What the what?

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

What the what?

Post by 54b »

Good morning, good day and good evening, STJ forumites,

Last year was the first time we didn't make it to the rock after having the good fortune of spending one week there every June since 2009. We make our triumphant return this June and like many of you, when the trip nears, you start returning to this forum and others with greater and greater frequency. Since perusing the posts, I've been saddened to learn that domo arigato Deli Grato went sayonara and my heart broke when I found out God called up to the Majors one of my all time favorite people in the world, Captain John Brandi. (You were the best, John.)

Next you're gonna tell me Ms. Vie isn't frying chicken anymore?

(Why are you looking at me like that...oh no.)

What the what? I miss one year and there's a drought and a sea lice epidemic and the next thing you know, people have stopped saying good morning before asking if there is any green Ting left because all they have is the pink.

Okay, I can take it. What other things have changed on the rock in the last year?

They didn't turn the National Park into Jurassic park did they?
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
brenda

Re: What the what?

Post by brenda »

This doesn't address all of your questions, but North Shore Deli which is in the old Deli Grotto space is excellent. I was never a huge Deli Grotto fan. This place puts up some stiff competition to Sam and Jacks. Longboard is new in the old Joe's Diner spot. Have not eaten there yet. Cafe Livin is now the Dock. Extra Virgin Bistro is in the old Fatty Crab spot and gets rave reviews for finer dining. De Coal Pot near The Lime Inn serves authentic Carribean fare. Vista Mare is probably new to you too. It is in the old Spyglass location.
Going "home" again October 26th!
awardb

Post by awardb »

Two thumbs up for the North Shore Deli. While we liked the old place, the new owner/menu suits us just fine. Great grub for a very reasonable price. We have talked to the new owner several times, and he has tons o' hospitality experience and seems very dedicated and very customer-oriented. We can't wait to eat there when we return in August.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
54b

Post by 54b »

Good stuff, thank you both for all the insights...seen some good reviews on that Extra Virgin Bistro and look forward to giving North Shore Deli a try...not only was Deli Grotto good for a breakfast and lunch sandwich, but it had that great location on your way out to the north shore (which is probably a good call on the new owners part in naming it :)
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We are currently on island now. So what can we add to the discussion? Oh, DJ the long time bartender at the Banana Deck is the new owner of Deli Groto cum Northshore Deli. So it was kept in the family so to speak. We had a wonderful day at Maho and saw the most turtles we have ever seen in one place and we have been coming here for nearly 20 years. I do not think we encountered sea lice that I am aware of. Starfish has plenty of green Ting. There are two bottles in the fridge now. Reports on Extra Virgin are excellent. And people are still friendly when you are. Show respect, get respect.
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks, Bill...on island intel, sweet. Some quick Q's:

1) Last time I was there, a new gas station was going in near the Westin and right next to St. John Market...what's it like and is the gas station across from the basketball court still there? Any gas stations in Coral Bay?

2) How is the island overall...I'd seen a bunch of reports about a lack of rain last year. Has it bounced back? Is it pretty green?

3) Are the mainstays still going strong...STJ Spice, Beach Bar, Woody's, Skinny Legs, etc.

4) Is Gibney still Gibney...same three spaces in front of the gate? Any other new updates on beaches. Hopefully not much.

5) Anything new about making your way from STT airport to the Red Hook ferry and on over...I heard we no longer had to fill out customs forms on the way back, which is nice and I always thought weird that we needed to do that in the first place to go from the US to the US.

And of course any other tips. Thanks again.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Raceway Gas is up and operating but fuel trucks are having a dickens of a time making it over Jacob's Ladder. On Friday a tractor trailer jackknifed on the hill turning the trailer on its' side and flipping the the tractor so it was sitting on its' rear wheels with the cab up in the air. Traffic was rerouted for several hours. See https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

This has been the most showery (Is that word?) March we've experienced in years. Never rained out but several short showers during the day and evening. Island is green after a rather dry winter.

Mainstays are still and in operation. Rumor is that the Woody's people are going to reopen Island Blues with an opening date sometime in April.

