Waterlemon - by boat?

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Waterlemon - by boat?

Post by PA Girl »

We are looking to get to Waterlemon for snorkeling when we are on St. John.

Yes, I know we could walk but for a number of reasons (laziness being top of the list and preferring to see the island by water on the way out and back is a close second) we would like to get there by boat.

Also, two of the ladies in the group aren't confident swimmers and would be more comfortable knowing there is a boat close by should they wish to cut the snorkel short. (One is really freaked about the current.)

I am not interested in captaining our own boat because with 3 former (male) boaters in the group, I fear we will have a "too many cooks in the kitchen scenario." I suspect there would be agruments about who has control.

Ideally, I would like to find a charter to run us out for a half day or so.

There may be as few as 4 adults or as many at 8, depending on who wants to come along.

I see Calypso runs a full day sail out to Waterlemon but we are really just looking for someone to run us out, snorkel a bit, and back.

Anyone know of any other operators?
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Would you consider a dinghy? We have done it with 4. It was fun! The hardest part was getting back in to the dinghy but with determination, it can be done! Dinghy's are an inexpensive, fun way to explore the North Shore beaches (and Waterlemon).
NancyB
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Probably no dingy. My mom doesn't really like boats and a dingy would be WAY too small for her. Her nerves would be shot by the time we made it out there.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What about ocean runner? I think you can get a captain from them for about $100 or so extra on top of the boat and fuel cost.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I like the Ocean Runner idea for a half day, out and back trip. I knew there was some outfit that had captains available! (I should book mark all STJ related things because I think I will remember the business names but I don't.)
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

You could also give Matt and Josh a call at Lion In Da Sun

They do have day trips as well on a nice stable cat.

Jay

http://www.threeriversprovidernetwork.com/

Image[/url]
shoemak38

Dinghy's

Post by shoemak38 »

Nancy question for a family of 5, how long would it take a dinghy to get to waterlemon cay from Cruz Bay?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I did it in about 40 min in Sept but that was with 2 of us. with 5 I'd go with the bigger digny
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Yes, that sounds right. They do have bigger dinghies available. We rented from Noah's Little Arks at the Beach Bar. It's a great way to see the island!
NancyB
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

thanks Waterguy and Nancy sounds like I've planned one day,

my wife and both girls were not crazy about the walk, my 18 year old son's answer was if I can have a couple of drinks at happy hour I'll do it.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I book-marked both Ocean Runners and Lion in Da Sun.

Just for comparison - how much are dingy rentals, on average?
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

If memory serves me correctly, it was about $100 for the day and I think a half day was $75. Here is the number for Noah's if you want to call and confirm (340) 693-9030. Waterguy may know for sure since he was just there.
NancyB
jenrale

Post by jenrale »

Cruisin' in a dinghy is a blast - you'd have a great time going out to Waterlemon. The only thing I'd say is to hopefully have two people that feel comfortable operating the engine/steering. Facing forward with your arm backwards on the tiller does get a bit tireing after awhile. But oh so much fun!!!! Jenrale
shoemak38

NOAH'S LITTLE ARKS DINGHY RENTALS

Post by shoemak38 »

NOAH'S LITTLE ARKS DINGHY RENTALS

Discover St. John’s famous North Shore beaches from the water! A great way for the couples or the whole family to explore some of the best snorkeling spots not easily accessible by land! No experience necessary—12 and 14 ft. dinghies available. Half-day trips are 4 hours (8:30 to 12:30 pm or 1-5 pm) and full day are 8 hours (9 to 5 pm). Advanced reservations are highly recommended. Dinghies are limited to the North Shore of St. John. Additional fuel charge of $10 for half day and $20 for a full day.

12ft- ½ Day $75.00/ Full Day $130.00
14ft- ½ day $95.00/ Full Day $170.00
shoemak38

Calypso

Post by shoemak38 »

13’AB boat with a 50 horsepower Evinrude Engine

Full Day Rentals $195

Half Day Rentals $125

$25 cash for fuel surcharge

Call the Calypso Office for schedules and availability
(340) 777-7245 or (340) 998-5564 or (340)-693-7328

http://www.calypsovi.com/dinghy.html