Shipping to Connections via USPS

Travel discussion for St. John
hardonyou

Shipping to Connections via USPS

Post by hardonyou »

Ok, so all along I have planned to ship my snorkel gear (for three people) and liquids ahead of me to Connections. I looked up approx. prices for UPS and FEDEX and needless to say they consider the USVI international shipping. USPS if I understand correctly does not consider the USVI (duh) international shipping so their standard rates apply. I am fairly confident in this info, just need reassurance. My only concern is, "will it get there in time?". I planned to ship this Thurs for my arrival next Thurs via 3-5 day. Is it still 3-5 day or will it actually be much slower going to STJ than advertised? I posed this question to Connections but I am sure they are very busy this week so I thought I'd see if anyone else had experience. I would do almost anything to avoid checking a bag (we all bought nice new fins this year that no longer fit into our carry-ons), but the $300-400 price for UPS and FEDEX crosses my almost anything limit.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

They will not arrive in time. It takes 10-14 for priority mail to arrive in STJ, and can take longer. I shipped a box to STJ Priority Mail in April, it took 15 business days to arrive.

The mail is spotty at best. Way back when, you could send overnight to STJ, it took about a week.

I would not risk it. I can almost guarantee you it will arrive after you leave the island.
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

damn......damn, damn! :evil: I wonder how much of my fin can be hanging out of my carry-on before they care? Hmmmmmmmm. I would say at least 3/4 of the heel cup will stick out of the zipper.
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

Anyone else have any experience with this? I don't doubt you Cypressgirl, my gut instinct is you're right, I only ask because I just did a search on USPS, and it says they will guarantee 2 day delivery if I have it in by 5:30pm this thurs.
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, but I called Connections and the wonderfully nice lady who answered the phone said that as long as you over night or "express mail" the package it will take only 3 or so days. She said that priority mail is a mixed bag, you are either at the top of the pile and it gets there in 3 or 4 days or you're at the bottom and it takes two weeks.

This was like my own little thread.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I encourage you to use the search function and search the word shipping. You will find many stories of shipping and the length that it has taken.
JT

Post by JT »

Maybe you could wear your fins, as your shoes, onto the plane.Lol. Sorry, couldn't help myself. It does bring hilarious images in my head though!Seriously, though, BT and I have done carry on only, with fins and masks, for as long as 3 weeks.We put the all of the gear in one bag, stuff socks, mini binoculars into the foot area of the fins and then anything else that will fit. Some tee shirts, neet sheet and a few other small items. The other bag has all of the rest. BT forgoes her regular purse for the biggest personal bag allowed and stuffs that with sunglasses, etc. I wouldn't trust the mail either!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

JT you and I travel in a very similar manner. Such packing has never been a problem for me before but I have to say the liquids restriction has forced me to make other plans.

Cypressgirl, I did the search you suggested. All of the people who had negative comments, including yours, were talking about priority mail, as she said, it can take anywhere from 4-14 days for priority. I am talking about sending it overnight express, which is guaranteed in 2 days, and she said more realistically 3-4 but still not 7. I couldn't find a post that said their overnight/express package didn't make it. I appreciate your advise, I just want to make sure we are making like comparisons.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Just so there is no confusion, I am not Cypressgirl. She may get mad.

I was told that the USPS can not guarantee overnight express to the VI. Perhaps your post office will tell you something else, but she told me that she could charge me for overnight express but they would no guarantee it.

I think that Ruth and Pia will back me up with this. I am not trying to argue with you or discourage you, I just don't want you to get there and not get your stuff.
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

Sorry Xislandgirl! I was doing too many things at once while fretting about my dilemma and had only glanced at your pic. Sorry again. And I completely understand that you aren't trying to be discouraging. I welcome the information, I am just trying to get all the info I can and go from there. I would just suck it up and check a bag, but I have a flight that changes airlines that do not share luggage, so this would mean with a tight connection getting my bag, then going back through security.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I overnighted a box to Connections last trip via the post office. The cost was around $40, the box weighed around 25 lbs. I had a tracking number for the package. According to the records online and the notation on the box when I picked it up, it got there in three business days from MA.

I do think you are cutting it too close though--I shipped my package almost a month in advance to be sure. If something goes wrong, it would really stink for you.

Maybe you could rent fins on the island if you want to go all carry on? You can certainly buy all the shampoo and bug spray etc. you'll need at the Chelsea drugstore.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I shipped a box down using Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. The box weighed about 25 lbs and the cost was around $55 if I remember right. It arrived in 4 days. I mailed it 12 days ahead of time. This is just my experience but I agree that it can take a long time to get there even using Priority Mail. I just lucked out I think but I wouldn't mail anything too important in case it arrives late or never. Actually, my box did get lost for a day but did show up at The Mail Center where Susie at Christy's picked it up and had it delivered to our villa. I would do this again but only to ship non essentials. The snorkel gear goes with me!
Pia

Post by Pia »

OK, when my folks ship things to me via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day guarantee) it normally takes 7 to 10 days. I have only once had it take longer (5 weeks :shock: :? :D ) If you send things USPS Express Mail it WILL get here overnight if it is in the mail before noon and at the latest it will be the day after.

Hope this helps

Pia
Pia

Post by Pia »

Oh I forgot, if you insure it for the minimum amount which I think is $50.00 and it will cost you alittle over $1.00 to do so, it usually will get here alittle faster (maybe 6-7 days not 7-10 days :) )

Pia
Pia

Post by Pia »

I guess I should read all the responses first before I post :) Xislandgirl is correct that mail is spotty at best (although it seems to be getting alittle better :)) BUT with Carnival this week (almost no Government run facility is working - and not just on the 4th) there will be a back log of mail so it could be longer.

Sorry we are being of no help.

If you want to guarantee it here in a week us USPS Express Mail (overnight) and you should be OK (again not promising)

Pia