Travel discussion for St. John
sabum1

Ferry for 1:30 flight

Post by sabum1 »

What time should we catch the ferry for 1:30 flight out of STT? Thanks
loria

Re: Ferry for 1:30 flight

Post by loria »

high season? they say you should arrive 3 hours ahead of time...i find two usually works (and have squeezed by on one... but just barely ) but it is day and time of year dependent! you could probably get away with the 11 -- but you may want to be safe with the 10. if it is a weekend -- and high season -- then DEFINITELY the 10
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
sabum1

Post by sabum1 »

Thanks loria. We are leaving this Sunday. I
loria

Post by loria »

safe travels! the island ought to be a bit greener when you arrive! lovely time of year!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
loria

Post by loria »

one thing that saved me last time -- check in ONLINE before you go -- that way if you arrive late they cannot deny your checked bags (if you have them ) -- also using a porter (a good use of a 20 dollar tip) can sometime speed the process thru customs/checkin -- that airport is so arbitrary it's insane.
Pia

Post by Pia »

No later than the 10am for sure - with people being cancelled for today's (and possibly some of tomorrows) flights the airport will be a zoo for sure with people trying to get a flight out.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

A couple years ago, I arrived 1 hour and 50 minutes prior to my scheduled flight. There was absolutely no one in line at any ticket counter. The women behind the counter refused to allow me to check in because I was too late. I had to come back the next day.

I would suggest you get there plenty early. The ticket agent may be having a bad day.
nuendelcapecod

Post by nuendelcapecod »

We prefer the ferry that goes to Charlotte Amalie. It's less time in a crowded taxi and more time on the water. We do get to the airport early as the ferry in March leaves at 9:15 am but the taxi men will hold your bags in Charlotte Amalie while you explore the outdoor market and many shops on the waterfront.
Pia

Post by Pia »

The CA ferry leaves at 8:45am (not 9:15am) but I am not sure it is running currently (low season) but you could call on the day and ask and if not catch the 9am Red Hook

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
kklay

Post by kklay »

I would plan for the 9am ferry. That gives you time for any traffic or ferry delays you might experience. This would also give you time to get a bite to eat or pick up some sandwiches to eat in the airport or on the plane on your way back home.
loria

Post by loria »

i generally take the 10 or 1030 barge for a 1 pm flight and have few problems -- granted with the storm there will be back up -- but you are arriving tomorrow and not leaving for a week -- right?