown Bay and you’d think I said the Appalachian Trail. Our backup plan is again Francis Bay and oh what a backup plan! The underwater zoo was in rare form. The water was much clearer and we saw many great things. One was a big, flat-as-a-pancake fish under a coral rock that was brilliantly blue and yellow. Sorry, no idea on the names of things, some kind of flounder maybe? It was about the size of a dinner platter, was lying still on the sand, and I couldn’t get over how well camouflaged it was given that it had such vibrant colors! We’re not big picture takers but we got one of that for sure and if it comes out I’ll post it.

Youngest son is feeling down (he’s sick now that we’re home and I’m glad he made it through the trip before whatever he’s got was full blown). He and I hit the villa, shower (he beats me every time and is proud of himself that he uses so little water), and then we abuse the rental car all the way back to Vie’s. She’s open, hooray! There are audible groans from the people in line behind us when Vie says we get the last of her garlic chicken. For those of you who have never been, the garlic chicken is a fried chicken with just the best garlicy crispy crust ever! Vie says to go see her beach, it will be a while, so we cool our feet and talk with a woman whose husband was one of the line groaners but we don't tell her that, why spoil her swim. They lived on St. John for 15 years and were back for a visit. Her husband was part of the group that started the Coral Bay Thanksgiving regatta. She had fun anecdotes to share about island life and before you know it our food was ready.

Back on the wild road but we slow way down through Coral Bay because it is VI Election Day and people are all over the place. Anybody know much about who won? At home we share the loot with the other guys and, paired with a big salad from home, it was super good. The next morning we’ve decided to try Trunk by getting there early. Another crowded type of beach but it turns out to have surprisingly nice snorkeling and certainly is pretty. I was sometimes looking with wistful eyes across the water to Jumbie beach but lucky for me we would hit Jumbie and other not-so-many-people-beaches on our dinghy day!

Hey Liamsaunt: I’d do a review of Villa Serenity but there is a comprehensive one already posted that tells it all. If there is anything else you want to know message me. Also good luck seeing an octopus, I think when I saw one it was sheer luck. Maybe someone has and idea for you, night snorkeling perhaps?

With the time difference from the trip still in effect, we managed to sleep in until 5:30 this morning, which beats 4:00 am any day! Weather is snowy with a high of 15 degrees.
SuefromMA

Love your reports!

Post by SuefromMA »

Just had to tell you how much I am enjoying your trip reports!

(I am at work - sshhh) - and you started my day with a smile! Don't you just LOVE Francis!! We discovered it last year and are counting the days til our return in April!

As I read your reports, I feel that I am "in the moment" with you and your lucky family.

You have brought me back to Francis, Cinnamon, Truck & Vie's for a few moments - and I just had to say a heartfelt - THANX!!!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

I’m loving it – pleazzzzzzz keep it coming.

OK – First a barracuda that chases you down the beach. And now a shark “He said it was brownish and had a scar across its snout, if that’s what sharks have? “. OK – I want that same herbal insert that you put into your snorkel. The shark sounds like it was a nurse shark from the color – as for the scar – maybe it stuck its nose where it didn’t belong.

Thanks for another great installment.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
jac w

Post by jac w »

Great report!! I look for it first thing every morning - ok so I should be doing legal work, but the clients love that I'm always cheerful and mellow (a little Marley during the commmute also helps) - so I think of this as part of my job.

Keep up the good work - mine and the clients sanity need you.

jac
wontongirl

too funny

Post by wontongirl »

I'm really enjoying your report. I wish we had gotten over to Vie's for some of that chicken. It sounds heavenly. Francis is my favorite also. There always seems to be more pelicans there and I love to watch them get their lunch!
Hurry up and throw us another installment.
Mark

Post by Mark »

We were at Cinnamon the same day,I spoke with the folks you mentioned and the Muscle Guy and his girl friend got married the next day at Hawksnest at 4PM. This was my first time at Cinnamon and we enjoyed it but our favorite is Francis.Your son in not alone I got a cold on Tuesday and by Friday it settled in my chest.Coughed the whole flight home, never had so many people offer cough drops before.I guess I sounded scary.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Thanks for another great installment! I am enjoying every word - sure beats looking out on this gloomy Wisconsin day as we await the dropping temperatures and snow....!

Hey - did nayone else notice that Mark - who posted above, hasn't started with his trip report yet? Just a friendly hint!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Mark

Post by Mark »

I dont remember much after leaving the duty free liquor store (ha ha).Will try to put something together soon.
NoWorriesMom

Thanks all!

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Glad to here it people, thanks, just don't get fired out there ok? :wink:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Once again, loving your reports! Thanx for the boys' ages, it helps me visualize :D

156 days till I can sit at your picnic table at Francis! You DID put a "reserved" sign on it for me. didn't you? :lol:
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks for another fabulous report!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Love!! reading your reports. Thanks so much for giving us so many details. And I'm sorry your son got sick, not fun while on vacation. Glad he made it home before it really hit him, too. Take care!! :)
Coden
mahobayb

Post by mahobayb »

Thank you for helping me dream more vividly. I have to remember: Vie's garlic chicken and find Francis
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Great report.

It's funny how the beach atmosphere changes from week to week.

When we were at Cinnamon a couple of weeks ago, we pretty much had it to ourselves. Your rowdy folks were all around us at Hawksnest.

Keep them coming.
janet
sea-nile

trip reports

Post by sea-nile »

Great trip reports! You are a good writer. Do you keep logs every day to remember?
I really feel like I am experiencing all of the beaches etc., as I read your reports. :)