10 more days in paradise, part one

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Re: 10 more days in paradise, part one

Post by PA Girl »

What a nice way to enjoy my coffee this cold Saturday morning, a liamsaunt trip report!

It took us 20 years but we finally ate at the Estate House in July when on our anniversary trip. Like you, we really enjoyed it. I loved having cpwine on the patio before hand as well. We would have gone back but they only were open one night a week during the summer.

I hear Caneel is ramping up for lots of room renovations during the fall closure. We had such a great summer trip, I am looking ahead to 2017 for another.
mbw1024 wrote:Was your VIP Mario Batali? I know he was there recently but not sure if your travel crossed paths.
Last time we were on STJ, we sat next to him and his family at la tapa. While I certainly wasn't gawking or eavesdropping, I couldn't help but to overhear his interactions with the servers as the tables were close close we were practically eating with them. As a former server myself, he came off as the dream customer and made me even more of a fan.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote: Okay - what is a sea bag? I must look into this for this year's trip! I'm missing out!
They are bags made in Maine from recycled sails. I use them for beach bags and carry them as my purse while vacationing on the Cape or St. John. Not something I would bring to work but fun for vacation. You can see a selection here:

http://seabags.com/?&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2 ... oCz2vw_wcB
Pickle wrote:Was this trip planned rather last minute? We did that last summer and it was kind of fun. Scrambling (to some degree) to find available accommodations, jeep and plane tickets with JOY - well, for us, anyway.
Very last minute! We were not planning on visiting St. John this winter because we are bringing Liam and Caili to Disney in April, but then the Patriots lost the AFC championship game, and John was sad, so he went and booked this trip without telling me. If you ask me, the Patriots can lose next year too, if this is the outcome :lol: I was nervous that we would not be able to find a Jeep, but Catered To took care of that for us. We got a discount on the villa for the last minute booking.
PA Girl wrote: I hear Caneel is ramping up for lots of room renovations during the fall closure. We had such a great summer trip, I am looking ahead to 2017 for another.
Yes, that is true. We overheard the manager talking to another guest, and he was saying that all of the rooms on Scott Beach are scheduled for a complete renovation during this season's closure. He said that two of them were done last closure as a test. I thought about asking to see one of the renovated rooms, but decided not to be a PITA. :wink:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Love your trip reports, thanks for posting, can't wait to read more.
JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

Another great trip report!!!! love it! Great pics!
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Becky, it's such a pleasure to read your reports - and see your photos. Aurora is on our short list, so I'm eager to read part two and find out more about your stay. And to read more about your take on your dining experiences, because there's no one I trust more to give informed reviews. Glad your trip has been successful so far!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Love your reports, so glad the Patriot's lost so we get to read this report. Well, maybe also because I am a Raven's fan. :D