I know, wrong forum...

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

I know, wrong forum...

Post by mahojim »

However, I'd like to hear from you folks who I've, well, known and spoken to before about STJ, as we're all basically in the same boat with our love of the island.
So, here goes-
I was offered a studio to stay in at Bluebeards Beach Club on STT. The price is $600/ week.
Now, yes,-again- wrong forum to bring it up, but I like to think that we STJ lovers are like-minded, and would rather hear from you than from people who don't know what I'm "used to" on STJ, as compared to those who prefer STT.
Clearly I have no idea where to start with questions, and the obvious ferry to STJ is always there, which we'll undoubtedly use.
I'm guessing a Jeep rental is necessary. Hoping decent local restaurants are relatively close. Wanting to spend time on Water Island. Is this a good price for the rental?
Please give this some thought, and get back to me. Any insight is welcome, and Connie, Rick G, and Leticia;- I'm coming to you personally for answers!!!
Thanks, and always-
Smiles-
MJ
Connie

Re: I know, wrong forum...

Post by Connie »

Tried to call you.

Kidding me? Any place on STT is worth 600 a week. I've heard good things about Bluebeards. Yes, of course get a jeep.

Water Island is only by water. You can catch the "people" ferry in Charlotte Amalie area.

You would like Red Hook for the bars and restaurant.

We love Sapphire Beach and Smoth Bay for snorkeling and swimming.

Take it.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

How did you receive this offer? Be sure it is not a scam. There are a lot of scammers out there who will take your money in advance but there is not room when you get here.

Happens with cheap rentals on St. John regularly.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

BlueBeards is just outside the main part of charlotte amalie and on a nice hill above the harbor - it should have a great view with the ship, boat and seaplanes during the day and a sparkling lights vista at night.
A few good restaurants on property, and Frenchtown in just on the other side of town - with a really good selection of restaurant/ bar venues and menus.
A jeep will certainly widen your options to visit some beaches and other parts of STT but unless you are really planning to go off road in STT or STJ with a jeep any rental car will be good to have.
Water island is reached via a small ferry in Crown Bay Marina - aside of Tickles restaurant - a golf cart rental there can be a fun day exploring.
There are a lot of beaches, hotel or not, to explore on STT - and downtown in the early morning as the shops open and before the sheeple arrive is a delightful walking time.
If you take the rental car over to STJ remember the last car ferry is around sunset and dinner in Cruz Bay is not an option that day unless you bring the car back over to STT and take the people ferry .
Hey it is warm and sunny if it is winter time trip and a good price if the offer is real.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Jim,
I would do it in a heartbeat. A few years ago I found a sweet deal on a condo on STT the week before Xmas . We could not afford high season prices on STJ so this is what we did. We rented a jeep and did the car ferry two days leaving early and returning for dinner/ happy hour. We were right next door to Bolongo Bay and they have a great happy hour, fun Caribbean night and decent food and a waterfront view. One day we did the people ferry mid afternoon. We hung out around Cruz Bay...walked, shopped, did happy hour, dinner and visited bars. Returned late night (10 hee hee) . We also did a New Horizons boat day to the baths, Jost and marina cay. I would do it again if it gets me to STJ
RockyDockWI

Post by RockyDockWI »

@Exit Zero: MahoJim mentioned "Bluebeards Beach Club on STT" which I think is the old Lime Tree Beach/Hotel location.

@MahoJim: I sent you a PM in last March as an alternative location to stay, which I thought might be of interest to you.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

My error on the location - yes the Beach Club is at the Limetree Beach - even nicer than being in town but for sure you need a rental car staying there.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Wrong forum or not, it seems to be a win win for you if it gets you back in the general vicinity for an extra week. I was worried when we first started staying on other islands that it wouldn't be the same or as nice as St John.

My fears quickly dissipated as soon as the hot air hit my face on the STT tarmac. Do lots of research about the opportunities withing the resort, walking distance, and driving distance. Many opportunities for day trips to other islands, and bonus, a chance to explore some beaches that you normally pop past in your usual journey to St John.

I must admit, I would have to put the options and cost in a spreadsheet to see if it really was a bargain. By the time you add the additional ferry costs and the travel time it might not seem like such a great deal.

Either way, I wanted to pipe in that staying on the other islands is something everyone should do once, it is different, not bad different, just different.
VIlanders

Post by VIlanders »

You will love the place and it is a really good deal. Quiet but so beautiful with all the ships and smaller boats going into the harbor. We spend a week of our trip in February there and have a great time. It was renovated a few years ago. Lots of good places to eat downtown, Frenchtown and at Bluebeard's Castle. The beach and pool are very nice there but we do travel to other beaches, too, and love to go over to Red Hook at night. Also visit St. John which I know you really love. You'll like Water Island, too.

Let me know if you have any questions.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks for all of the input, folks!
Will let you know what we decide.
I really like the idea, I think, mostly so we can chill out a little bit on Water Island.
Smiles-
MJ