10 more days in paradise, final

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Re: 10 more days in paradise, final

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:
As far as the changes go, yes, there is a difference. This is just my personal opinion, but all of the changes I noticed are positive ones. Better food at the restaurants. More staff around in general. People working at the resort seem happier than they used to. I am not sure why.

I know not everyone is pleased. I think some people go to Caneel with expectations of a certain experience because of the price. It's not a plush resort. I like that about it. I think it is very comfortable.

I do have a funny unhappy guest story though. When we were checking out from the room at the beginning of the trip, a gentleman was at the front desk voicing complaints to the manager. Things he did not like: the fish tiles in the bathrooms. That he did not have one of the two updated rooms on Scott Beach. That that the wind was too loud at night. The manager handled all complaints with aplomb, even the one about the wind! :lol:
As a 20 year Caneel and STJ veteran (probably a 75% villa/25% Caneel split), I'll share that I agree 100% with Liamsaunt's assessment. Our last trip was in July and probably our best trip ever.

There is a change in the air there and its for the better. Not to criticize the "old Caneel" because we loved it but a change was probably warranted.

From what we were told over the years, the terms of the lease restrict (rather severely) the amount of improvements can be made to the buildings. The resort probably didn't fit with Rosewood's business model anymore. Rosewood is shutting Little Dix down for an 18 month major renovation and the VG residents (the ones we talked to) are very nervous about so many people being out of work.

I love those fish tiles and would probably buy them if they were for sale in the gift shop :) but yes, the rooms need updating. I can absolutely see how some (many the majority?) of the visitors would except a very different room for the price. Our friends would fall into this category, which is why I have said "no" to a joint Caneel trip.
liamsaunt wrote:
People working at the resort seem happier than they used to. I am not sure why.
One thing that I noticed during our last two trips (both post-new management) is that there a cooperative effort. Many times I saw management-level staff seating guests, delivering drinks and even clearing tables. (as a former server/bartender at two very busy restaurants, I tend to notice such things) Did you notice that as well?
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Thanks for posting! I always enjoy your reports and photos!!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

First of all, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting your trip reports. I LOVE reading them!

The lobster tacos and conch fritters look AMAZING!!! I'm guessing they were as good as they looked! And I can't believe they give you that many conch fritters there! Normally, everywhere else on island, it's about 4 - 6 fritters per order. Guess where we're going in a couple of months for conch fritters? :lol:

Sad about no more corn risotto on the shrimp dish, but I'm sure the replacement sides are just as yummy. Gotta get to Zozo's. Haven't been since they moved.

Thanks again for sharing!