How Long Before Flight Should I Get There?

Travel discussion for St. John
vacagirl

How Long Before Flight Should I Get There?

Post by vacagirl »

If I am checked in and I only have carry-on, how early do I need to get there before my flight?
My Heart is in St. John!
awardb

Re: How Long Before Flight Should I Get There?

Post by awardb »

Others will weigh in with their opinions and helpful information, but our experience has been that it depends on what day you are flying out. We now always fly during the week, and don't usually run into large crowds. Still, we try to arrive at STT airport at least 2 hours ahead of departure, since I've occasionally seen really long lines thru security or other problems. We'd rather be safe than sorry. Weekends can sometimes (not always) be very busy.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

awardb wrote:Others will weigh in with their opinions and helpful information, but our experience has been that it depends on what day you are flying out. We now always fly during the week, and don't usually run into large crowds. Still, we try to arrive at STT airport at least 2 hours ahead of departure, since I've occasionally seen really long lines thru security or other problems. We'd rather be safe than sorry. Weekends can sometimes (not always) be very busy.
I agree. One year the couple traveling with us to noon ferry (we took the 11 ferry) and we made the flight and they spent the night next to the airport. If everything goes perfect we have to spend an extra hour in the airport. For us that is not a big deal. To each his own though.
lprof

Post by lprof »

We departed St John Monday, February 29, on the 2 PM ferry where every single seat was filled. (This was the Monday following 8 Tuff Miles so most likely more departing than on a typical Monday.) Many passengers were "day trippers" and there seemed to be a brouhaha of some sort going on between the three attendants assigning cabs in Red Hook. My husband and I, plus one other, were sent to a cab filled with folks heading to Havensight Mall. Our driver was cool but constantly honking his horn, turning around and going around traffic, and of course dropped the ship people off first.

We arrived at the American curb the required three hours before our flight departure time exactly. We had bags that we had decided to check and had not gotten our boarding passes. The self-check machines were not accepting any credit cards for bag payment so agents were having to do that... it was a short term bedlam, and I must say that our agent stayed cool and polite.
There are no customs forms now but you do have to go through immigration. The line there moved at about the same speed as in previous trips. Then there were two lines for TSA... checked bags and carry-on. Checked bags had no TSA-pre-check line; two lines served for the actual security check; I do not know about the carry-on line. All in all, we were 55 minutes curb to waiting area. Our flight to Miami left early.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

Good information to mull over. Since in high season and some colleges on spring break, 2 hrs prior is sounded like the way to go. Thank you all for your input.
My Heart is in St. John!