provisioning on STT

Travel discussion for St. John
sandybottom

provisioning on STT

Post by sandybottom »

Hi all! This is my first post to this forum and I'll probably have lots of questions as our travel date get closer (wheels up 5/7/16), but I'll just stick to one for now:
We are 3 couples (ages 49-73) and we fly direct from CLT to STT, arriving before noon, probably with frozen steaks, spices, etc. in a checked bag. (We plan on dining in most nights). From there, we pick up our rental from Amalie and take the car barge to STJ. My question is: Is it better to pick up groceries on STT and if so, where should we stop and what should we plan to get? Rum, beer, bottled water, lunch fixings? I like the idea of picking up fresh fruit, vegetables, fish at the local market in St. John a few times while we're there...that's part of the fun to me.
Anyway, that's more than one question I guess, but any tips are helpful!
P-600

Re: provisioning on STT

Post by P-600 »

I'd stop at Fruit Bowl in the Wheatley Center for your fruits and vegetables. There are also many vendors on the sides of the road that have good produce. Then stop at Cost U Less for Beer, Rum etc. you have to sign up for a card but you don't have to pay for it. PriceMart a little further up will cost $15 for the card. Prices are much better over on STT compared to here.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

P-600 wrote:I'd stop at Fruit Bowl in the Wheatley Center for your fruits and vegetables. There are also many vendors on the sides of the road that have good produce. Then stop at Cost U Less for Beer, Rum etc. you have to sign up for a card but you don't have to pay for it. PriceMart a little further up will cost $15 for the card. Prices are much better over on STT compared to here.
These are the same stops we make on the way STJ. It is worth the time not only for the savings but for the better selection available too. I will say that last year St. John Market had great fruits and veggies.
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

I agree with all of the above with one caveat: Buy less than what you think you'll need. With all the great restaurants, smoothie stands and lunch stops on STJ, you'll wind up eating out more than you planned. (At least that's what always happens to us.)
kklay

Post by kklay »

We rent our vehicle from Amalie and always stop at Cost U Less to stock up on beer, liquor, eggs, snacks like Tostito chips, water,and a bag of charcoal. We cook out hot dogs and burgers on the beach that we bring with us. Our group is usually 6 to 10 and we are on St John for 10 plus days so it is a savings for us. We usually get 15-20 cases of beer (most of us are beer drinkers) and we save $3 to $5 per case over the cost on St John, for an example. Eggs are quite a bit cheaper too.
sandybottom

Post by sandybottom »

Thank you all for the great advice!
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

I find that fruit ripens much faster in the islands than what I am used to so don't overstock in the beginning.
KAY

Post by KAY »

After a recommendation from a villa rep several years ago we stop at Plaza Extra on STT for all of our groceries (dairy,fruit,veg,condiments,beer,wine,alcohol,etc). We are cooler people and normally only have 2-4 people in our group. Am I correct that you have to buy too large of quantities at cost u less for our small group for a 10 day visit or am I missing out?
Agree with Beachboy on the fruit and bread. I like to buy a loaf of french bread but it stales so fast! I have tried storing it in the microwave and fridge. Does anybody have a secret for keeping it fresh?
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

The produce at CUL is single servings, so you can pick out two onions, 4 potatoes, 2 limes etc, where as you need to buy a bag at Plaza Extra for many items. I think CUL could save you some money but it is a big store with long lines at check out. I think it makes sense to hit CUL if you live there but for a tourist staying a week or ten days it may not be worth the extra stop and time.

We keep chips, crackers and bread cut into single servings in the fridge or freezer. We stay right on the beach and if we decide to have crackers and cheese with friends on the beach the crackers get stale faster than you can eat them so keeping them in the freezer after opening makes sense.
KAY

Post by KAY »

Think I will stick with the one stop shop at Plaza Extra but will try the single servings in the freezer. Thanks Beachboy!!