Boat Trip to the BVIs

Travel discussion for St. John
ncsusan

Boat Trip to the BVIs

Post by ncsusan »

We are returning in January for our seventh trip and want to do a boat trip to the BVIs. We have never done one before and want to get an idea of whether its worth a day off of St. John. There will be nine of us so the cost is a big concern.

If you have done a BVI Trip, can you share your best suggestions of who to go with and what to do. I have heard that some charters feel very rushed and that won't work for our group. We would rather enjoy a few places than hurry from place to place to fit everything in.

Thanks!
pswlrw

Re: Boat Trip to the BVIs

Post by pswlrw »

I highly recommend Born to Rhumb. Our boat day with them is always our favorite day of the vacation. They will tailor the trip for you, the boat is comfortable and Shane and Andi are fabulous hosts.
Paula

Pia

Post by Pia »

Born To Rhumb is a fabulous choice but Andi and Shane are selling the business (have sold their business unless something has changed in the last few weeks) and not sure who the new owners are.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I can recommend Jimmy and Bridgette at Palm Tree Charters. They bought the business from John Brandi and have carried on his tradition of friendliness and hospitality very well. You will have a great day with them.
RD

Post by RD »

Are groups larger than 6 okay for either of those charters? We have a group of 8 going down in November and I was under the impression that 6 guests were the max for some boats.
Pia

Post by Pia »

BTR carries up to 12 for BVI PTC is a 6 pac

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

In our travels to St John we have used Kekoa twice to snorkel and explore the BVI. More specifically Jost, Indians, and Willy-T. We have never felt rushed. They can take I believe 25 or so. You more than likely would be with other families. It is a great experience. Kekoa is a sailboat so not a fast trip by any means.

Ocean Runner has a boat that fits your needs with and without a guide. Check them out!
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

I highly recommend Pirates Penny/Stormy Petrel. We have used them for at least 8 trips. We rent the entire boat and set our own itinerary. They are the best. :D
ncsusan

Post by ncsusan »

Thanks everyone. So many great suggestions! Now the hard part -waiting until January to get here!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Capt'n Holly Payne on the Finest Kind. Smooth ride and great time for sure on a great vessel. You can reach her (760) 255-4440 I am pretty must positive that she can hold 8 easily
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

Ocean Peterson on the Catania. I think he can do 9 and BVIs. Super personal and a great trip.

Edit: Looks like 6 max but I'm leaving the plug up, it was that good of an experience. http://www.cataniayachtcharters.com/