Trip report from a newbie

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

Trip report from a newbie

Post by Connie »

I wrote a trip report on TA. I tried to copy and paste here but couldn't.

It's kind of long.

We loved STJ!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
lprof

Re: Trip report from a newbie

Post by lprof »

I love a long report! So glad that you had a happy STJ trip!
Here it is:

We always have stayed on STT and decided to change it up somewhat and stay on STJ. Although we took day trips, we only went as Trunk Bay, rented dinghies and ate at the Beach Bar. By ourselves or with 12 friends and their adult children, we really knew nothing about where to go, what to do, the markets, shopping, etc.

There was always a condo that I had in mind because someone I knew spent their honeymoon there and couldn't say enough good things about it. So that was always on my mind.

We went out of JFK for the direct flight on Delta. We won't do that again because in the end the drive up and back and the stay overnight wasn't worth the great prices we got on airfare. Also, PHL airport is much more convenient for us and JFK airport is just too big for us.

Going to try to break this down into this:

Getting a taxi at the airport in STT to the ferry in Red Hook:

Easy. Just walk out of the terminal and tell the guys you want a direct route to Red Hook. Everyone in the taxi/van will be going to the terminal. 15.00 pp and 2.00 per bag. We did now have to pay for our small collapsible cooler, duffle bag or backpack. Only for the real suitcase.

The Ferry:

6.00 pp and 2.00 for the bag. The ride over starts your vacation. We love sitting up top and just taking the sun in.

The Villa:

We were picked up at the ferry dock, by one of the owners in the car we rented from them for the week. So convenient. We got to the villa and were given a tour and some information. The name was Blueb$tch (tripadvisor won't let me type the correct name). Very close to Cruz Bay overlooking STT. Beautiful views. 1 BR, with stairs that go down to the water where you can snorkel or fish on your own private beach. I realized that the safety issue with this Villa is excellent. Not only do the Villa owners live upstairs, have a dog that will bark at anything that comes down their driveway, but there is no reason for anyone to come down the road. I would definitely rent this villa again. So relaxing.

Food:

We brought some snacks down and some pork roll. Pork roll is a must for us and it made for some great breakfast sandwiches.

Starfish Market. Our go to. We went there for almost everything. Juices, milk, crackers and some fruit. You can also get your beer, wine or rum right there. I found the prices to be reasonable on some things and on other things the price was crazy. They also have meats, chicken, chicken, etc. for those who want to grill. They have a huge selection of salads and already made meals. We probably went there every single day for something.

Longboard: Nice place. Open air. Great tacos. Great service and excellent frozen painkillers.

Beach Bar: first place we hit when we got there. I had to have there tuna down now, but couldn't eat it (more on that later). Husband had the Mahi sandwich and loved it.

Joe's Rum Hut: Very good. I had the Mahi sandwich and it was REALLY good. Husband had the gyro and said it was good.

Fish Trap: we had the shark bites for an appetizer and the blackened seafood platter. Loved it.

North Shore Deli: great, great sandwiches. We got 2 that week for the beach and another one for the return trip at the airport. Airport food sucks.

Beaches:

Hawksnest: great beach with excellent snorkeling. That reef with the elk horn and brain coral is amazing. We saw more at this beach than anywhere else. We went back on our last day.

Francis: nice beach, pretty good snorkeling and right down the street are the Annenburg ruins. We always like to go and see things like that.

Mahi: beautiful, good snorkeling.

The Kekoa catamaran:

We loved the Kekoa. It's big! We went to Mary's point first and then to Jost Van Dyke. This is a top notch boat with top notch crew. Unfortunately, there wasn't any wind this day, but they tried so hard to get the sails up. Unlimited drinks and fruit, banana bread and crackers/pineapple cream cheese....mmmmmm. Would definitely love to do this again. We were able to meet Pia and some other forum members.

Rain:

It rained almost everyday. It didn't really stop us from doing anything. They need the rain bad, so I was glad that got a fair amount. Don't let the rain stop you from doing what you have planned.

Dehydration:

No joke people. I got it. I was sitting at the Beach Bar and ordered Tuna Down Now and when it came, I just couldn't eat it. It was very very hot and humid on STJ and I hadn't had any water all day. By the next morning, I was really sick and weak. Stayed in the AC all day and drank lots of water.

Anyway, loved STJ. It's such a beautiful, safe Island. The only thing I regret is that we didn't stay for at least 10 days. Two days traveling and one day sick made it a short vacation for us. Didn't see 1/2 of what we wanted to see, but that gives a reason to be back someday
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thank you so much Lprof. I just couldn't do it on my iPad. I appreciate it.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Our wee devices are not the easiest! You are welcome! Thanks for sharing your trip.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
KAY

Post by KAY »

Thanks for the report! Booked flights today for our next visit so this just added to the excitement!! :D
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

Nice report. excellent point on hydrating. :)
High in the rockies?
Bill in Va

Post by Bill in Va »

Thank you for a great report. Good info. I agree with the need for 10 days. We arrive next Sat for two weeks. God bless....Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
Connie

Post by Connie »

Husband was sitting here and said "wish we were on Hawknest". We always try to book another vacation when we get back. So......I guess I better get moving.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

So Glad you had a great time...I agree...7 days is not enough, its just enough me mad.. :oops: Glad you enjoyed your first visit...maybe we will see you on STJ sometime in the future... :)
[/url]
Connie

Post by Connie »

"The talk" is going on in our house right now. Husband and I will be married 40 years next June. Where do the years go?

We have been all over the map on this. Europe? I want to go, but I would miss the sand and warm water. Sanibel? One of our favorite places, but no snorkeling. Mexico? Don't even know where to start with that. Husband thought, maybe a river cruise but I'm not real keen on sleeping on water.

I am going to try to talk him into STJ and STT. Stay on both. I think he'll like that idea :D