I have another trip planned!

Travel discussion for St. John
mbw1024

I have another trip planned!

Post by mbw1024 »

But not to St. John this time :( Oh well... it will come. This time my husband planned a trip for me for my 40th birthday to Key West. Always a place I wanted to visit.
Anyone around here have an information on that area. What to see, do, or not see or not do :)

If so drop me an email or PM.

We will be there in February.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Way To Go Charlie!
I know you'll have a blast.
-Ruth
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Hi Mary Beth

My step-brother live in Key West and I can't tell you how many times I've been down there. Give me some time and I'll put a list of things to do, places to see and place to eat and mostly drink. I promise - I'll get back to you.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

ruth, you're a good secret keeper :)

I knew someone around here would have some info for me. thanks George! Appreciate it.....
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Good for you! I've been once many years ago and it is beautiful there too. SOunds like you have a good catch in Charlie - tell him I'm turning 40 next year too....!

Also, Florida George, my parents love the keys and will be heading down next year too - any chance you would be willing to share your list with me as well?

Thanks!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
jmq

Post by jmq »

Any of you Key West experts been out to Dry Tortugas, and if so, how was it?

I understand it may have recently got a little more difficult to get out to (fewer plane or ferry operators?)
Thanks.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

OK – The Florida Keys and Key West

Getting There:
Via Air – The Keys have two airports. One in Marathon which is about the half-way point from the upper Keys to Key West. Or Key West airport.

Driving – Take US1 south until it ends. If your driving, gas up in Florida City. It’s just as you enter the Upper Keys. Gas will be a little cheaper. There is a gas is a gas station on Key Largo that is sometimes cheap too. I think is called Marathon Gas. Watch your speed driving, the cops are as thick as mosquitoes and they will pull you over for just barely going over the speed limit.

Places to see stating in the upper keys starting on Key Largo and heading to Key West:
Most everything in the Keys is referenced by the mile markers (MM) on the side of the road.

Key Largo:
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park ( http://www.pennekamppark.com/ ) America’s first underwater park.

Islamorada:
Lorelei's Restaurant & Cabana Bar (http://www.loreleifloridakeys.com/ ) bets dame rum Runners in the keys. MM 82

Feed the Tarpon MM 7.5 - Be amazed and delighted as 50 or more friendly tarpons gather at the docks. It's a true Keys experience.
BAHIA HONDA STATE RECREATION AREA MM 37 - A state park with a lovely beach, picnic table and bathroom facilities.
NATIONAL KEY DEER AND GREAT WHITE HERON WILDLIFE REFUGE MM 30.5 - Known for its tiny deer that stand 2 ft. tall and weigh less than 75 lbs. Deer can most often be seen in early am or late pm. Motorists, drive carefully! Refuge is home to migratory birds, rare & endangered species.
Key West MM 0 – here is a link (http://www.florida-keys.fl.us/keywest.htm ) that has a lot of good info. Duval Street is the main drag that has lots of bars and shops. The street is only about 2 miles long and can be easily walked. At one end is the marker marking the southern most point in the U.S. 90 miles away is Cuba. At the other end is Mallory Square. Everyone goes here to watch the sunset. There are a ton of street entertainers and as the sun slips below the horizon – everyone claps. It’s a great tradition. There are lots and lots of bars and shops on Duval Street. As a matter of fact if you go pub hopping – the locals call it “The Duval Crawl”.
Some of my favorite are:
Hog's Breath Saloon ( http://hogsbreath.com/ ) Hog's Breath is better than no breath at all!
SLOPPY JOE'S http://www.sloppyjoes.com - Tourist hang out but fun.
GREEN PARROT BAR http://www.greenparrot.com Local hang out
The Bull – another local hang out.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

FlaGeorge has a lot of great suggestions. I wanted to add that we also really liked Morada Bay for dinner/cocktails in Islamorada. Have a great 40th!!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

kygirl wrote:FlaGeorge has a lot of great suggestions. I wanted to add that we also really liked Morada Bay for dinner/cocktails in Islamorada. Have a great 40th!!
THANKS! It's tomorrow... I plan to celebrate all the way until our trip in Feb :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Thanks George! You da best!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY BETH! :D
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

We were there last March and had a great time. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale and took a smaller plane into Key West. Kind of like going to St. Thomas from Puerto Rico! We stayed at the Gardens Hotel. It was right off the main area of Duval but you felt miles away when you were there. Definitely check out Mallory Square one night to see the sunset. We had a great dinner at Louie's Backyard. We had reservations for Cafe Marquesa but didn't make it, heard that they have very good food - Also be sure to go to Blue Heaven for breakfast! Also check out Rick's on Duval St. too, a local musician from the NY/NJ area plays there - his name is Will Hoppey. He's a great acoustic player that sings songs of Buffett, James Taylor, etc. You'll have a great time!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

thanks for the great info Susan!
patr

Post by patr »

I'll second FlaGeorge's list.

If you happen to be on Key Largo near sundown, I would recommend dinner at Snook's. Amazing sunsets and great food as well!

At Key West, we like to hang at Sloppy Joes and The Bull. 8)
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

My husband and I are actually going back to Key West the beginning of March so now I can start counting down that trip! It will be a nice detour unitl we head back to St. John next October! :D