Back last night! Trip report 6/20-29 day one

Travel discussion for St. John
starfish

Back last night! Trip report 6/20-29 day one

Post by starfish »

Well, we're back. Lots of fun, maybe too much sun?, some interesting happenings.

First let me tell you the major players: myself, my husband (psychiatrist, needing major time off!), oldest, 18, who we are celebrating his high school graduation, son, 15, baseball and basketball player, which we are missing baseball tourny and basketball "non-mandatory" HA! practice, and daughter, 12, who is just beginning to kick in her hormones.

Anyway, we leave 6/19 to the airport in St. louis, an hour 45 minute drive. We stay at the Airport Renaissance hotel as it offers parking and 24 hour shuttles for that 5:15 am drive to the airport in the am. First we eat at the India Palace, the first for us because an Indian doctor had broken her contract with my husband several years ago and he since has had an aversion to many things Indian. It was FABULOUS!

6/20- We awaken at 4:35 am, get showered, kids up at 4:45 and down to make the shuttle at 5:15. Everything goes smooth, our AA flight takes off to Miami, no probs. In Miami, everything appears smooth, until we are actually on the plane. Then there is an announcement, the lines on the bottom of the plane are loose, need to be connected, it'll be at least 30 minutes to fix. A groan comes up in the plane, I think, no biggie, just a glitch. I am happily reading one of the books about the First Lady detective in Botswana, such a peaceful and relaxing book. But 30 minutes later, another announcement comes from the pilot that because of the thunderstorm the mechanics can not work on the plane- people are grumbling, restless and I notice a few leave the plane. I think everyone is thinking of the horror of being forced to wait on the plane. I tell my family, lets leave too to just stretch our legs. The stewardess advises us to be back in 25 minutes. We grab something to eat, walk back and are seated. 1 hour and a half after our plane was supposed to leave an announcement comes on that its fixed! But we can't leave because we are waiting on people to return- we wait still another half hour for the inconsiderate folks to make their way back on- a hazard of letting people deplane. I chalk all this up to "a travel adventure" and we arrive safely in St Thomas 2 hours later than what we were supposed to. I am SO glad we had scheduled a private taxi and water taxi as I could not stand one more minute of waiting! The free rum punch stand is closed, but we get our luggage and head out with Christopher taxi. One word on this- he is very personable, however all he does is talk on his cell phone, ignoring us and driving with one hand while he dials his phone. I do not recommend him. I wish we had done Wheatley's taxi. But we arrive safely at the dock, and Dohm's water taxi is there. Only this guy who is supposed to take us is confused- he thought we'd be two people to Caneel bay (I do not think this guy was all there)- but when the confusion stops, he takes us over to St. John and we're there! Corinne from Viva is waiting and she takes my husband with our luggage up to get our 4 door Wrangler from Bougainvilla. This jeep was terrific for the hills and fit our 5 person family quite well plus luggage. It only had 2000 miles and I highly recommend Bougainvilla at Donald Schnell's place. Plus we always found great free parking.

Corinne takes us to Starfish Market, a bonus since we arrived late. We grab some tuna to grill and some of Josephine's arugula. Then we're off to our villa, Sapphire Breeze and the drive up Jacob's ladder, then Sunset ridge is intense. There is NO WAY to do it without four wheel drive! At all! The entrance to the villa is beautiful, more so than the pictures showed, Lots of tile and blue ceramic globes that are lit up at night,stone stairs and beautiful landscaping at the entrance. The view from the deck is fantastic and soon everyone is in the pool while I go over the villa with Corinne. The grill won't start, but she calls a maintenance man he comes over immediately to fix it. Soon we are enjoying the wonderful breeze plus freshly seared tuna and everyone goes to bed happy.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Great start to your trip reports. Two questions:

1) How much did it cost to rent the four door Wrangler?

2) I thought that Christopher worked for Dohms? It is okay to use a different private land taxi and still use Dohms for the water taxi?

Thanks for your help.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Very cool. I hope you have some pictures of the pool area! This was a place I wanted for last Thanksgiving week, but another group had booked that week for a couple of years out.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Sounds like a hectic day of travel but making it to the deck of Sapphire Breeze is well worth it!
We loved staying there a few years back and look forward to hearing more about your trip! Any pics to post?
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
starfish

Post by starfish »

Christopher does not work for Dohm's, its just who they recommend. Actually, I had decided at the last minute to do the transfer, so I didn't do my usual investigation. Viva actually recommends Wheatly's for the land transfer and Dohm's for the water. I didn't go back and double check it before booking. I just started thinking about getting to the island as soon as possible and with the ferry system being a mite more crowded (and our flight late!) I am so glad we did.

The four door wrangler was only like $25 more for the week than the other enclosed vehicle we were looking at. I'll try to go look it up, we're just unpacking so its a mess!
starfish

Post by starfish »

Rick,

I do not know if I can post pics as I am not computer literate when it comes to cameras yet. I have a website that I got from someone else who stayed at Sapphire breeze:

http://family.webshots.com/photo/141783 ... 1808Mutieb

It would make a great party house.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Great report!

Funny you mentioned reading the books about the first lady detective in Botswana (Mma Ramotswe). I love those books and read the 7th book in the serie, "The good husband of Zebra Drive" on our trip to STJ in April. They are perfect easygoing reading for a Caribbean vacation. I highly recommend them. They are written by a man called Alexander McCall Smith (from UK but used to live in Botswana), but you actually think it's a woman that have written the books when you read them. Honestly, I think the books are more appreciated by women.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Awesome start of your trip report and pics!! Man, I can't wait to get back to Paradise!! :D
Coden
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

I on the other hand do recommend Christopher taxi. He is very considerate, has always been on time, and is a safe and conscientious driver. Just my .02.

Also, do you think the water taxi guy could have been a bit confused because you were 2 hours late? I mean it's not as if you spoke to him directly when you called to change your times.

I am not trying to be critical, but my exp. with both of these services has been stellar.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thanks for the info on the 4 door Wrangler. I've been thinking about booking one. Glad to hear it handled well. I was also not aware that you had free parking. I think that just made my decision.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Thanks for the report. Nice pictures!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We actually had the opposite experience with Christopher - he talked so much it practically gave me a headache! Much of it was hubs fault as he was the one doing the engaging.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Can't wait to hear about the villa. We are looking at Sapphire Breeze for next year.