We're not Gibney people but there are usually at least 3 vehicles parked there when we head home.

Same old, same old as far as the STT to Redhook shuttle. The bar in the Redhook Terminal has been a nice addition though.

Not much new to add but we have found the St. John Beach Bum a welcome and friendly place for picking up snorkel gear. I needed a new case for my mask and keepers for my snorkel. He had several selections available. Unlike Low Key, the store is more focused on snorkelers. Worth a look. I had really nice service at the Dock as I had breakfast while putting friends on the ferry.
54b

Post by 54b »

Solid, Bill, don't let me intrude on your vacation any longer. But definitely appreciate the info and so do others I'm sure.

Didn't even consider the thought of getting a fuel truck over Jacob's ladder. That's crazy and I'm sure if it's raining, forget it.

Restaurants changing is probably to be expected given the nature of the business and maybe not such a bad thing for the sake of variety and pushing the overall offer. I'm sure it's hell on the owners though.

Big picture wise, it's great to hear the more things change, the island and the reasons we return stay the same.

Good on ya, thanks again, Bill.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

The loss of Captain John was a tough blow,indeed. Sadly, STJ"s community also lost another beloved family member, as well, - the head chef at Aqua Bistro MJ also past away this past year.
With every trip we made it a point to shoot the breeze with him. He was just always very nice and great to talk to.
He,too, will be missed.

Maho Jim
54b

Post by 54b »

Sorry to hear that MahoJim...we love Aqua Bistro and especially the Ponzu Tuna. Over the years, I've noticed that our group has started doing take-out and eating at the villa a lot more often, but AB has always been one of the few restaurants we make a point of patronizing on each trip.

My condolences to MJ's family and friends.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Cory! Long time no see!

We're gearing up for our 13th trip to STJ but we'll be there in July, sorry we'll miss you.

Deli Grotto and Miss Vie's chicken were already off limits for me (gluten), but I can tell you that the beaches are as beautiful as ever, and that's what keeps me coming back. I have never seen a dinosaur within national park boundaries, so keep your fingers crossed, you should be good there.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
54b

Post by 54b »

Good to hear from ya, Teresa.

Speaking of Deli Grotto...been hearing a lot of good things about the guys that took over there. The menu is pretty comparable, food has remained really tasty and I read somewhere just about everything comes with a Gluten free option.

Dinosaurs would be a welcome site compared to Zika virus carrying mosquitos :)

I read some where that villa rentals were way down right now because of it and I have notice a lot of emails and extra ads from villa companies on STJ advertising last minute deals.

It won't deter us, but I would certainly not blame anyone who is pregnant or might be pregnant postponing for a while and until we know what's what for sure.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Regarding that accident on Jabobs Ladder on Friday, there was somebody who was supposed to meet me in town but couldn't get there and sent me this photo in a text as to the reason why. She said that truck blew a tire and slid back down the hill, also pointing out that locals behind a truck will often wait for it to make it up before they follow.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

54b - if you can grab a spot, Gibney is still Gibney - aka one of the best places in the world for a good book (or a good nap)

The new menu and the atmosphere at Longboard is quite enjoyable.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
54b

Post by 54b »

JMQ...I think people are usually too quick to toss out the OMG, but seriously, OMG. That is absolutely insane. If I'd been following that truck up the hill I would have turned Cruz Bay into Brown Bay if you know what I mean. How did they even begin to get that cleaned up?

As for Gibney...this is STJ blasphemy, but I'm not afraid to admit that I not only have a typed out itinerary for the day we go to that beach, but it includes two-Jeep approach so as not to rely on the slowest of the herd and there's a reminder to set alarm clocks in all CAPS and in red font. Gibney, far right, under the palms...it is my happy place.

Digging Longboard...looks like J.Crew and Ralph Lauren went into the restaurant biz. I also want to say that's under Cafe Roma across from Rhumblines...that used to be like an odd BBQ restaurant that only the locals seemed to go to. Maybe it was because of all the love for Uncle Joe's and Candi's, but I never heard anyone on the forum talk bout the previous place.