Flights & where to stay our first night on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Suziekue

Flights & where to stay our first night on STJ

Post by Suziekue »

Hi,
Looking for some insight from the STJ experts. We're planning our vacation leaving Nov. 11th thru the 20th, flights all seem very high right now, is that just because it's so early? I'm looking at American leaving DTW with one stop in Philly and the round trip price is $693. Delta is over 1k. Anyone have any advice? Should we wait a while?

Also, our first night on STJ I booked a room at the Westin but have seen some mixed reviews, would appreciate your thoughts. We'll check into our villa on Saturday.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

loria

Re: Flights & where to stay our first night on STJ

Post by loria »

I am sure you will be fine at the Westin! it's only one night -- I would wait until about 2 months out to buy airfares .....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Thanks, the Westin is supposed to be nice but expensive too, honestly I do not remember even seeing it before on any of my past trips. I appreciate your response and advice!
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

CHM

Post by CHM »

We are traveling in September this year (first time ever for the off off off season) and we found it more cost friendly to fly American going and Delta coming home. We have a room booked at the Marriott on St Thomas for Friday night before our STJ villa starts, however I keep checking the Westin prices. We have stayed at the Westin before or at the end of a sailing trip and been pleased. I wouldn't want to stay there for a week because we are villa people, but it is nice. Expensive but nice.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Spirit Airlines is $474 & Delta is < $600. Personally I would book flights now. This way you get the times you want and the seats you want. I always ask myself would I be more upset if the price went up 20% and I didn't book or more upset if the price went down 20% I had already booked?
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

I agree with Loria. Wait before buying your tickets. I find the best deal is usually about 2months to 6 weeks out.
About the Westin. Can't speak to that cuz I'm not a resort person. Have you checked out the Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel? Or Estate Lindholm?
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

You need to decide what's a comfortable price for you and book when you are okay with that. I have had flights where I saved money booking close to departure and other times when I saved money booking way in advance. We've flown SAV-STT 20+ times now so I have a good idea what the price is going to be. For our upcoming trip I first looked 330 days out and I found first class tickets for what we normally pay for coach. I bought all 6 tickets for our group on the spot. Now, a little over two months out, our tickets are less than what coach is currently priced. YMMV :D

PS - The Westin is fine but I would probably go with the Cruz Bay Boutique hotel or if they would rent for one night Cruz View Villas.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I would consider staying at Marriott Frenchmans Reef for your first night. Have dinner at Havana Blue, it is excellent.

I did three nights at the Westin last summer in advance of our villa stay. It was fine. The room was comfortable, the resort was quiet, breakfast was good, and the grounds are lush. Negatives are that the beach is not nice, and there's no signature restaurant for dinner on the property.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

We are traveling from Indiana and bought our tickets a couple of months prior (will be on island this Saturday). Cost was <$700 which was good for us. Since we bought the price has only gone up.
My Heart is in St. John!
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Thank you all! I'm leaning toward staying at the Marriott on STT mainly because our travel day would be shorter and we could enjoy the resort and have dinner at Havana Blue. I'm starting to feel a little obsessed with watching the flights and I really want the connection thru Philly so I think we'll jump on it soon! I appreciate all of your responses, the knowledge you share is invaluable!

islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

I'm definitely not an expert on airfare but...
I've been told that prices go down a bit after Spring Break.
Good luck!
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

That sounds like it makes perfect sense, I'm so removed from Spring Break I never even considered it. So far I've moved our hotel to the Marriott the first night, reserved our Jeep and villa only thing left is the flights and the long wait but we are grateful for a great trip to look forward to.

david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

about 4 wks ago we booked one way tickets at the last minute....$150.00 non-stop from ewr!!! crazy crazy!! delta.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Wow David that is amazing! Our trip isn't till November and Delta is over 1K AA is about $700, still checking daily but the only thing lower right now is Spirit & I cannot go there.

kklay

Post by kklay »

We travel In Late November and I am waiting for the Jet Blue fares to come out. Last year we flew them for $464 round trip and they were great!