About Caneel Bay, St. John, USVI

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Sharon

About Caneel Bay, St. John, USVI

Post by Bob & Sharon »

It saddens us to write this review.

What was once our favorite vacation spot has become an overpriced disappointment.

The new “culture” since Rosewood is no longer involved, has evolved from a “yes we can” to “I don’t care”.

The property is so bug infested that the guests look like small pox victims. Dengue fever cannot be ignored and the property should be fogged to protect the guests.

On the taxi ride to the airport all three couples complained of broken and running toilets. Proper maintenance seems to be absent.

Dinner at the bar was very poor and overpriced. The tiny Cesar-salad came with no dressing and no cheese, we had to go to the kitchen to resolve this. The fish was overcooked and the steak was as appealing as the sole of a shoe.

The turtle bay restaurant was closed and they no longer offer a Monday night buffet. The mangers cocktail party has replaced the beef tenderloin with corn fritters……need I say more?

We will monitor the situation and if the management ever changes we may give Caneel another chance. But until then, we are off to Little Dix Bay, where the property is fogged for bugs twice a day and they serve complimentary frozen grapes and sorbet on the beach and everyone has a positive, helpful attitude.
David 12

Re: About Caneel Bay, St. John, US

Post by David 12 »

Sad to say, we noticed a few changes on our recent trip in November but we chalked it up to the fact that they just reopened.

We only ate on property at the beach bar and thought the food was okay (cheeseburgers and pasta) but our favorite sushi chef is no longer there (chef Kim).

The mosquitos were definitely worse than I can remember and we heard about maintenance issues from other guests.

What room did you stay in?

We are going back in a couple months and hope to see some improvement. The beaches are obviously great and it is a perfect location for snorkeling but I am open to seeking alternatives.

Dave
PA Girl

Re: About Caneel Bay, St. John, USVI

Post by PA Girl »

Oh boy, that's too bad. Just Three hours ago, my husband talked about a summer trip again for 2016. Last year a Caneel gift certificate was one of my Christmas gifts and we had a great trip in the summer....

We saw a lot of positive things in June- beach service, service in the restaurants, activities, zozos and such but felt the condition of the rooms as it related to updates definately needed immediate attention. We have embraced Caneel for what it offers as well as what it doesn't provide for 20 years but it does seem like the property has reached a point where significant change is needed.
pmk

Post by pmk »

I didn't realized that Caneel Bay was not longer managed by Rosewood.

Rosewood also concessioned Cinnamon Bay Campground. Has this also changed hands? I understand that it's been up for bid for quite a while, along with Trunk Bay's amenities.

pmk
scotties

Post by scotties »

As you can probably tell by our account name, our "special place" is Scott Beach at Caneel. Last time we were there was May of 2014. At that time the management had changed but we did not notice many differences. However it was early after the transition. We are planning another trip and were thinking of combining time at Little Dix Bay (never been there) with time at Caneel. We will probably go ahead and continue planning this since we feel the attraction to our "special place" getting stronger. Since we haven't been to Little Dix Bay before, any recommendations for beaches, things to do, etc?
lprof

Post by lprof »

Hello all! I am sorry to hear of these negative reflections of Caneel Bay. We have never stayed there but have had always thought we would someday. Hopefully things will improve with the management and conditions soon.

Scotties, we spent a couple of hours at Little Dix while on Virgin Gorda for the first time in 2013. While I can offer no advice nor opinions on the resort, I can say that we enjoyed the island very much... we are returning in February. For some ideas of what you might like there, my trip report is here:

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... na6h_Ggpac
... no longer a stranger to paradise
David 12

Post by David 12 »

Interestingly, they totally rebuilt the kids center and if you like Scott, they have renovated rooms 71 and 72. Not sure if you can request them specifically but they did look nice.

For me, it is more the infrastructure and room features of the place that need attention. There are still bright spots such as the service on Scott, the gelato/sandwich shop and zozo's. It is sure nice to have easy access to gorgeous and uncrowded beaches.

Kind of an interesting thought to offer villas for sale eventually on the property. I would hate to see that happen since it is a special place but continued cost cutting will,further erode the quality of caneel bay.

Dave
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

David 12 wrote: Kind of an interesting thought to offer villas for sale eventually on the property. I would hate to see that happen since it is a special place but continued cost cutting will,further erode the quality of caneel bay.

Dave
The land is owned by the NPS and from what I have read over the years is that the lease restricts what can and what cannot not be done on the property, hence the challenges with reonvating and or improving the existing structures,

The NPS ownership all buts prevents any development of the property beyond what is there so timeshares, villas, etc are very, very unlikely if not completely impossible.

From what we were told last time we stayed there was the management company had recently signed a new land lease. Management couldn't do any renovations until the new lease was signed. However, renovations seem to be slow in the making.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

This makes me sad. Normally I would discount Caneel bad reviews thinking that you just did not get it, but having read your reports over the years, I know you have a great affinity for Caneel. I hope you will still share your snorkel report!

I don't think spraying for bugs twice a day is a good idea at all. Bugs are part of the Caribbean. But, you're right, Caneel is so expensive and the service could be better. Last time we stayed there we had a " welcome to your first stay at Caneel" card in our room. It was our 15th stay at Caneel!

I don't think villas will or should ever be an option on that land, as it is owned by the National Park. But, if anyone on the forum is going to the Friends of VINP small discussion dinners next month, I would love to hear if the future of the Caneel property is one of the topics. I know I would want to talk about it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Sell? Doesn't the NPS own the place and lease it to a vendor?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

loria

Post by loria »

< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

The current management at Caneel has alienated local residents. We used to enjoy an occasional trip to the beach and snorkeling at Caneel. Then the mgt started charging $20 to park on the property with it being returned if you purchased $20 worth of food and drink. Then they made a rule that you can't bring a cooler along. Have become very snooty the past few years.

I recently went on a historic tour of the grounds with the Historical Society. In the past the HS was greeted warmly to the resort and allowed to tour it all. This year were not allowed to go to Turtle Bay. No one from the resort greeted us.

The current mgt is not welcoming and cordial. Only after the almighty dollar.

PS. I wouldn't stay somewhere where they sprayed for insects twice per day. If you want to avoid bites, wear long pants and long sleeves. That is what the locals do.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

iheartsj wrote: I recently went on a historic tour of the grounds with the Historical Society. In the past the HS was greeted warmly to the resort and allowed to tour it all. This year were not allowed to go to Turtle Bay. No one from the resort greeted us.
This is just speculation on my part...I wonder if they are restricting non-resort guest access to the Turtle Bay trail because that is the hike that the Arawak concession at Honeymoon Beach includes in their Caneel Bay kayak/hike/snorkel adventure trip?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.