be aware of your surroundings

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

be aware of your surroundings

Post by loria »

this was just posted on Facebook ...
hopefully the police will catch the persons responsible

http://viconsortium.com/virgin-islands- ... hones/[url][/url]
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
loria

Re: be aware of your surroundings

Post by loria »

sorry -- i am not sure that link will work -- if someone can post it so the link works-- much obliged...
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

http://viconsortium.com/virgin-islands- ... ellphones/

See if this works.
This pair/group sounds brazen. Lets hope they are caught quickly before anyone is hurt.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I hope they catch them quickly. It's very disturbing to read about this knowing that they happened in generally "safer" places and earlier in the evening...
ArkieLovesSTJ

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

Given the timeframe of these incidents, I assume it was dark or nearly dark. I know that being out and about after dark, especially outside of a highly populated area, has my "Spidey Senses" on high alert. This would be the case if I am in NY, Dallas, Myrtle Beach, STJ or in my home town.

I don't like that this happened, but you can pick up the local paper anywhere and see these same type of things happening, at least periodically. Had these things happened downtown Cruz Bay it would definitely concern me more to me, but it sounds these happened in some what isolated places (I don't consider the overlook to be in the Mongoose Junction area.).
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

To me these are shocking incidents. We started going to St John in 1983 and our last visit was in 2013. Crime of any sort was negligible for years. Some murders in recent years were also shocking. This this type of crime sounds more like something that would happen in a large American city and usually in more dangerous areas. My wife and I have walked back to our accommodations in both of these areas after dark and never felt threatened. Although we plan to return to St John it may not be with the same carefree attitude that all is safe on such a beautiful island.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Although I've done day trips to STJ, I just don't know the areas. I know where the Beach Bar is.

Can somebody help me stay away from areas we shouldn't be around?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

I was just reading about this incident as well.

http://vifreepress.com/2015/09/woman-wa ... st-villas/
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Connie, most of the downtown area is pretty well lit and populated until midnight or later. These incidents were outside of town. The two main areas are Mongoose Junction and Wharfside Village, where the Beach Bar is. I have been to STJ on girls trips and been out as late as midnight and felt fine. There are "locals" bars and some sketchy looking ( maybe homeless or drug problems ) people in town but we have never been approached or felt threatened. Now, hearing this, I would be more alert but I don't venture off the beaten path in the dark anyway.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Pam, it sounds like the link you posted is about one of the same incidents as the earlier post.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Donna, it has been a week since I read the article but I thought the first incident occurred in the Gallows Point area or just past that. While it might not be considered downtown, it is an area frequented by tourists as there are numerous places to stay in the area. It is not a remote place or out of town at all. It is just around the point from Wharfside and Grande Bay.
The second incident sounds like it was on the North Shore Rd. just past Asolare. Not an isolated location. On the main road to all the North Shore beaches, Caneel and Cinnamon Bay Camps. This stretch has traffic until 10 pm or so when everyone had left town after dinner and entertainment.
These criminals are brazen and not afraid of the public. Hopefully the VIPD is making progress in the apprehension of these thugs especially since a gun was used in both crimes.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Connie

Post by Connie »

We will hope for the best. We are not late nighters at all. Give me a couple painkillers and I'm down for the night.

Looking forward to it and won't tell where we're staying. I may have referenced it in the past, but I don't want anybody following us home.

6 more days.

Can I have Rachaels's number again? I want to call her tonight.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
loria

Post by loria »

connie, maybe I'll see you there-- heading down on tuesday ....

but i don't get to town that much!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

"Hopefully the VIPD is making progress in the apprehension of these thugs especially since a gun was used in both crimes."

I wish I had confidence that they give a damn.