Bracelet Question

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Because I've never worn my bracelet through an airport yet (I sent for it after we got home), what it is that it does if you don't unhook it, and why does the way it's constructed make a difference?
cat

Post by cat »

CA Girl i have no idea why, maybe the density of the metal? I really have no idea but it works!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Sweet Christine's J bracelet sets off metal detectors if she leaves it hooke, but goes through fine if she unhooks it! A TSA guy gave her the hint.

When we were on island she wore her bracelet in the pool. Corrosion! After a couple of days in the ocean it was shiny again. She said that the Freebird told her to stay out of hot tubs and pools with the bracelet.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I'm surprised it would set it off anyhow. All of my jewelry is sterling, and I've never had a problem with getting through security. However, nice to know that I can unhook it.

I got a silver polishing cloth in the box with my bracelet, which I thought was a nice surprise. I just don't think I'm going to take mine off ever. I am, however, debating whether to keep it on the arm it's on or move it over with my watch (which is a stainless steel Fossil). I'm kind of afraid they'll clink together that way.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Adrienne wrote:...it reminds me of the rope bracelets we used to get in the beginning of the summer, they would shrink around your wrist and by the end of the summer they were really nasty and ready to cut off....
I wear my Turk's Head rope bracelet while on holiday, and that includes STJ. It's a left-over habit from summers in RI.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

It's funny, that unhook trick has worked for me at most airports, but I set off the detector at deGaulle even though I unhooked it. I wonder why?

Marcia, I will confess that the scratches are just the excuse I am using to get a new bracelet. I bought this one over the phone and it's a little bit too big--it has a tendency to slide down my arm and twist around. I'm hoping John will adopt it when I get my new, smaller one, we'll see.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I do not have the hook bracelet, have the VI one with the 3 knots for each island.
I just polish it with the silver cloth Radha gave me at Caravan. I will say it does tarnish in Chlorine but I just polish it more..........
I actually (don't remember who) but just unhook it like many of you said to go thru the metal detector.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have a silver one from many years ago that I do take a polishing clothe to once in a while. Hubs has a manly sized silver one and for some reason, his seems to loss its shine more quickly, maybe becasue he doesn't wear it as much.

I also have a 14k gold one that I purchased at Patton's, a Sonya. Just the other day, it fell off my wrist because it cracked in half.

I called down to the store and they put me in touch with Sonya's, who explained to me that it was caused by chlorine. Now, I can't say that I never wore it in a pool because I probably did during the summer a few times. They are replacing it (I pay the shipping) what great customer service!
melwill530

Wow! I've had mine for about 15 years!

Post by melwill530 »

I never take it off for anything. Never had to take it off in airports, been to Europe flew into Rome and Paris with no airport problems. I never have to polish mine. It always looks new. I got mine on STT though at the Cardow. It is like a second wedding band for me and my husband. We both wear ours all the time. I think maybe his has less silver content because it is bigger and gets a little dingey looking from time to time but they have both lasted so long. They are also on sale at Cardow now.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I was thinking about asking for a hook bracelet for the holidays :wink:
and I was wondering about the size. It says to measure your wrist and add a 1/2 an inch. So for me that comes out to 6.5, however if it would be this size it doesn't give me too much room. I don't think it would go over the "bump" on my wrist. Is that the correct fit? Or should I go up another .5 inch to be on the safe side?

Or maybe I should just wait until I go back to St. John and have my wrist measured there?! :lol:
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Measure around your wrist including the bump and then add the 1/2 inch. That should give you plenty of room!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

SusanNJ wrote:It says to measure your wrist and add a 1/2 an inch. So for me that comes out to 6.5, however if it would be this size it doesn't give me too much room. I don't think it would go over the "bump" on my wrist. Is that the correct fit? Or should I go up another .5 inch to be on the safe side?
Well, my wrist measured at 6" too, so I added the .5", and I think my bracelet fits too big! It slides over the bump on my wrist with a lot of room to spare and then goes down my arm and twists around. That's why I want a new one.

Of course, it just occured to me that maybe they sent me the wrong size...I'll have to measure it when I get home.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I have the J-hook from Caravan Gallery. I never take it off (except in airports...thanks for the advice to unhook it) but a couple of years ago, while on STJ, I wore it in the villa hot tub which was waaaay over clorinated. The next day a guy on Jost told me to rub it in the sand and it would shine right up. That did the trick, so I always repolish my bracelet in the STJ sand while I'm there.
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

I never had taken my hook bracelet off, except for airports, so now I'm ready to try your suggestion. I always wear it with my 3-knot bracelet. No matter where I go, they go with me.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Hmmm, let me know what it measures to (liamsuant)? I did contact Palm Jewelers and they said that you don't want the bracelet too big because it will not stay place on your wrist (the hook will slide to the back of your arm). I just don't want the bracelet too small, but I did measure 6".